This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are 10-13 year olds playing CoD online?

#31ExtremeLightPosted 1/13/2013 4:59:01 PM
BurgerTime79 posted...
Kids that age are playing it because their parents buy it for them, and just don't give a **** about the ratings. Then when a situation comes up in the media that involves violence, those same parents will stand by the anti gaming BS and want the games removed.

We (this country) need to start taking the ratings a little more seriously. Stores should be allowed to deny the sale of an M rated game to anyone buying it for a kid who doesn't seem like he's mature enough to handle it. Just walking into Gamestop, I've seen too many mouthy and rude kids having their parents buy them M rated games. I've seen them told that a game contains blood, violence, swearing, and the only thing that will keep them from buying the game is if you say there is nudity. I've been tempted to, as a customer, start swearing in front of their kid to see what the reaction is. If they're offended, then that kid shouldn't be getting the game.

Last line, why? Swearing would offend anyone'...
Also kids live for the fun. They don't care about the cursing, blood, shooting, killing, etc. They play it because it's fun. Simple as that.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#32spectermaster14Posted 1/13/2013 4:59:22 PM
We (this country) need to start taking the ratings a little more seriously.

Why? Like, legitimately, why? What does it matter if a kid's parents don't mind him or her seeing this content. They aren't ours to raise and forcing an arbitrary set of rules on what they're allowed to give their kids, regardless of some perceived maturity level, is just totalitarian bull ****. There's literally no reason to start pulling this kind of stunt in the year 2013. I like to think we've evolved beyond the point of acting like pulling a virtual spine out of a fictional ninja's ass will turn our children into psychopaths.
#33jamsch1978Posted 1/13/2013 5:01:38 PM
Probably for the exact same reason this 34 year old still plays Paper Mario games. Because I enjoy them. I see no harm in it.
#34OrangeSchweesePosted 1/13/2013 5:03:44 PM
keybladeXIII posted...
http://i.imgur.com/V3LL8.jpg

^That's why.

gtfo with your generalizations.
#35muggyPosted 1/13/2013 5:14:13 PM
keybladeXIII posted...
http://i.imgur.com/V3LL8.jpg

^That's why.

Thats a frightening thought. I pray that isnt common.
#36BurgerTime79Posted 1/13/2013 5:29:42 PM
spectermaster14 posted...

Why? Like, legitimately, why? What does it matter if a kid's parents don't mind him or her seeing this content. They aren't ours to raise and forcing an arbitrary set of rules on what they're allowed to give their kids, regardless of some perceived maturity level, is just totalitarian bull ****. There's literally no reason to start pulling this kind of stunt in the year 2013. I like to think we've evolved beyond the point of acting like pulling a virtual spine out of a fictional ninja's ass will turn our children into psychopaths.

Way to completely miss the point of what I was saying.

Look at what the media and parents say about video games. They treat them like children's playtoys, and when there's violence or something "offensive" in a game that gets attention, they want it pulled. They want it pulled so the kids aren't exposed to it. The same kids that they're buying these same games for.
You want to talk about stuff from Mortal Kombat? Ok. Back when Mortal Kombat was released and they started the rating system, parents were outraged that stores would try and deny the sale of a toy to their kids. They had to stop taking the ratings to mean something because of these same parents who then accuse these games of doing stuff to their kids.
The media uses the same excuse when they're told that a rating system exists, and kids aren't meant to have the M rated games. They say "The kids are just going to get their hands on them anyways". Oh really? Well then lets get rid of R rated movies, because you know those kid's friends live in houses with those movies, and they could be watching them. At least movies are something parents understand. They know that a horror movie isn't appropriate and won't let their kid see it. That same kid picks up an M rated game, and the parent doesn't give a ****.
We need a crack down on the ratings, and a period in which parents can get it through their skulls what the ratings are for. After a while, it could go back.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#37spectermaster14Posted 1/13/2013 5:35:53 PM

Way to completely miss the point of what I was saying.

Look at what the media and parents say about video games. They treat them like children's playtoys, and when there's violence or something "offensive" in a game that gets attention, they want it pulled. They want it pulled so the kids aren't exposed to it. The same kids that they're buying these same games for.
You want to talk about stuff from Mortal Kombat? Ok. Back when Mortal Kombat was released and they started the rating system, parents were outraged that stores would try and deny the sale of a toy to their kids. They had to stop taking the ratings to mean something because of these same parents who then accuse these games of doing stuff to their kids.
The media uses the same excuse when they're told that a rating system exists, and kids aren't meant to have the M rated games. They say "The kids are just going to get their hands on them anyways". Oh really? Well then lets get rid of R rated movies, because you know those kid's friends live in houses with those movies, and they could be watching them. At least movies are something parents understand. They know that a horror movie isn't appropriate and won't let their kid see it. That same kid picks up an M rated game, and the parent doesn't give a ****.
We need a crack down on the ratings, and a period in which parents can get it through their skulls what the ratings are for. After a while, it could go back.

Given that no one regulates or censors game content en masse to fit their view of acceptability for children (At least not in the US, I've heard horror stories about Germany), why bother? Some suits get butthurt and a handful of loud parents drown out the ones that don't care... And? Games don't get pulled, movies don't get pulled, books don't get pulled - you get a single group of crazies burning violent media and being chastised for it by the rest of their country, but in general no one cares. Why bother going so far out of your way to make a stink over a hypothetical situation based on sensationalist nonsense for twenty years ago? It's like suddenly going on about being more strict on violent comic sales to kids because Seduction of the Innocent was written sixty years ago.
#38Bat178Posted 1/13/2013 5:43:19 PM
Given that no one regulates or censors game content en masse to fit their view of acceptability for children (At least not in the US, I've heard horror stories about Germany), why bother? Some suits get butthurt and a handful of loud parents drown out the ones that don't care... And? Games don't get pulled, movies don't get pulled, books don't get pulled - you get a single group of crazies burning violent media and being chastised for it by the rest of their country, but in general no one cares. Why bother going so far out of your way to make a stink over a hypothetical situation based on sensationalist nonsense for twenty years ago? It's like suddenly going on about being more strict on violent comic sales to kids because Seduction of the Innocent was written sixty years ago.

It's not just the parents and media that is making a big deal about it now, it is also senators and even the Vice President. If this continues, video games could be banned in the US.
---
Awww, isn't that cute? He thinks he can beat me!
#39ExtremeLightPosted 1/13/2013 5:46:14 PM
Bat178 posted...

It's not just the parents and media that is making a big deal about it now, it is also senators and even the Vice President. If this continues, video games could be banned in the US.

I doubt it. If video games or any of it factions/genre become outlawed then we be looking at prohibition 2.0
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#40spectermaster14Posted 1/13/2013 5:46:20 PM

And political figures have had issues with the content of nearly every other form of media. We don't live in a society free of books, film, and the internet, do we? This paranoia is insane, and it gets even sillier when you see it in the form of threads like this. Acting as if an entire form of media should be banned, censored, or regulated so you can whine about a popular video game series you dislike? Nope, not called for.