This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FF7 and FF10 had the best combat systems.

#141ViraugePosted 1/10/2013 11:23:02 AM
I'd have to say the best battle system was in FFXII but it wasn't until last game. I set my party up with mage/tank/DD and setup gambits according. the only downfall was you needed to get 2/3-3/4 done the fricken game to get viable gambits so you don't have 3 characters doing the exact same thing. They should of made all or most gambits available from the start, maybe have some great ones hidden in chests.

Late game FFXIII you could set one up with protect/shell/lure/bubble/reflect as your tank with sword/shield with gambits to keep this toon buffing itself and healing itself. Set one up with mage gear, hitting debuffs and nukes and the occasional heal for the tank. The third you could give a 2hd weapon or ranged weapon and berserk them for pure damage.

The game was actually really fun to farm area and such late game, too bad you needed to drop 10-20 hours in it before it was really this fun. One of the reasons I guess I enjoyed this battle system so much is because I played FFXI for about 4 years so it reminded me of that. Oh well, it's just my opinion.
#142SieKensouPosted 1/10/2013 11:26:53 AM
Virauge posted...
I'd have to say the best battle system was in FFXII but it wasn't until last game. I set my party up with mage/tank/DD and setup gambits according. the only downfall was you needed to get 2/3-3/4 done the fricken game to get viable gambits so you don't have 3 characters doing the exact same thing. They should of made all or most gambits available from the start, maybe have some great ones hidden in chests.

Late game FFXIII you could set one up with protect/shell/lure/bubble/reflect as your tank with sword/shield with gambits to keep this toon buffing itself and healing itself. Set one up with mage gear, hitting debuffs and nukes and the occasional heal for the tank. The third you could give a 2hd weapon or ranged weapon and berserk them for pure damage.

The game was actually really fun to farm area and such late game, too bad you needed to drop 10-20 hours in it before it was really this fun. One of the reasons I guess I enjoyed this battle system so much is because I played FFXI for about 4 years so it reminded me of that. Oh well, it's just my opinion.

those problems aren't with the battle system.. it is the balance issues with item placement and such.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#143TerotrousPosted 1/10/2013 11:27:06 AM
SieKensou posted...
special conditions like "cannot " is not the same as "talk action" in ffx nor is it the same as "battle action" of ffx... they may have transferred by influence but they aren't the same.

battle action is supposed to mimic what you are able to do in Grandia... being able to adjust the field or perform different things because of restrictions.. etc... am i really that "special" in being able to isolate battle system and such? is this because i am into game development? =.=

They don't, though. Talking has no effect on the fight, it just slightly alters the enemy's stats. The two battle actions both affect which characters are capable of hitting the enemy. For the other 99.9% of the game, it plays identically to all other turn based RPGs.

It's simply not comparable to something like Grandia in any way.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#144SieKensouPosted 1/10/2013 11:29:42 AM(edited)
Terotrous posted...
SieKensou posted...
special conditions like "cannot " is not the same as "talk action" in ffx nor is it the same as "battle action" of ffx... they may have transferred by influence but they aren't the same.

battle action is supposed to mimic what you are able to do in Grandia... being able to adjust the field or perform different things because of restrictions.. etc... am i really that "special" in being able to isolate battle system and such? is this because i am into game development? =.=

They don't, though. Talking has no effect on the fight, it just slightly alters the enemy's stats. The two battle actions both affect which characters are capable of hitting the enemy. For the other 99.9% of the game, it plays identically to all other turn based RPGs.

It's simply not comparable to something like Grandia in any way.

again, i said they weren't implemented in the rest of the game as they should have been... or at least been integrated into many more battles. they introduce it to you at the beginnign of the game, then completely abandon it for several hours before reintroducing it to you several hours later...

actually it's far more than just several hours.... =.=
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#1454dfmaEFPosted 1/10/2013 11:32:59 AM(edited)
FFX had a good mix, if not the best, of unique character development and if you were that nuts, go for everyone can do everything.

The Grid offered variety, if you explored it of course, and complete customization at the same time. It was a good mix.

7 was very close to it but more limited because of the equipment.

And the EP thing was a bit annoying but not a game breaker. You could swap them in/out and do a move, that's it.
I beat Dark Ixion with at least one completely under-leveled character with just the tools at my disposal.

IMO TC is right.
---
To keep is what I long for.
#146jubjub360Posted 1/10/2013 11:31:56 AM
Romangelo posted...
XIII > X-2 > X

Lol not according to your signature.
---
Wanna see a professional spinner?http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64907080 look at zuuku specifically!
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
#147TerotrousPosted 1/10/2013 11:46:03 AM
SieKensou posted...
again, i said they weren't implemented in the rest of the game as they should have been... or at least been integrated into many more battles. they introduce it to you at the beginnign of the game, then completely abandon it for several hours before reintroducing it to you several hours later...

I think you're basing this more on a guess about what they might have been used for as opposed to what they actually are used for. There's really no ingame evidence to suggest they were ever intended as anything more than a gimmick element to a few boss fights.

It's sort of like saying you thought they originally intended for you to traverse FF7's map via Motorcycle, Snowboard, and Submarine, due to those three minigames. As it stands, they're just little diversions that they tossed in. If they ever had plans for them to play a bigger role we'll never know.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#148ChargrilledPosted 1/10/2013 11:50:43 AM
meh, i hated 7 and 10 combat systems.

12 and 13 were great as far as im concerned.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#149SSx4LeonjrPosted 1/10/2013 12:05:11 PM(edited)
VII Was awsome basic ATB, the materia system let you customize characters to fit a specific role.
Need a Tank?, load up on HP plus materia & Str. enhancing Materias & add a few differant attack Materias,
Want a Mage?...Well you get the gist.

While X's style of combat was good I actually liked XII's more. Being able to see your enemies so you can pick your battles, being able to maneuver in combat to keep those close quarters type fighters from hitting & such...,ahh I loved it!

XIII & XIII-2 is just horrid plain & simple!!
---
X-box GT: SSx4 Leonjr PSN name:D_and_K_Dobbs
Waiting for Final Fantasy:XIV A Realm Reborn (PS3)
#150PPPPLAASSUMAPosted 1/10/2013 12:22:42 PM
I like ALL FF battle systems.

The games themselves however..... I have a different outlook.

Favorite/best battle system would go to FF12 for me.

Everything about that game is just what I think FF should be or strive to be similar to. Exploration, variety, an adult oriented story and characters (for the most part, and I didn't say it was a good story, just more mature), and a battle system you can play any number of ways. You don't *have* to auto battle, and you don't *have* to use gambits either. Not to mention a HUGE NONLINEAR WORLD to explore, with areas beyond your capabilities opening up every so often to test your current team.

Worst system, even though I liked it for it's simplicity, would be FFX.

Whoever thought of that one.... well I hope thy didn't take credit for it. It's just your basic turn based system that's been in use since.... D&D? I believe the turn queue was done by Grandia first, and not sure about the switching... it may be the only original thing they added (but made the game either too easy or a chore as others said).
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxCr5ju2EE&feature=related - If you played Mystical Ninja 64, you need to click this.