This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Okay. So why are we not collectively mad about this? (PS3 Bckwrd comp.)

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Okay. So why are we not collectively mad about this? (PS3 Bckwrd comp.)
3 years ago#11
If you want to play PS2 games so badly play on a PS2. That's what it's for.
3 years ago#12
(A haiku, by _AverageGamer)

Sorry bro, you only had six syllables in the second verse.
---
PSN: Impaired_Medic
3 years ago#13
Impaired Medic posted...

DAMNIT!

I thought I counted it all right.
---
Dictated but not read,
_AverageGamer
3 years ago#14
Impaired Medic posted...

Eh... It depends. He got the proper 5 7 5 syllables (if you count the syllables of course) but you're right, not enough in the second verse.

Change it from didn't to did not.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/Sophistocrat This man is a liar people. Just ignore him and move on
http://i.imgur.com/JF8gG.jpg
3 years ago#15
I'm not angry, because I bought a PS3 to play PS3 games. I know, unheard of, blasphemy, etc.

And I'm going to buy a PS4 to play PS4 games. *gasp* The horror!
---
PSN: Draconas_Lyrr
I'll never look at an apple the same way again..
3 years ago#16
U1gitarooman posted...
Okay, first gen PS3s come out, have hardware BC and are awesome.

Second Gen Ps3s come out, have software BC, and are slightly less awesome.

Third+ Gen PS3s come out and do NOT have any BC.

So the second generations have SOFTWARE BC, I.E. no other parts than what was produced later... and yet they take it away. But this isn't the part I'm mad about.

A few years later they begin re-selling PS2 games back to us! And the internet collectively doesn't care. This kinda boggles my mind. It's one thing to take it out (which I still don't see why) but it's an entirely different thing to then start selling the games that you don't really have any other option for playing on that system anymore. It's clear the system CAN play it...so why can't I put my disc in and play it?

ANY WHY AREN'T PEOPLE MAD ABOUT THIS!?

First off, the PS3 models with "software BC" still had hardware. It was partial software (as opposed to full hardware on the first models). First gen PS3 models had EE+GS from the PS2, while second gen models had only the GS.
Third gen PS3's scrapped the GS and the BC along with it.

However, I definitely AM upset that while they finally managed to code a proper full software PS2 emulator, they don't give us disc support. But that's nothing surprising. We all know Sony removes features, they don't add features.
3 years ago#17
Okay, first gen PS3s come out, have hardware BC and are awesome.

Second Gen Ps3s come out, have software BC, and are slightly less awesome.

Third+ Gen PS3s come out and do NOT have any BC.

So the second generations have SOFTWARE BC, I.E. no other parts than what was produced later... and yet they take it away. But this isn't the part I'm mad about.

A few years later they begin re-selling PS2 games back to us! And the internet collectively doesn't care. This kinda boggles my mind. It's one thing to take it out (which I still don't see why) but it's an entirely different thing to then start selling the games that you don't really have any other option for playing on that system anymore. It's clear the system CAN play it...so why can't I put my disc in and play it?

ANY WHY AREN'T PEOPLE MAD ABOUT THIS!?

You are slightly mistaken, your "2nd Gen" PS3 BC is not purely software. There still had the graphics synthesizer so there was still actual PS2 hardware attached to it. "3rd Gen" PS3s contain no PS2 hardware whatsoever. PS3 emulating PS2 game are more complex and for each PS2 game there requires a unique emulator for that game.
---
Ill lick all fanboys ass! - arsios
3 years ago#18
Just grab a used ps2. You can get one for thirty bucks and you'll save the wear and tear on your ps3.
---
Casually Hardcore.
3 years ago#19
Because Sony apologists will pretend like Sony did nothing wrong by removing it. We should be collectively upset about it. Its one thing to dump a bad format for another (like Vita did for UMDs, BC is excusable there). But its another thing entirely to remain on disc format and then fail to provide backwards compatibility with the immediate preceding gen while offering it for two gens ago. Extremely idiotic.

Remember how the Wii sold badly with GC BC?? How the PS2 sold badly because of BC?

No? Removing it, if anything, is hurting their sales.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
3 years ago#20
I'm also annoyed at the corporate apologists who just say "you want to play PS2 games? I have a solution for you. Buy a PS2"

On an HDTV, PS2 games look much better on the PS3 because of the upscaling/smoothing features. Why should we be content with playing on a PS2, when they could easily give us support on PS3 for a good portion of the PS2 disc library with better image processing but simply don't want to?
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Okay. So why are we not collectively mad about this? (PS3 Bckwrd comp.)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived