This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT stupidest arguments related to gaming you have heard this gen

#11zyrax2301Posted 1/10/2013 12:59:33 PM
darkphoenix181 posted...
SigmaHaciel posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
Shipped =/= Sold.
Oh really? Last time I checked retailers didn't get items for free nor do they pay Sony/Microsoft only when customers buy off the shelf.
Not only that, the mentality here is that retailers just aimlessly stock up on products despite whether customers are actually buying them or not.

Must be why I always see things in stock eh?

Think about that logically. You always see certain things in stock. Yet the same store is buying more of that specific thing via having them shipped to the store.
So please explain why the store would buy more of something if it just sits on the shelf forever?

In this industry, a sold copy of a game means a consumer sale, not a supplier's stock purchase. Joke's on you mac.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#12theshovellerPosted 1/10/2013 1:01:09 PM
darkphoenix181 posted...
Shipped =/= Sold.
Oh really? Last time I checked retailers didn't get items for free nor do they pay Sony/Microsoft only when customers buy off the shelf.
Not only that, the mentality here is that retailers just aimlessly stock up on products despite whether customers are actually buying them or not.

The argument about that one I could see as "they sold it to retailers, but sales to customers were low, resulting in tons of unsold copies at retailers, resulting in a generally poor reception by the gaming masses, resulting in less copies ordered in the future by companies regarding that developer / publisher / franchise / whatever." But I'm no analyst, so I don't worry about that one.

"Game X sucks despite me not playing it, and it should have never been made." I don't think I have to go into that one too much. I can understand not liking a game in particular - that's fine and "normal" - but not playing a game, then deeming it unfit of even existing? I'm sorry not everything caters to you, Your Highness, we'll make sure every single thing in the world has your approval before being made or done.
#13katamari_of_warPosted 1/10/2013 1:01:57 PM
Souls vs. Scrolls

They are not trying to be the same thing so quit fighting over which is better.
#14darkphoenix181(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 1:08:52 PM
theshoveller posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
Shipped =/= Sold.

The argument about that one I could see as "they sold it to retailers, but sales to customers were low, resulting in tons of unsold copies at retailers, resulting in a generally poor reception by the gaming masses, resulting in less copies ordered in the future by companies regarding that developer / publisher / franchise / whatever." But I'm no analyst, so I don't worry about that one.

But that is the whole point. We get news of new units shipped and people use this argument. But new units shipped means the most of the old units shipped were those already purchased and the retailer's analysts figured out that this new batch will also most likely be purchased as well.

If a console comes out and reports to ship 5 mil units then claims it sold that many without ever shipping any again, then that argument has some pull. But this hasn't happened and yet people try to argue that.

Also the argument assumes retailers are inherently stupid and don't have analysts who determine what they buy in the future.
---
Megaman Legends 3 :( NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
#15TheMcKnightMarePosted 1/10/2013 1:14:19 PM
Final fantasy ___ is the best final fantasy ever
No final fantasy ___ is easily superior
Idiots... Final fantasy ___ had the best battle system
_____ was a terrible protagonist in final fantasy ___ compared to _____
final fantasy ___ had hotter chicks
Bro.... Seriously... That final boss in final fantasy ___ trumps all

I could do this all day....
---
PSN: TheMcKnightMare - Twitter: @TheMcKnightMare
#16thisranksPosted 1/10/2013 1:21:10 PM
katamari_of_war posted...
Souls vs. Scrolls

They are not trying to be the same thing so quit fighting over which is better.

That's the regionally challenged for you. Expect ignorance when you see those topics. The regionally challenged are like a poor excuse of a plague on gaming.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#17archizzyPosted 1/10/2013 1:32:13 PM
On any given day just come to this board and look at the majority of the topics on the first page. They usually fit the criteria of this topic.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#18ThePatrickPosted 1/10/2013 1:34:47 PM
"Japan sucks!" vs. "The West sucks!"
"DLC has destroyed gaming!"
"Trophies/Achievements have destroyed gaming!"
"I think story is much more important than gameplay!"
"I think graphics are much more important than gameplay!"

To name a few. I also love these common fallacies:

"Opinion, LOL!!!!!!11" Of course it's an opinion. How could we post scientific, concrete, factual, objective information about something that is subjective to begin with--like whether or not a game was "good?" You can't prove something is enjoyable or not because the quality is subjective. It's all opinion!

"It's at ___ right now on Metacritic" OK, and...? Who cares, honestly? Review scores matter, but nowhere near as much as some people seem to think.
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored
#19agrissaPosted 1/10/2013 1:36:44 PM
-DmC must be a good game because the reviews so far are positive.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
Number of fans: 7
#20ace_two_maxPosted 1/10/2013 1:37:17 PM
Get a wii to play Monster Hunter

get a Wii U if you want to play Monster Hunter
---
You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and plead for your freedom, and your telling me your completely sane?!