This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How often should you turn off the system if you're putting in a long day?

#1indie_animatorPosted 1/11/2013 11:31:03 PM
Say you have the day off, a lot of free time, etc., and hope to advance a good way through a game or three. Most of us probably take breaks away from the system, but-

Do you have a certain amount of time to shut down the system to let it cool down, and how often? I never remember finding out this info before. Thanks!
---
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. (James 1:4)
#2DeGamer81Posted 1/12/2013 12:35:07 AM
Sometimes I play mine for up to 5 or 6 hours at a time before I shut it off. I have no life :(
#3IzraeilPosted 1/12/2013 1:25:05 AM
some people including me leave them on for days and nothing bad happens, while some people have their's overheat in hours.
It seems to be based on ho well ventilated it is and your luck with electronics.lol
#4SDFan18Posted 1/12/2013 1:28:37 AM
I'd just leave it going for the day. Seems like heating it up and cooling it off periodically would cause more harm than good.
---
"Welcome to nowhere and finding out where it is."
PSN ID: BBFaNaTiC86
#5awesomesauce13Posted 1/12/2013 1:43:52 AM
It's better to leave it going the whole time. Heating and cooling and heating and cooling too much is what causes YLODs. Having the room and the PS3 well ventilated is always good too
#6BeefEasterPosted 1/12/2013 2:56:29 AM
I shut it off when I'm done with it and not a moment sooner
#7fireblade08Posted 1/12/2013 7:39:12 AM
I can't recall the exact message or who posted it. I remember this person having experience in this field:

Power off the PS3 for double the time you kept it on to let the system completely cool down. This should increase the life-span of the electrical components inside.

With space to "breathe" It will run for extended times. The power save feature is to save on electricity & fix early bugs where the PS3 would wake up by itself or not return to stand-by. It's not really to protect the machine.
---
You don't think I'm serious just 'cause I carry a bunny around?
The art of fighting without fighting
#8indie_animator(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 10:32:06 AM
Good points, thanks. Just like my PC, it seems safest to leave it running for a while!
---
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. (James 1:4)
#9JanayBerryPosted 1/12/2013 4:25:45 PM
I used to "baby" my first PS3, turning it off periodically to keep it from getting hot. I believe this ultimately killed it.

With my current PS3, It's on more than it's off. It's off while I'm at work or sleep. Even then, this varies, as I may be downloading games while I'm sleep or at work lol... but I have it to shut off after 1 hour of completion of downloads.

She's running strong.
---
PSN ID: Jim_Berry
#10archizzyPosted 1/12/2013 4:35:55 PM
JanayBerry posted...
I used to "baby" my first PS3, turning it off periodically to keep it from getting hot. I believe this ultimately killed it.

With my current PS3, It's on more than it's off. It's off while I'm at work or sleep. Even then, this varies, as I may be downloading games while I'm sleep or at work lol... but I have it to shut off after 1 hour of completion of downloads.

She's running strong.

As stated earlier frequently shutting it off and turning it on is worse. It is the constant temperature fluctuations going from off to operating that causes stress on the solder that leads to a separation from the motherboard resulting in YLOD.

Overheating isn't the issue. It is the number of power cycles that can potentially be more problematic if you have a weak point in your solder.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton