This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D You can't blame people for not wanting to buy a game because the demo sucked

#21jrr18Posted 1/13/2013 8:51:52 PM
zyrax2301 posted...
The demo always says "is not representative of the final product" because they don't want to put people off with bugs, visual glitches, etc. Look at the KoA demo. It was a nice little experience, as long as the sound didn't cut out...

I agree. A bad demo is like a cracker taste-test - it cuts your mouth you won't be buying that brand of cracker, ya know?

I did end up playing KoA, but only because a friend offered to lend it to me. The poor demo killed my interest quite soundly.

I got the Demo just for the ME3 armor and wepon and after playing it I got the game so it did get some people to buy the full version.
---
Victory over the 2013 zombie apocalypse through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#22ninjakrakenPosted 1/13/2013 8:56:38 PM
DocDelicious posted...
Deny.

I've hated the demos for many, many games that later became some of my favorite titles.
I've also enjoyed the demos of many games I've ended up hating.

Agree... I think it is better to conduct more research on a game than simply playing the demo. My preferred method is hearing various personal opinions on a game. But often I just take a risk and dive right into a game, and thankfully I've only been disappointed twice this gen. Many times, I simply had to warm up to a game, demos are not usually long enough.

Also, while a demo is ok at demonstrating the gameplay, many times a game's appeal is more than just the gameplay. Eg for the game Nier, the gameplay and graphics are the weakest elements and these would be primarily showcased in a demo.
---
PSN: lady_mystic
Mind your blasted manners! Uncivil, uncouth, uncultivated! - Lady Smith
#23zyrax2301Posted 1/13/2013 9:02:59 PM
jrr18 posted...
zyrax2301 posted...
The demo always says "is not representative of the final product" because they don't want to put people off with bugs, visual glitches, etc. Look at the KoA demo. It was a nice little experience, as long as the sound didn't cut out...

I agree. A bad demo is like a cracker taste-test - it cuts your mouth you won't be buying that brand of cracker, ya know?

I did end up playing KoA, but only because a friend offered to lend it to me. The poor demo killed my interest quite soundly.

I got the Demo just for the ME3 armor and wepon and after playing it I got the game so it did get some people to buy the full version.

But did you encounter any bugs? That's the point I was trying to make...if there wasn't anything wrong with your experience with the demo, it was pretty good.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#24theshovellerPosted 1/13/2013 9:33:00 PM
About the only time I can think of a demo being horrible - like, actual honest-to-god can't-judge-based-on-the-demo bad - is Kingdoms of Amalur, which had insanely bug-ridden demos but a nearly flawless (from a bug standpoint) retail release. Seriously, I played it on every system, and one had texture issues, one had sound issues, and one had my guy's head not render for a good ten minutes. I have a screenshot of the no-head thing since it was on the PC.
#25BeknessPosted 1/13/2013 9:41:47 PM
I think if you've played the demo, you've at least given it a go. It's like TV or movie commercials, they're supposed to feature the best parts, if you don't like the demo then chances are you won't like the game. I think it can depend though, because they can't make it too complex when you're not sure what you're doing. I remember the Hercules demo had level 4 in it, but it ended part way through the level. I loved that demo so I bought the game.
---
Rapheal is cool but crude,
Michaelangelo is a party dude.
#26RampantBlattPosted 1/13/2013 9:42:47 PM
Confirm for sure.

Look, you might not think it, but experienced gamers can call "Yay" or "Nay" on a game based on videos alone.
#27jrr18Posted 1/13/2013 9:44:03 PM
zyrax2301 posted...
jrr18 posted...
zyrax2301 posted...

But did you encounter any bugs? That's the point I was trying to make...if there wasn't anything wrong with your experience with the demo, it was pretty good.

Good point and no I didn't have any major bugs.
---
Victory over the 2013 zombie apocalypse through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#28regsantotomasPosted 1/13/2013 10:14:17 PM
As if it is any of my business to judge how people determine their purchasing decisions; using a demo is as good a methodology as any.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#29Mass_CarrierPosted 1/13/2013 11:11:53 PM(edited)
It's fine that you think a game might be bad because of the demo...but what does it say at the beginning of pretty much any demo you have ever played?

"This demo is of a build still in development and not representative of the final product", or something along those lines.

I personally can't base an entire game off of a demo that may not even represent what the final build will turn out to be, and I really don't listen to people who do.

As someone who has been playing demos since the PS1 era, demos in my experience have always looked, played and sounded and performed identical to the "final build."
---
Don't just post youtube links. Say what the **** they are.
http://i.imgur.com/WaN8M.png
#30ADHDguitarPosted 1/13/2013 11:15:02 PM
Deny.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2