This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait...I thought Mass Effect was a shooter?

#21KnockoutNedPosted 1/12/2013 6:08:19 AM
Me too! Plays like Star Wars: KOTOR.
---
Now Playing: SEGA Master System,
PS3.
#22Drophyd167bPosted 1/12/2013 6:43:24 AM
The first Mass Effect is like this, but Mass Effect 2 overhauls the combat system to pretty much remove all traces of turns and dice rolls. When people refer to Mass Effect as a shooter, they are usually referring to the second (and consequently third) game. Technically it still isn't an accurate description but, in practise, they do very much feel like shooters.
---
"If there are two kinds of people I abhor most in life, it's egotists and hypocrites!" - Drophyd167b
#23Evel138Posted 1/12/2013 6:51:56 AM
Drophyd167b posted...
The first Mass Effect is like this, but Mass Effect 2 overhauls the combat system to pretty much remove all traces of turns and dice rolls. When people refer to Mass Effect as a shooter, they are usually referring to the second (and consequently third) game. Technically it still isn't an accurate description but, in practise, they do very much feel like shooters.

Apparently what they don't realize, is that there are stat modifiers that are still happening in the background of the "pewpewpew".

I think Bioware hit just the right balance in those modifiers jiving with the real time shooting in ME2-3. A game that fails miserably (for the most part) to marry real time shooting and RNG/stats/modifiers in Alpha Protocol....where you can have your reticle 20 feet away, dead on center mass.....and still miss lol.

But I digress, people that can't recognize ME (even 2 and 3) as a RPG, just don't know any better apparently.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Sackboy
http://fav.me/d5qo006
#24SmoshCuchPosted 1/12/2013 7:02:32 AM
DocDelicious posted...
The only things that make it appear real-time is the fact that enemies/allies don't stop their actions when you aren't inputting any commands and you have control over your character's movement.

So it's turn-based, except that it doesn't use the only gameplay mechanic that defines a game as being turn-based. Got it.
#25SoliquidusPosted 1/12/2013 7:07:23 AM
Mass Effect 2 and 3 are scant on the RPG Elements. They are more TPS than RPG seeing that the TPS Elements are more pervasive than the RPG Elements
---
PS3 without Immersion lacks Rumble and PS3 without Rumble lacks Immersion. Finally Sony did the right thing