This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any Good JRPGs That Don't Feature...

#31antoinejonesPosted 1/9/2013 7:24:35 AM
"Apparently the male character on the cover of Ar Tonelico Qoga is 17, but he still looks like a rail-thin 11-year-old. You can't tell me that dude is almost six feet tall and 170 lbs."

Umm Im 5'7'' and 125 lbs... and Im 29

most ppl who meet/see me for the first time think Im 16.. infact when I was walking down the street a few days ago, cops pulled up n the side of me and asked why I wasnt in school (it was during school hours lol)... so yeah Id like to know what planet YOU live on where EVERYONE looks their age...
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#32SieKensouPosted 1/9/2013 7:24:53 AM
HatredInfinite posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
"Keep in mind, like I said, it's not the art style of these games that irks me, just the characters."

"And I, admittedly, am not familiar enough with the games I listed to know how old the characters are SUPPOSED to be but it's pretty clear that a great deal of them are intended to look stupidly young"

Then it is the art style. Sorry. You'll either have to get used to it, or stop playing them, because it's never going to change. It's their culture.

Character design doesn't account for the entirety of art style and not all JRPGs feature a pedo-bear approved cast. This is something that used to just be a niche thing, at least stateside. Although I suppose most of the titles I listed were spawned directly from that niche. It's just disappointing when characters don't look even remotely age-appropriate. Apparently the male character on the cover of Ar Tonelico Qoga is 17, but he still looks like a rail-thin 11-year-old. You can't tell me that dude is almost six feet tall and 170 lbs.

really... you're using caucasian standards on an asian game?.. go visit any asian country and tell me their average size and weight for teens...

and the art style known as "chibi" does not mean they are drawn as kids.... there's chibi adults and chibi kids... thereis a difference...

i guess this is confirmation that cute doesn't work in north america. nor writing forms that aren't pro america........

and what's with this "pedo-bear approved cast" that you speak of?... when you go to a beach and see kids/teens in bikinis, do you immediately think jailbait?
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#33SieKensouPosted 1/9/2013 7:26:10 AM
antoinejones posted...
"Apparently the male character on the cover of Ar Tonelico Qoga is 17, but he still looks like a rail-thin 11-year-old. You can't tell me that dude is almost six feet tall and 170 lbs."

most ppl who meet/see me for the first time think Im 16.. infact when I was walking down the street a few days ago, cops pulled up n the side of me and asked why I wasnt in school (it was during school hours lol)... so yeah Id like to know what planet YOU live on where EVERYONE looks their age...

just curious... are you of asian descent?
---
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#34ShineboxerPosted 1/9/2013 7:27:36 AM
HatredInfinite posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
"Keep in mind, like I said, it's not the art style of these games that irks me, just the characters."

"And I, admittedly, am not familiar enough with the games I listed to know how old the characters are SUPPOSED to be but it's pretty clear that a great deal of them are intended to look stupidly young"

Then it is the art style. Sorry. You'll either have to get used to it, or stop playing them, because it's never going to change. It's their culture.

Character design doesn't account for the entirety of art style and not all JRPGs feature a pedo-bear approved cast. This is something that used to just be a niche thing, at least stateside. Although I suppose most of the titles I listed were spawned directly from that niche. It's just disappointing when characters don't look even remotely age-appropriate. Apparently the male character on the cover of Ar Tonelico Qoga is 17, but he still looks like a rail-thin 11-year-old. You can't tell me that dude is almost six feet tall and 170 lbs.

really... you're using caucasian standards on an asian game?.. go visit any asian country and tell me their average size and weight for teens...

and the art style known as "chibi" does not mean they are drawn as kids.... there's chibi adults and chibi kids... thereis a difference...

i guess this is confirmation that cute doesn't work in north america. nor writing forms that aren't pro america........

and what's with this "pedo-bear approved cast" that you speak of?... when you go to a beach and see kids/teens in bikinis, do you immediately think jailbait?

Woah woah Der Fuher.

Those are kids, the dialog in most of the games is completely brain dead like most kids.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#35killakPosted 1/9/2013 7:32:34 AM
Having no interest in something is not tantamount to fearing it. Good to know that you like to put children and erections in the same train of thought though.

You must be new around here.
---
LoL... DSP did his funniest moments of 2012 set.... except they're all about his own content.
#36ShineboxerPosted 1/9/2013 7:34:59 AM
Here comes the pedophilia accusations as last resort.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#37CrysianiaPosted 1/9/2013 7:40:16 AM
jammies posted...
Dragon's Dogma

Not a jrpg. However it is one awesome game.
---
PSN - Sacred_Darksoul
#38rumbalumbaPosted 1/9/2013 7:43:20 AM
any good hack-n-slash that don't feature adults?
---
Everyone should play Ni No Kuni.
#39SieKensouPosted 1/9/2013 7:43:54 AM
rumbalumba posted...
any good hack-n-slash that don't feature adults?

zelda
---
#40HatredInfinite(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2013 7:46:08 AM
antoinejones posted...

A dude flailing a sword that big should look his age, and the height/weight I listed were pulled straight from the ATQ wiki which I would assume is using stats pulled from the booklet.

SieKensou posted...
HatredInfinite posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

Height/weight stats were pulled directly from ATQ wiki, it's not some random numbers I pulled out of my ass. All I did was convert from centimeters and kilograms into inches and pounds and then round it off to an even number. And the "pedo-bear approved cast" statement ties in directly with the f**king loli obsession that half these games seem to cater to.

http://artonelico.wikia.com/wiki/Aoto
179cm is about 70.5in which is about an inch and a half shy of six-foot flat. 78kg is 167lbs.

And I don't want to play a "cute" game. That's why I'm asking if there are any RPGs currently on PS3 that break the trend. You apparently like cute games, I don't. We have differing opinions and I fail to see the problem in that. I came here asking for recommendations and offering my tastes as a point of reference and then all of a sudden people who can't handle opinions that differ from their own come out of the woodwork and try to talk down to me.
---
PSN: HatredInfinite