This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just started Final Fantasy 13... Where the F*** is the EXP and leveling up???

#41mmpepsiPosted 1/12/2013 3:34:40 PM
kupo1705 posted...
cloud2556 posted...
Kenaue posted...
Chrystarium is how you level up your characters. Basically the Sphere Grid.

This

It's basically a more visual appealing sphere grid

With no freedom.

FF7 gave me no freedom when leveling up my character.

What an awful game. I wanted to pick specific stats like choosing if I could increase my attack or hp. Like I can in FFXIII depending on what class I choose to level up.
#42tiornysPosted 1/12/2013 3:37:53 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
Hope you like about 60 hours more of exactly what you're doing now, because it doesn't change until near the end, and even then, it's fairly minor.

Er, no. I mean, I suppose you could use the same strategies throughout the entire game instead of using more effective ones as they become available, but I don't know why you'd encourage such behavior. It sounds like a boring way to play the game, to me.

Weapons and armor and all of that as well, I **** you not, is best left until right near the end of the game. Even the official strat guide said as much. If you like the game, kudos to you.

Also no. The official strategy guide gives abyssmal advice regarding party composition and paradigm setups, and crappy boss strategies. Why would you trust its advice regarding upgrading?

There are several accessories that can be upgraded for good effect as early as chapter 4, and it's realistically possible to start upgrading weapons by chapter 7 (although I'd direct XP into accessories until chapter 10 at the earliest). If you haven't upgraded at least a few weapons by the end of chapter 11, you're needlessly handicapping yourself.

RyuuHou25 posted...

I got up to....Chapter 8 if I remember correctly and realized made an unwarranted assumption that the game was not going to get any better *laughs*

Fixed that for you.

Still__Rippin posted...
Exactly. You don't even need to think at all. You can just mash X to put whatever you want anywhere. Then mash X in the battles. Then, you win. Basically just hold forward on the stick and hit X every few seconds and you'll beat the game.

Please, if you want to criticize the linearity, fine. Inaccurate hyperbole like this just weakens your position.

t~
#43ZombiDeadZombiPosted 1/12/2013 3:45:50 PM
RampantBlatt posted...
ZombiDeadZombi posted...
kel25 posted...
ZombiDeadZombi posted...
I don't know why some of you are trying to discourage the guy from liking the game.

He's already a few hours into the game, loves it and is having a blast, and it's pathetic you guys are trying to give him reasons on why he shouldn't like it.

I felt the same way when I start playing the game. It seemed like we finally were going to get another great FF after the abysmal FF XII. It wasn't long before I realized what a POS the game really was.

Irrelevant how you felt. It's stupid to try to project how you felt onto the TC, and quite frankly, it's obnoxious and selfish.

From the sounds of it, Mr White Knight, the TC isn't far in and asked us our take on things in FFXIII.

So kindly shut up.

Except he didn't ask anyone their take on it, he clearly asked where the EXP is and how to level up, not how everyone feels about the game.

So why don'y you take your own advice? and learn some reading comprehension while you are at it.
#44Spiroth_KweehhPosted 1/12/2013 4:24:28 PM
userfrigginame posted...
Hasn't Final Fantasy been doing this since X? The sphere grid for X, that checkerboard thing for XII, and now the Crystarium for XIII. I might be wrong, but disregarding the MMOs which I haven't played, there hasn't been an actually leveling up system since IX, and that was on the PS1. But anyway ya, Crystarium pts.= EXP.

The only FINAL FANTASY games that don't have the traditional Level-Up system are:

-FINAL FANTASY II
-FINAL FANTASY X
-FINAL FANTASY XIII
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#45Spiroth_KweehhPosted 1/12/2013 4:33:42 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
MechaNapoleon posted...
I'm confused here... there is both XP and leveling, and its not even subtle. There is a limit as to how far you are in story, but otherwise its not much different than most customizable leveling systems. Kill crap, gain "XP" (CP), spend xp on what you want to increase, etc etc.

This game gets so much crap... and deserves it for alot of things (linearity and zzz combat), but others are just stupid (this, and the insistence that 10 wasn't pretty much the same).

CP is not XP, there are no levels, the Chrysanthimum is extremely linear and offers little to no variation in what you learn or don't learn, and everyone learns pretty much the same identical skills.

Levels only increase depending on where you are in the story, by no other means. It's an extremely dumbed down and streamlined "level up" system. So yes, in fact, it's quite different from others.

Bold Part.

Blatant lies confirmed.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#46BoosterBurstPosted 1/12/2013 4:35:55 PM
Something is...missing from Final Fantasy XIII...

no wai.....

