This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did so many PS2 fans buy a 360 instead of a PS3?

#1ThamauturgePosted 1/13/2013 7:03:02 PM
This is a fact that has always baffled me... I know a lot of people that had a PS2 and loved it, and yet they own 360s instead of PS3s. I mean, if a company made a product you enjoyed, wouldn't you want to stay with them and give them another go? Its the same reason I bought a Vita. I loved my PSP for 6+ years, and I wanted to support their new handheld.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#2zyrax2301Posted 1/13/2013 7:04:12 PM
A lot of little dudes became bros about the time that PS2 started to die out.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#3vind3dPosted 1/13/2013 7:05:02 PM
1 It came out first

2 Oblivion

3 Lost Odyssey

Those are my reasons anyway. But I got a PS3 when my 360 got RROD!
---
My favorite app is still the Mute button on my TV's remote.
#4BeknessPosted 1/13/2013 7:05:16 PM
They wanted next gen when Sony hadn't released ps3 yet.

Just because they liked their ps2 doesn't mean they can't try a different company when they next purchase a console.

Certain games cause people to buy the console they choose. (Halo, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, etc might encourage them to buy a 360)

Better deal at the store/online.
---
Rapheal is cool but crude,
Michaelangelo is a party dude.
#5Erupt50Posted 1/13/2013 7:05:23 PM
I was in that group. The reason I went 360 was mainly because most of my friends had it. I have both now of course.

I imagine price may have played a factor in a lot of people's decision as well.
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#6BokuxPicoPosted 1/13/2013 7:09:59 PM
The PS3 didn't have the wide range of amazing exclusives like the PS2 had. Why buy a PS3 when you can basically get the same thing on 360?
#7Bob the AlmightyPosted 1/13/2013 7:11:11 PM
The 360 was cheaper and came out a year before the PS3. Plus all the former exclusives like Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy went multi-platform.

Honestly if you were interested in Blu-Ray or Sony's first party games like God of War or Uncharted, there really wasn't any reason to buy a PS3 over a 360 especially early on when the PS3 was stupid expensive.
---
You were the lightning in that rain. You can still shine through the darkness.
#8Thamauturge(Topic Creator)Posted 1/13/2013 7:11:33 PM
I forgot about the year headstart. That's probably a huge reason. Hope they release closer together this time.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#9riddlebox89Posted 1/13/2013 7:15:27 PM
Thamauturge posted...
I forgot about the year headstart. That's probably a huge reason. Hope they release closer together this time.

No. Who the hell is going to buy a console just for the name? They went from the PS2 to the 360 because the 360 had games they were interested in, and odds are it wouldn't have mattered if the PS3 was released at exactly the same time right down to the last millisecond, if they wanted a 360, then they'd have got one regardless of whether or not they loved their PS2's.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#10Gandalf the IstariPosted 1/13/2013 7:18:20 PM
Because Sony has done a poor job of managing their PS brand this gen.