This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are 10-13 year olds playing CoD online?

#21DocDeliciousPosted 1/13/2013 4:33:16 PM
Because that's what we did when we were kids. Violent s*** is awesome as a pre-teen. Mortal Kombat? Duke Nukem? Doom? Unreal? Remember any of those?
---
Playing - Far Cry 3, Vanquish, Retro City Rampage, Valkyria Chronicles, Monster Hunter FU, Chrono Cross, Quantum Conundrum, Catherine
PSN: DocDelicious
#22SoaringDivePosted 1/13/2013 4:45:19 PM
spectermaster14 posted...
(EDIT: "Streaks" promote camping. The developers/publisher (more likely Activision's choice) know that most 5 year olds don't have very much ability to play games yet, so they design the game so that you can win by not actually playing it. You're punished for actually playing the game, and rewarded for sitting in the corner.)

Do you actually know what a score streak is? Kill streaks promoted camping, yes, but score streaks act as a reward for playing toward the objective rather than random killing in modes that don't call for it. The people who despise this series so strongly seem to know next to nothing about it, and that wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't blatant willful ignorance.

On topic, it's the same reason you and I played MK and DOOM at that age... Deny it if you want, but you had to have stumbled across some violent game and loved it growing up. The difference is, we didn't have obsessive adults who shared no relation to us beyond our hobby breathing down our necks and shouting about how we're killing the industry they hold dear until they were blue in the face.

A little bit. I haven't played BO2, so I wouldn't know. However, if it is "ruined" when you die, then it still punishes you for playing a fast-paced game as a... fast paced game.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#23jubjub360Posted 1/13/2013 4:46:57 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#24spectermaster14Posted 1/13/2013 4:47:56 PM
spectermaster14 posted...
(EDIT: "Streaks" promote camping. The developers/publisher (more likely Activision's choice) know that most 5 year olds don't have very much ability to play games yet, so they design the game so that you can win by not actually playing it. You're punished for actually playing the game, and rewarded for sitting in the corner.)

Do you actually know what a score streak is? Kill streaks promoted camping, yes, but score streaks act as a reward for playing toward the objective rather than random killing in modes that don't call for it. The people who despise this series so strongly seem to know next to nothing about it, and that wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't blatant willful ignorance.

On topic, it's the same reason you and I played MK and DOOM at that age... Deny it if you want, but you had to have stumbled across some violent game and loved it growing up. The difference is, we didn't have obsessive adults who shared no relation to us beyond our hobby breathing down our necks and shouting about how we're killing the industry they hold dear until they were blue in the face.

A little bit. I haven't played BO2, so I wouldn't know. However, if it is "ruined" when you die, then it still punishes you for playing a fast-paced game as a... fast paced game.

So when you're playing Halo or Unreal and you've found a rail gun or what have you and you die, you're being punished for not camping? You lose your rewards when you die, that's how these games work. That's how they should work, what else would make sense? Keeping everything you gained life to life?
#25gucciburrrPosted 1/13/2013 4:49:24 PM
SoaringDive posted...
gucciburrr posted...
The good ol' " CoD is for kids and hold hands" argument from people who are more than likely terrible at it. Never fails..

We're all sorry that you like games designed for children (we all like games not aimed for adults, it's fine), and think that your "skill" in video games is an actual quality worth anything. Meanwhile, we'll continue to actually discuss design rather than being insecure about video games, like you seem to be.

I honestly don't give a rats ass about what target audience a game is trying to reach. I play video games for enjoyment. I play CoD with a number of my adult friends ranging from military officers I've met while in service to old buddies from school who now have families. Maybe you can't feel this enjoyment because you're an anti-social hermit who's bothered by the notion that tons of people play this with their actual friends. Never once did I insinuate that skill in a video game counts for something. My point is, how can you hop on your imaginary high horse and complain about a game's relative ease when you can't excel at said game? You see how moronic you sound? CoD is a kids game yet my "sophisticated" self manages to do poorly. So you're saying that if this game increased it's difficulty and "targeted adults" you would magically do better? Hilarious..
---
Man I hate bein SOOOOOOOOBA!!!!!!
#26BaseChouGokuPosted 1/13/2013 4:51:26 PM
Shut up gucci you Goddamn liar. You DO care what age games companies target their audience because you knock other games that do it that you don't like. So knock off the hypocrisy
#27keybladeXIIIPosted 1/13/2013 4:52:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/V3LL8.jpg

^That's why.
---
I hate seeing sigs with PC specs on them.
PSN: tookhster ------ Proud owner of a Wii, PS3, 360, 3DS, Vita, and now a Wii U!
#28spectermaster14Posted 1/13/2013 4:53:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/V3LL8.jpg

^That's why.

I wish I could be part of the internet wide Pokemon circlejerk someday. I just wanna know what it's like on that side of the fence. :(
#29SoaringDivePosted 1/13/2013 4:56:33 PM(edited)
gucciburrr posted...
SoaringDive posted...
gucciburrr posted...
The good ol' " CoD is for kids and hold hands" argument from people who are more than likely terrible at it. Never fails..

We're all sorry that you like games designed for children (we all like games not aimed for adults, it's fine), and think that your "skill" in video games is an actual quality worth anything. Meanwhile, we'll continue to actually discuss design rather than being insecure about video games, like you seem to be.

I honestly don't give a rats ass about what target audience a game is trying to reach. I play video games for enjoyment. I play CoD with a number of my adult friends ranging from military officers I've met while in service to old buddies from school who now have families. Maybe you can't feel this enjoyment because you're an anti-social hermit who's bothered by the notion that tons of people play this with their actual friends. Never once did I insinuate that skill in a video game counts for something. My point is, how can you hop on your imaginary high horse and complain about a game's relative ease when you can't excel at said game? You see how moronic you sound? CoD is a kids game yet my "sophisticated" self manages to do poorly. So you're saying that if this game increased it's difficulty and "targeted adults" you would magically do better? Hilarious..

No, we're talking about why there's so many kids. No need to get defensive about your games. This isn't about you, this is about the game.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#30BurgerTime79Posted 1/13/2013 4:54:44 PM
Kids that age are playing it because their parents buy it for them, and just don't give a **** about the ratings. Then when a situation comes up in the media that involves violence, those same parents will stand by the anti gaming BS and want the games removed.

We (this country) need to start taking the ratings a little more seriously. Stores should be allowed to deny the sale of an M rated game to anyone buying it for a kid who doesn't seem like he's mature enough to handle it. Just walking into Gamestop, I've seen too many mouthy and rude kids having their parents buy them M rated games. I've seen them told that a game contains blood, violence, swearing, and the only thing that will keep them from buying the game is if you say there is nudity. I've been tempted to, as a customer, start swearing in front of their kid to see what the reaction is. If they're offended, then that kid shouldn't be getting the game.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking