This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Platformers ruled the last gen, FPS titles this gen...what's next?

#11HolyMcmolyPosted 1/12/2013 1:14:15 PM
Linear TPS, or open world with very cinematic single player stories. It may even be the gen where video games are taken as seriously as movies by the majority.

Watchdogs is really the only thing I'm thinking of when I think next gen.
#12Godly_GoofPosted 1/12/2013 1:14:36 PM
ps3_gamer_norge posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
What are you talking about? Platformers haven't ruled a generation since Gen 3 (NES/Sega Master System).

Last gen (PS2/XB/GC/DC) was ruled by RPGs. The gen before that (PS1/N64/Sat) was ruled by RPGs (with a 3D platforming schism brought about by the N64). The gen before that (SNES/GEN) was RPGs as well.

Is it any wonder RPG fans have been making so much noise lately? The genre that dominated for 3 generations (~15 years) suddenly disappears and is replaced by its polar opposite: The FPS.

But if you take the Indie schism into account, 2D platforming is actually back in full-force this-gen. So, I really don't know what the future holds. I'm going to assume more FPS domination, considering how many millions of units every new CoD sells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games

RPGs did well, but we're far from ruling the generation.

My 100+ PS2, Dozen or so GC, and collossal stack of GBA/DS RPGs disagree
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#13DeGamer81Posted 1/12/2013 1:18:36 PM
I think rpg's are due for a comeback. They've been pretty scarce in recent days. I'm hoping Ni no Kuni can turn things around.
#14DefYouthPosted 1/12/2013 1:20:13 PM
ITT games I liked ruled the gen for everyone in the world
---
I know that this is vitriol, no solution spleen-venting, but I feel better having screamed, don't you?
#15ps3_gamer_norgePosted 1/12/2013 1:24:14 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
kobalobasileus posted...
What are you talking about? Platformers haven't ruled a generation since Gen 3 (NES/Sega Master System).

Last gen (PS2/XB/GC/DC) was ruled by RPGs. The gen before that (PS1/N64/Sat) was ruled by RPGs (with a 3D platforming schism brought about by the N64). The gen before that (SNES/GEN) was RPGs as well.

Is it any wonder RPG fans have been making so much noise lately? The genre that dominated for 3 generations (~15 years) suddenly disappears and is replaced by its polar opposite: The FPS.

But if you take the Indie schism into account, 2D platforming is actually back in full-force this-gen. So, I really don't know what the future holds. I'm going to assume more FPS domination, considering how many millions of units every new CoD sells.

Because RPGs ruled the generation for you and that other guy, that means nothing when looking at sale numbers
#16MasterVadingPosted 1/12/2013 1:37:50 PM
Godly_Goof posted...
kobalobasileus posted...

Because RPGs ruled the generation for you and that other guy, that means nothing when looking at sale numbers

---
2012-2013 Denver Broncos 13-3
PSN: Menvimacal
#17Final_TranPosted 1/12/2013 6:04:17 PM
MasterVading posted...
Godly_Goof posted...
kobalobasileus posted...

---
PSN: Trannol, PSA:BR Main Gold Dragon Sir Daniel Fortesque.
http://tinyurl.com/c7alxud
#18_alcheimPosted 1/12/2013 9:42:36 PM
according to my weaboo crystal ball, next gen will be dominated by:

dating sims,
visual novels,
& cooking games

nah, i'm just kidding... next gen will most likely be dominated by open world fps/tps
---
www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40
#19dj___rollPosted 1/12/2013 9:54:59 PM
What genre will shine next generation? If it's FPS again, I might just have to shoot myself in the face.

Please let it be FPS.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#20doraemonllh1989Posted 1/12/2013 10:00:17 PM
with a great hardware,i think we will have a lot of awesome sandbox game
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)