This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

By the end of its of life time PS3 will still cross 100 million mark. Amazing

#51Stanger5150Posted 1/13/2013 11:00:14 PM
LuminescentRule posted...
Correction: the DS is still behind the PS2 by about 3 million... I got my facts mixed up. It is the fastest selling platform of all time, not best selling.

Considering it had 4 years less time to do it in, the DS is still more successful than the PS2.

Nopes. Rate of sales isn't what matters. But also, you're comparing a casual oriented handheld system to a home console. That's much to the PS2's credit.

A "casual" system that has more RPGs than any current gen console, and more difficult ones too. You're judging the system based on its shovelware. That's like me judging the PS2 based on Ford Racing type games, or the PS3 based on Hannah Montana and Rogue Warrior.

The DS is far from casual. Casual gamers have options on the system, and so do "core" gamers. There's nothing wrong with that.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Final Fantasy, Alice: Madness Returns, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Contra III, Okami HD
#52LuminescentRulePosted 1/13/2013 11:24:23 PM
Correction: the DS is still behind the PS2 by about 3 million... I got my facts mixed up. It is the fastest selling platform of all time, not best selling.

Considering it had 4 years less time to do it in, the DS is still more successful than the PS2.

Nopes. Rate of sales isn't what matters. But also, you're comparing a casual oriented handheld system to a home console. That's much to the PS2's credit.

A "casual" system that has more RPGs than any current gen console, and more difficult ones too. You're judging the system based on its shovelware. That's like me judging the PS2 based on Ford Racing type games, or the PS3 based on Hannah Montana and Rogue Warrior.

The DS is far from casual. Casual gamers have options on the system, and so do "core" gamers. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not saying that the system is casual but you have to admit that it was mostly casuals who bought it. Just look at the best selling games on that system.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/EmperorLawlight.png
No. of well-rated in 2012 : Vita = 35; 3DS = 24 (including 2 apps)
#53Stanger5150Posted 1/13/2013 11:36:12 PM

I'm not saying that the system is casual but you have to admit that it was mostly casuals who bought it. Just look at the best selling games on that system.

I won't deny that... But they are gamers all the same. We are no better than them just because we play more difficult games.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Final Fantasy, Alice: Madness Returns, The Walking Dead, Far Cry 3, Contra III, Okami HD
#54nintendogamer13Posted 1/13/2013 11:48:01 PM
Sony stresses ABAP
Sony always wins baby!
---
Now playing: FFVII, Persona 3FES, Torchlight 2, witcher 2
#55-Damien-(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 8:38:56 AM
Stanger5150 posted...
-Damien- posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
Wait... How exactly did you figure Nintendo is 1 for 5?

They dominated 3rd gen
They were more successful than all competitors during the 4th gen
They have never come close to losing in the portable console market
The DS is the best selling platform of all time
They outsold both competitors during the 7th gen
The 3DS is destroying the Vita in sales

Only Wii crossed 100M mark. 3DS is not a console

It's a portable console.

yeah, and so is iPad

/rolleyes
#56TerotrousPosted 1/14/2013 9:02:59 AM
I dunno, it might happen, but it's certainly not guaranteed. Console sales drop off towards the end of a system's life, selling that extra 30 mil may take quite a long time.

It'll certainly at least come close, but it's not a sure thing that it'll break it.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#57sharinguyPosted 1/14/2013 9:08:41 AM
Stanger5150 posted...

A "casual" system that has more RPGs than any current gen console, and more difficult ones too.

The RPGs on the DS aren't difficult thought at least not when compared to stuff like Dark souls. Tales of Vesperia/Graces on the highest difficulty, Resonance of fate, Deus-ex,X-Com, etc. The DS has a great number of jrpgs but they are not difficult at all.
---
PSN: Dorman_777
Pokemon Black FC: 5414-9379-0757
#58Stanger5150Posted 1/14/2013 1:48:02 PM(edited)
-Damien- posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
-Damien- posted...
Stanger5150 posted...
Wait... How exactly did you figure Nintendo is 1 for 5?

They dominated 3rd gen
They were more successful than all competitors during the 4th gen
They have never come close to losing in the portable console market
The DS is the best selling platform of all time
They outsold both competitors during the 7th gen
The 3DS is destroying the Vita in sales

Only Wii crossed 100M mark. 3DS is not a console

It's a portable console.

yeah, and so is iPad

/rolleyes

The iPad is not a dedicated gaming device. It can play games, but my Nokia from 2001 could play Snake.... is that a portable gaming console too?

With your logic on what makes a system a "console", a plug and play Pac Man joystick with preloaded Namco games is a console, but the Vita is not.

The iPad is a tablet computer
The iPhone is a phone
The DS is a portable gaming console.

A device is named for it's primary functions, not for the things it can do in addition to those.

---
PSN- BlackRain8782
#59Hustler NinePosted 1/14/2013 2:01:07 PM(edited)
PS3 will reach 100 million worldwide. It's still too expensive. With the games coming this year and finally entering a mass market price of 199/179$ it will surge.
---
If you call the Devil, Dante will come. If you call Dante, then...Devil May Cry...
#60LuminescentRulePosted 1/14/2013 3:29:16 PM
I dunno, it might happen, but it's certainly not guaranteed. Console sales drop off towards the end of a system's life, selling that extra 30 mil may take quite a long time.

It'll certainly at least come close, but it's not a sure thing that it'll break it.

Not for the PS consoles.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/a/EmperorLawlight.png
No. of well-rated in 2012 : Vita = 35; 3DS = 24 (including 2 apps)