This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Platformers ruled the last gen, FPS titles this gen...what's next?

#1n0matterPosted 1/12/2013 12:32:31 PM
What genre will shine next generation? If it's FPS again, I might just have to shoot myself in the face.
---
76.322 to 70.744 is a 70% drop. - Sailor Goon
600,000+400,000=1.1 million - Sailor Goon
#2brolynickPosted 1/12/2013 12:33:29 PM
I could see them doing some awesome stuff with sandbox games on next-gen consoles.
---
Chris Jericho is better than God.
#3chiefofsb78Posted 1/12/2013 12:34:59 PM
Fighting Games are back and gonna be even stronger next gen
#4slymshadyPosted 1/12/2013 12:51:28 PM
Platforms ruled last gen (O_o)

Maybe on the wii it did with there 2-D platformerd
#5kobalobasileusPosted 1/12/2013 12:53:47 PM
What are you talking about? Platformers haven't ruled a generation since Gen 3 (NES/Sega Master System).

Last gen (PS2/XB/GC/DC) was ruled by RPGs. The gen before that (PS1/N64/Sat) was ruled by RPGs (with a 3D platforming schism brought about by the N64). The gen before that (SNES/GEN) was RPGs as well.

Is it any wonder RPG fans have been making so much noise lately? The genre that dominated for 3 generations (~15 years) suddenly disappears and is replaced by its polar opposite: The FPS.

But if you take the Indie schism into account, 2D platforming is actually back in full-force this-gen. So, I really don't know what the future holds. I'm going to assume more FPS domination, considering how many millions of units every new CoD sells.
#6wstfldPosted 1/12/2013 12:57:56 PM
GTA and Halo ruled last gen. COD rules this gen.
---
Last Played: FTL (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civilzation V, FTL
#7Final_TranPosted 1/12/2013 12:58:04 PM
kobalobasileus posted...
What are you talking about? Platformers haven't ruled a generation since Gen 3 (NES/Sega Master System).

Last gen (PS2/XB/GC/DC) was ruled by RPGs. The gen before that (PS1/N64/Sat) was ruled by RPGs (with a 3D platforming schism brought about by the N64). The gen before that (SNES/GEN) was RPGs as well.

Is it any wonder RPG fans have been making so much noise lately? The genre that dominated for 3 generations (~15 years) suddenly disappears and is replaced by its polar opposite: The FPS.

But if you take the Indie schism into account, 2D platforming is actually back in full-force this-gen. So, I really don't know what the future holds. I'm going to assume more FPS domination, considering how many millions of units every new CoD sells.

LMAO @ RPGs ruling Gen 4
---
PSN: Trannol, PSA:BR Main Gold Dragon Sir Daniel Fortesque.
http://tinyurl.com/c7alxud
#8zender1999Posted 1/12/2013 1:00:17 PM
i see 2d games making a big comeback maybe with 3d characters in it
#9ps3_gamer_norgePosted 1/12/2013 1:00:34 PM
kobalobasileus posted...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games

RPGs did well, but we're far from ruling the generation.
#10CodytheHeroPosted 1/12/2013 1:09:55 PM
GTA and Halo ruled last gen. COD rules this gen.

Halo did not rule last gen. LOLOLOL
---
Previously known as fallenxlionheart