This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My third PS3 failure...is there any reason I should buy a replacement or a PS4?

#1NicodimusPosted 1/10/2013 5:28:23 PM(edited)
Here is my history with the PS3:

PS3 #1 - Fat, bought new on launch day. YLOD August 2008
PS3 #2 - Fat, bought new August 2008. YLOD October 2012
PS3 #3 - Slim, bought new October 2012. Stopped playing blu-ray discs as of January 2012.

I don't even know what to say any more. I love the controller, the XMB interface, the PS3 games I have, the blu-ray movies I have, the multimedia functionality...but I'm asking myself why I should ever spend another red cent on Sony hardware. All of my systems were dusted regularly, kept out in the open and allowed to breathe. I don't smoke, have kids, or have any animal fur getting in there. I even sprung for a cooling stand for the 3rd one I bought, just because I was paranoid about it dying like the previous 2 had...and it lasted less than 4 months. I know the 360 has the reputation for hardware failure, but mine (from 2005 launch) never broke. I didn't really like it, but it worked.

Trying to decide a couple of things right now.

#1 - What to do about my current system. Unlike the other two, it stopped working under warranty. However, I'm not sure if I have the receipt. Even if I send it in to them, do I have any way of knowing it won't just break down again in another 4 months? Isn't it $150 for them to do that anyway?

#2 - Is there any reason I should ever buy another Sony product (PS3 or PS4) after this horrible experience I've had? Would you?

#3 - I still have hundreds of blu-rays. If I don't use the PS3 to play them, is there a consensus on a decent quality player for $300 or less? I know Oppo is considered the best, but I am on medical disability and can't really drop $800 on one at the moment.

Thanks for your input.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#2zyrax2301Posted 1/10/2013 5:25:06 PM
If you have a warranty, it should be replaced/refurbished for free. Find the receipt.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3XSilverPhoenixXPosted 1/10/2013 5:28:28 PM
Either you have horrible luck with electronics or you do not put them in the proper places or take care of them.

My first PS3 lasted me 6 years since it was an 80GB fat. I don't know what you're doing wrong.

You should have bought an extended warranty that would have covered you for three years.
#4ExtremeLightPosted 1/10/2013 5:34:35 PM
Why did you waste money on a new one. You could have just pay less to get it fixed. My first PS3 fat broke. I didn't use it for a while. My grandpa decided to get me a PS3 Slim. Shortly that year it broke but this time we got it fixed and it had lasted for at least a year. Really I think you need to change where you put your PS3 and/or PS4. You also need to dust it off occasionally (brushing the dust off simply won't do.) You could if you want to get a PS4 wait till June and see if it will come out in Dec 2013 and then make your move.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#5mikechips911Posted 1/10/2013 5:37:15 PM(edited)
Well by the sounds of it he does not put them in the proper places or take care of them at all. He must not clean out vents and disk tray ever also mite smoke around the system and that will kill them fast.
---
PSN ID = I-Fling-Poo-At-U
#6DarkivePosted 1/10/2013 5:36:57 PM
look i know it has a blu ray player but people fail to understand the primary function is for gaming. 24/7 of Netflix and watching blu-rays will definitely affect your system's longevity. all electronics fail eventually.
---
Silent Hill's Darkest
#7CloakedNubPosted 1/10/2013 5:37:42 PM
Your third one should still be covered under the warranty. IDK, never had to have one fixed.

Also, ignore all the obvious fanboys screaming about you self-sabotage the precious PS3. It's an electronic. It's luck of the draw whether it lasts or not every time you buy one.
#8ExtremeLightPosted 1/10/2013 5:38:48 PM
Darkive posted...
look i know it has a blu ray player but people fail to understand the primary function is for gaming. 24/7 of Netflix and watching blu-rays will definitely affect your system's longevity. all electronics fail eventually.

Pardon me but Netflix doesn't seem to affect my PS3 very much.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#9Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 5:41:57 PM
Why did you waste money on a new one. You could have just pay less to get it fixed.

Because I've heard of people doing that, only for them to fail shortly afterwards from the lousy thermal paste they use to repair it. I wanted to buy a new one to be absolutely sure I was getting a quality system.

Really I think you need to change where you put your PS3 and/or PS4.

It's sitting about 2 feet off the ground, on top of a shelf, with a cooling fan on the back, with nothing around it. How can it get any better than that?

You also need to dust it off occasionally (brushing the dust off simply won't do.

I dust it off weekly, along with my TV, receiver, subwoofer, and speakers. I use a soft dry microfiber cloth.

You could if you want to get a PS4 wait till June and see if it will come out in Dec 2013 and then make your move.

That's kind of what this topic is about. Why would I ever buy another system from the same company that has given me 3 duds in a row?
---
#10Nicodimus(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 5:43:16 PM
Well by the sounds of it he does not put them in the proper places or take care of them at all.

Did you even read my post?

HERE:

"All of my systems were dusted regularly, kept out in the open and allowed to breathe. I don't smoke, have kids, or have any animal fur getting in there. I even sprung for a cooling stand for the 3rd one I bought, just because I was paranoid about it dying like the previous 2 had"
---