STOP THA PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!! STOP 'EM
---
viciously beautiful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1YuAeeF-2Ec
#47RyuuHou25Posted 1/12/2013 4:46:43 PM
@ tiornys

- Who the hell was talking about strategies? Even if the game had various strategies for battle, which it doesn't, the game DOES NOT change. So, errr, yes. You can have the illusion of strategy in this game, but you can also just mash X and win, so any "strategy" is purely you trying to fool yourself into thinking it makes any kind of difference whether you use this spell or that spell.

- Thanks for proving my point about weapons upgrading. You yourself even just said, don't do it until Chapter 10, even though it's "realistically" possible at Chapter 7....which is nearly half way through the god damn game >.<

- Chapter 8 out of 13, but yeah, I made an unwarranted assumption, you betcha.

- It's not inaccurate. It has been proven. People have done it. The game has no strategy whatsoever, as I said above.

Pull your head, out of your ass.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#48Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 1/12/2013 4:50:42 PM
The game's maps are a giant hallway so for best results RUN!
#49MechaNapoleonPosted 1/12/2013 4:50:58 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
MechaNapoleon posted...
I'm confused here... there is both XP and leveling, and its not even subtle. There is a limit as to how far you are in story, but otherwise its not much different than most customizable leveling systems. Kill crap, gain "XP" (CP), spend xp on what you want to increase, etc etc.

This game gets so much crap... and deserves it for alot of things (linearity and zzz combat), but others are just stupid (this, and the insistence that 10 wasn't pretty much the same).

CP is not XP, there are no levels, the Chrysanthimum is extremely linear and offers little to no variation in what you learn or don't learn, and everyone learns pretty much the same identical skills.

Levels only increase depending on where you are in the story, by no other means. It's an extremely dumbed down and streamlined "level up" system. So yes, in fact, it's quite different from others.

Well, that was complete BS. You have your 2-3 available job trees at a time (before unlocking all 6) to build up of your choosing... so right there breaks "extreme" linearity. Won't argue its restricting, but its not hand-holdingly so, and alot more open than most other FF's that offer nothing at all. Then how CP is not XP, I have no idea... you gain it for fighting like most every other game. Only difference is you have to spend it to essentially "level up". I guess on that note, the term "level" is a bit confused here... when you fill out a node, that is the pretty much the same as a traditional level up... you gain your stats/spells and start building for the next. But what the game refers to as levels (the mandatory pointless node to move up the tree you get from progressing in the story) is actually just increasing your level cap. A slightly different way of doing it but not unheard of (see FF10, only difference is that game disguises it better)

I didn't really love the game (its ok), so I'm not tryin to defend it fanatically, but now that I think about it I actually gotta give Square a round of applause... they managed to pack a fairly traditional RPG in a slightly different looking container and make people think its new and different, only problem is they gave you guys too much credit and managed to do nothing but confuse and frustrate.
#50RyuuHou25Posted 1/12/2013 4:55:57 PM
MechaNapoleon posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
MechaNapoleon posted...

Well, that was complete BS. You have your 2-3 available job trees at a time (before unlocking all 6) to build up of your choosing... so right there breaks "extreme" linearity. Won't argue its restricting, but its not hand-holdingly so, and alot more open than most other FF's that offer nothing at all. Then how CP is not XP, I have no idea... you gain it for fighting like most every other game. Only difference is you have to spend it to essentially "level up". I guess on that note, the term "level" is a bit confused here... when you fill out a node, that is the pretty much the same as a traditional level up... you gain your stats/spells and start building for the next. But what the game refers to as levels (the mandatory pointless node to move up the tree you get from progressing in the story) is actually just increasing your level cap. A slightly different way of doing it but not unheard of (see FF10, only difference is that game disguises it better)

I didn't really love the game (its ok), so I'm not tryin to defend it fanatically, but now that I think about it I actually gotta give Square a round of applause... they managed to pack a fairly traditional RPG in a slightly different looking container and make people think its new and different, only problem is they gave you guys too much credit and managed to do nothing but confuse and frustrate.

When you cay "that was complete BS" and then "won't argue this" you're contradicting yourself and invalidate any actual points you may have had.

If you were able to use all the job trees at once, you would be correct. You cannot. You are stuck using one at any one time and must switch them, meaning the only things that really change are the skills you can use, your HP, MP, the rest of that, are all the same pretty much. Linear.

There are no levels for your character.

They gave us too much credit? Really? After you saying "they made people think it's new and different"? Do you understand how ridiculous you sound?
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB