This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you guys play RPGs?

#21DocDeliciousPosted 1/14/2013 12:32:47 AM
Storyline and Lore. Most important aspect for me. Storyline is self-explanatory. But as for Lore; the more people I can talk to in-game, books I can read, what-have-you, the better.

Character Interaction. Complex relationships between characters is intriguing to me. Especially personal and political relationships.

Stat and Gear Planning and Min/Maxing. I love games with large ability/skill "trees" that allow for combining/piggybacking to get out-of-the-box results. Or if class-based stat progression is present I love figuring out what combos will result in the best character.

Collectibles. The more stupid s*** I can collect the better. That includes armor/weapons/whatever. If in-game storage allows I will make sure I have at least one of every possible item.

Those are my "RPG-things".
---
Playing - Far Cry 3, Vanquish, Retro City Rampage, Valkyria Chronicles, Monster Hunter FU, Chrono Cross, Quantum Conundrum, Catherine
PSN: DocDelicious
#22Magnum_DanPosted 1/14/2013 12:48:20 AM
If I want a challenge, I come up with some useful new technology or solve some important real world problem. I play games for the one thing real life doesn't seam to provide anymore. Adventure.
---
'In this great world full of stuff that's neat there is one thing that cannot be beat. It's the feeling so sunny when your squeezing a bunny" ELMYRA DUFF
#23Joey2coolPosted 1/14/2013 12:53:22 AM
toadieman posted...
Building characters to be powerful.

---
Not changing this sig until a new Bloody Roar is announced! - Started: 10/29/2012
Dart and Abe for PSASBR!
#24sillycatstevenPosted 1/14/2013 1:09:36 AM
story (dialogue) and gameplay. after being spoiled by FF7 and 8, music.
---
PSN: SillyCat659221 Add Me, i'm in NZ
Go now, if you want it / Another world awaits you.
#25KikuichimonjiPosted 1/14/2013 1:17:38 AM
Some people are right on about story and character development. They are unmatched versus other genres; something at this extent only to be pulled off in an RPG due to the characteristics of the genre. Some of the nicest tunes I've heard from a game also came from RPGs.
---
There's no point telling stupid people that they're stupid. They're too stupid to know that they're stupid. Wasted effort.
#26XImperialDragonPosted 1/14/2013 1:33:08 AM
Some I play for the storyline, like Xenosaga Episode III, Xenoblade and Baldur's Gate II, some I play for the combat systems, like Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, the Tales of series and Mass Effect. Some I play just for the complete experience, like the latest Elder Scrolls titles, Kingdoms of Amalur or Persona 4.

Some I play because they're ridiculously addicting, like Borderlands, Riviera: The Promised Land or Ar Tonelico 2. Some I play for the character development, like Dragon Age (moreso Baldur's Gate II, but whatever), Planescape: Torment or Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. Some I enjoy because I can appreciate a well-designed challenge like Demon's Souls or SMT: Nocturne. Sometimes I enjoy having my success or failure entirely depend upon what I do or say, like in Ultima IV (less so in newer games, where it mostly results in linear progression but gives a changed dialogue option or two).

I play RPGs because I love the genre. It can be a strategy RPG like Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics or Eternal Poison. It can be an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean 2, The World Ends With You or Terranigma. It can be a dungeon crawler, a pen-and-paper inspired RPG, anything. Literally if it's an RPG I'll try to play it at some point because they're just the kind of games I like the most.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#27DrakemoodPosted 1/14/2013 1:48:46 AM
- Story
- Gameplay
- This is for tales and dragon age only, funny cast is a must, yes i see you, oghren and pascal.
---
Lavinia + Big Sister + Blood Thirst + Tank Mastery > Aliasse + Selvaria + Alicia
#28SandOnMyBootPosted 1/14/2013 2:04:45 AM
Immersion. I love the feeling of exploring the world, fighting to grow stronger, and having a fleshed out story to keep me interested in continuing. If any of these aspects aren't up to par, either one of the others has to step up its game or else my enjoyment goes away.
#29oxnerdPosted 1/14/2013 2:19:20 AM
Story.
Love being drawn into new worlds. Love developing characters. Love hating them or liking what they become in the end.
Things that take years to witness in real life can happen in just a few hours after defeating a boss, its a great feeling.
#30Robur1985Posted 1/14/2013 2:20:57 AM
Same as everyone else I suppose,
-Story depth is usually good.
-Plenty of hours of play for you money.
-Building a character from the ground up is very satisfying.
-A lot of RPG's are based in a world that no doubt most players would love to have been born into :)
-Not just depth of story but also quality and a good RPG can get a player emotionally invested in the plot etc, always makes for a better game.
-many other reasons that would be more specific per game.
---
GamerTag : Robur1985
Carpe Noctum ~ Carpe Diem