This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FF7 and FF10 had the best combat systems.

#71darkphoenix181Posted 1/10/2013 9:33:09 AM(edited)
SieKensou posted...
so from battle systems the discussion is now about growth/development mechanics? >.> stay on topic ppl......

They influence the skills you use in battle. For example in FFXIII, there wasn't one. Just "unlocking" skills. So there really wasn't a growth system. And every playthrough you get the same skills pretty much. You can choose a few to learn before others maybe, but really it is just like leveling up and not custimization.
In FF7 you actually choose what your character uses and that has a huge impact on the flow of the battle.
---
Megaman Legends 3 :( NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
#72SieKensouPosted 1/10/2013 9:32:44 AM
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...
so from battle systems the discussion is now about growth/development mechanics? >.> stay on topic ppl......

They influence the skills you use in battle. For example in FFXIII, there wasn't one. Just "unlocking" skills. So there really wasn't a growth system.
In FF7 you actually choose what your character uses and that has a huge impact on the flow of the battle.

crystarium = growth system.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#73TerotrousPosted 1/10/2013 9:35:30 AM
SieKensou posted...
so from battle systems the discussion is now about growth/development mechanics?

Well yeah. Whether you win or lose a battle in a turn-based RPG is rarely a matter of selecting the right commands in battle, it's about having your characters properly prepared before the battle begins. As such, customization plays a major role in the gameplay or any standard RPG and ones where you can't customize tend to be fairly dull, especially if they're also not very hard.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#74darkphoenix181Posted 1/10/2013 9:38:09 AM(edited)
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...

They influence the skills you use in battle. For example in FFXIII, there wasn't one. Just "unlocking" skills. So there really wasn't a growth system.

perhaps I got carried away. It is one, but not very good imo. I dislike the extreme linearity. In essence that makes it weak on a customization level. And if a game dictates your growth, that isn't a growth system, that is just leveling up.
However, I admit that you had more than 1 line in FFXIII. So I guess I can't say it wasn't one.
---
#75SieKensouPosted 1/10/2013 9:38:36 AM
Terotrous posted...
SieKensou posted...
so from battle systems the discussion is now about growth/development mechanics?

Well yeah. Whether you win or lose a battle in a turn-based RPG is rarely a matter of selecting the right commands in battle, it's about having your characters properly prepared before the battle begins. As such, customization plays a major role in the gameplay or any standard RPG and ones where you can't customize tend to be fairly dull, especially if they're also not very hard.

battle system =/= growth mechanics...

growth mechanics:
sphere grid =/= traditional level up

battle systems:
grandia 3's battle system =/= Eternal Sonata's battle system =/= FFX =/= FFX-2 =/= FF!3
---
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#76SieKensouPosted 1/10/2013 9:39:54 AM
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...

perhaps I got carried away. It is one, but not very good imo. I dislike the extreme linearity. In essence that makes it weak on a customization level. And if a game dictates your growth, that isn't a growth system, that is just leveling up.
However, I admit that you had more than 1 line in FFXIII. So I guess I can't say it wasn't one.

err... in FF13, you DO have "only 1 line" for each of the classes....

in FF10, you can branch off anywhere as long as you have the appropriate key to unlock it.

i gave everyone Steal, Mug, and Use....

just love having Wakka use Mug...
---
#77darkphoenix181Posted 1/10/2013 9:42:26 AM
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...

in FF10, you can branch off anywhere as long as you have the appropriate key to unlock it.

1 line for each class yes. But you can choose which of the lines you level up first. So there is 6 lines in the end because of 6 classes. That is why I got carried away and said it didn't have a growth system. But since there is some level of customization (very very little) then I take back what I said.
---
#78songoku0206Posted 1/10/2013 9:44:10 AM
Godly_Goof posted...
xxcheexx posted...
Materia system was awesome.

Watered down magicite? No was really bad :/
Not to mention the beginning of all party members playing the exact same >.>
I am glad someone else feels the same, 7 battle system was also broken by able to use hypers with no draw backs
#79kilaudePosted 1/10/2013 9:44:50 AM
Hellraiser555 posted...
I agree, TC. I agree.
#80SieKensouPosted 1/10/2013 9:46:27 AM
darkphoenix181 posted...
SieKensou posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...

1 line for each class yes. But you can choose which of the lines you level up first. So there is 6 lines in the end because of 6 classes. That is why I got carried away and said it didn't have a growth system. But since there is some level of customization (very very little) then I take back what I said.

all of the classes are level capped by each chapter.... or few chapters....
---