This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any Good JRPGs That Don't Feature...

#81SieKensouPosted 1/9/2013 9:00:04 AM
ScreamingMidget posted...
HatredInfinite posted...
Small children comprising most of the cast? I have no problem with vibrant environments and even cartoony design, but I don't find the whole Little-League-Saves-The-World/Loli Fan Service junk even remotely appealing and it seems to be completely and utterly dominating the genre of late.

Are people blind or just ignorant?

Everyone seems to act like NIS, Compile Heart, Gust and Idea Factory are the only Japanese developers.

those companies don't even make games nor game stories in the same way >.> to lump them together is foolish.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#82SieKensouPosted 1/9/2013 9:00:29 AM
DragoonGriffith posted...
Shineboxer posted...
All the older characters added to loli Jrpg's are just the pedo fantasy of the creator.

Outside of two-three games, none of them feature loli fanservice.
What are you talking about?

---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#83TiaelPosted 1/9/2013 9:00:36 AM
DragoonGriffith posted...
Shineboxer posted...
All the older characters added to loli Jrpg's are just the pedo fantasy of the creator.

Outside of two-three games, none of them future loli fanservice.

He's been trolling JRPGs on the PS3 board for ages now.
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#84ShineboxerPosted 1/9/2013 9:03:30 AM
Shineboxer posted...

Outside of two-three games, none of them future loli fanservice.

Oh fine... if the number is what you're going by then jailbait.

He's been trolling JRPGs on the PS3 board for ages now.

Nope, just enlightened.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#85Devilman_AmonPosted 1/9/2013 9:05:54 AM(edited)
Shineboxer is just part of Trolltron: Troller of the Universe

He forms the torso

TheWarHorse and KingMichael1337 form feet and legs

wstfld and MyWifeBeatsMe form the arms

and TimeOfTheDark forms....the head

Let's go Trolltron Force!

---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#86Spiroth_KweehhPosted 1/9/2013 9:05:37 AM
HatredInfinite posted...
antoinejones posted...
"Apparently the male character on the cover of Ar Tonelico Qoga is 17, but he still looks like a rail-thin 11-year-old. You can't tell me that dude is almost six feet tall and 170 lbs."

Umm Im 5'7'' and 125 lbs... and Im 29

most ppl who meet/see me for the first time think Im 16.. infact when I was walking down the street a few days ago, cops pulled up n the side of me and asked why I wasnt in school (it was during school hours lol)... so yeah Id like to know what planet YOU live on where EVERYONE looks their age...

A dude flailing a sword that big should look his age, and the height/weight I listed were pulled straight from the ATQ wiki which I would assume is using stats pulled from the booklet.

SieKensou posted...
HatredInfinite posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
"Keep in mind, like I said, it's not the art style of these games that irks me, just the characters."

"And I, admittedly, am not familiar enough with the games I listed to know how old the characters are SUPPOSED to be but it's pretty clear that a great deal of them are intended to look stupidly young"

Then it is the art style. Sorry. You'll either have to get used to it, or stop playing them, because it's never going to change. It's their culture.

Character design doesn't account for the entirety of art style and not all JRPGs feature a pedo-bear approved cast. This is something that used to just be a niche thing, at least stateside. Although I suppose most of the titles I listed were spawned directly from that niche. It's just disappointing when characters don't look even remotely age-appropriate. Apparently the male character on the cover of Ar Tonelico Qoga is 17, but he still looks like a rail-thin 11-year-old. You can't tell me that dude is almost six feet tall and 170 lbs.

really... you're using caucasian standards on an asian game?.. go visit any asian country and tell me their average size and weight for teens...

and the art style known as "chibi" does not mean they are drawn as kids.... there's chibi adults and chibi kids... thereis a difference...

i guess this is confirmation that cute doesn't work in north america. nor writing forms that aren't pro america........

and what's with this "pedo-bear approved cast" that you speak of?... when you go to a beach and see kids/teens in bikinis, do you immediately think jailbait?

Height/weight stats were pulled directly from ATQ wiki, it's not some random numbers I pulled out of my ass. All I did was convert from centimeters and kilograms into inches and pounds and then round it off to an even number. And the "pedo-bear approved cast" statement ties in directly with the f**king loli obsession that half these games seem to cater to.

http://artonelico.wikia.com/wiki/Aoto
179cm is about 70.5in which is about an inch and a half shy of six-foot flat. 78kg is 167lbs.

You apparently like cute games, I don't. We have differing opinions and I fail to see the problem in that. I came here asking for recommendations and offering my tastes as a point of reference and then all of a sudden people who can't handle opinions that differ from their own come out of the woodwork and try to talk down to me.

Not trying to change your opinion or anything, just a fact thrown around:

I was 185 cm and 78 Kg at age 12.
Now at the age of 26 and a half I'm 185cm/95Kg lol.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#87TiaelPosted 1/9/2013 9:07:30 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Shineboxer is just part of Trolltron: Troller of the Universe

He forms the torso

TheWarHorse and KingMichael1337 form feet and legs

wstfld and MyWifeBeatsMe form the arms

and TimeOfTheDark forms....the head

Let's go Trolltron Force!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZv5Z2Iz_s
---
Ni no Kuni - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
Dragon Quest > Tales of > Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all three. Da Bears!
#88Spiroth_KweehhPosted 1/9/2013 9:15:49 AM
EDIT to previous post:

Daaaamn, I'm 25 and a half, not 26. -_____-
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#89schadowPosted 1/9/2013 9:23:54 AM
Spiroth_Kweehh posted...
EDIT to previous post:

Daaaamn, I'm 25 and a half, not 26. -_____-

You can edit posts in 'message detail'.
---
Soundcloud.com/komodovaran
My humble hobby project. Comment/rate if you have the spare time!
#90antoinejonesPosted 1/9/2013 9:26:56 AM(edited)
oh and as for someone being thin as a rail with a big sword... oh yeah thats right.... I forgot.. cause EVERY video game Ive played makes TONS of sense.. because theyre ALL REAL and follow our rules of physics... oh wait.. my bad... NONE of them do... even the "realistic:" on es have crap thats impossible..

nathan drake for example.. who has the upper body strength to hang from a ledge.. and proper themselves 50 feet up to another length without a running start of any forward momentum? not to mention falling 500 feet and grabbing a ledge... you try that in real life an your arms or wrists are bound to break from a sudden stop after falling that far and accumulating that speed from pull of gravity..

or lets not talk about games with underwater level (mario).. news flash being under water does NOT make people jump as if they were on the moon....

yet do I hear anyone complain about those things? but then a scrawny person wields a sword the size of a skyscrapper and now its a problem? ookay

how about the fact that you can get hit by attacks that literally destroys planets.. yet doesnt one shot you?

or the fact that you can respawn in multiplayer games..... Ive only know ONE game where re-spawning was at least scientifically (science fiction) explained so they at least TRIED to make it make sense (and did a good job) as opposed to it being "this is how the game is dont ask questions"

some people need to learn to take GAMES for what they are instead of taking them so seriously.. you want serious/realistic.... walk outside the front door.
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.