This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Okay. So why are we not collectively mad about this? (PS3 Bckwrd comp.)

#51TomorrowDogPosted 1/12/2013 11:34:30 PM
BC just isn't that big a deal (or not a deal at all) to a lot of people. I wouldn't persist in complaining for years about something that doesn't really effect me.
---
"Happiness is nature's way of telling human resources you're overpaid." - Catbert
#52xio323Posted 1/12/2013 11:55:31 PM
at first when i got my ps3, i wasn't too upset with it because i told myself, hey i still have a ps2, i'll just play my old games on it! no problem!

i stopped playing ps2 games for a while and when i wanted to go back to my old games, the lens on the system crapped out. now more than ever, i wish that ps3 had backwards compatability. i usually take great care with my systems and games, but i hear that the lens eventually dies on the ps2 slim after several years. don't really wanna buy a used ps2 because who knows how reliable those are or how long they may last. and buying a new ps2 still costs about $100 o_O
#53RagnawindPosted 1/13/2013 12:21:41 AM(edited)
Just grab a used ps2. You can get one for thirty bucks and you'll save the wear and tear on your ps3.

Those prices may actually start going up now, since Sony completed stopped production of PS2 systems a week or 2 ago, worldwide. If the prices don't go up, they might just be harder to find.

As for the comments about why PS2 backwards Compatibility was removed: itt was because of the cost. That is why they started the console at a price of around $600USD, due to the hardware. Now that the EmotionEngine and Graphics Synthesizer are no longer in the systems, that don't offer hardware or software emulation of discs. One thing they could do, if what someone said is true about a different emulator per game, they should allow using the disc for a game that is available as a PS2 Classic, but they don't. I thiknk the reason they don't is because the games are actually use one emulator for them all, but the emulator doesn't support enough functions to warrant allowing to use the disc drive or bring all the games to the system as classics or HD versions. There is also the issue of cost and licensing from the third party developers and publishers to work out, which is also a problem with the PSOne Classics. The system uses a single emulator stored in the system software applied from a firmware update to allow all PSX games to run, whether it is a classic download or a disc, but the PS2 emulator, which is also included doesn't have full emulation of all features of the EE or GS.
#54DrakillionPosted 1/13/2013 12:16:29 AM
I was MAD that the new slim PS3' didn't have backwards compatibility. I eventually got over it because I don't play my PS2 games that much anymore, maybe playing an hour or two of Dark Cloud 2, Star Wars: Battlefront, Persona 4, and FF 8 on certain days.

Really, what I'm more annoyed is how ugly SD games are on HD. They look so drab, lifeless, dark, and blurry. It really sours my mood to even play them anymore :/ Persona 4 Golden on the Vita, holy cow, it almost looks like a different game!

One question to those who have the BC PS3's: Are PS2 games upscaled or do they look the same? Does PS Upscaler make them look a bit better?
---
---
"Dating Yukari Takeba is, like, the closest thing to dating Michelle Ruff, so I don't see the reason why not."- My brother XD
#55leet_x1337Posted 1/13/2013 12:24:33 AM
Because you can't get a PS2 copy of God Hand for love nor money.
---
Now Playing: Alpha Protocol
Updated: 07/01/13
#56thirdsagePosted 1/13/2013 12:26:25 AM
I have always been dissapointed about this. I still use my ps2 regularly.
#57NicodimusPosted 1/13/2013 12:53:10 AM
One question to those who have the BC PS3's: Are PS2 games upscaled or do they look the same? Does PS Upscaler make them look a bit better?

There are excellent comparison shots in this thread. Check them out.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#58swaybeatzPosted 1/13/2013 1:00:41 AM
i'm at the point where i am done with consoles. my next gen gaming machine will be a pc. it will serve as a multipurpose machine for gaming, homework, internet, social media, media center. etc. i the long run paying, 600-700 to build a rig is ultimately cheaper than a console and it's limitations. also steam game go dirt cheap quite regularly
#59ferval100Posted 1/13/2013 1:11:41 AM
Because I still have an original PS3 that I recently upgraded with a 500 gigger.
---
We are the imagination of ourselves. - Bill Hicks.
http://youtu.be/u3X5f3gY4iw - THE MAN! (Guy Gamer.)
#60jakerscythePosted 1/13/2013 1:21:43 AM
Because we are individually mad about this.