This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Casual Consumer Base vs Hardcore Consumer Base

#1Ritster21Posted 1/14/2013 12:44:40 AM
This is not a topic of Hardcore vs Casuals. It is more of a topic of Hardcore Consumer base vs Casual Consumer Base.

My friend and I were talking about the results of the 6th Gen. I said that Microsoft and Nintendo increased their consumer base dramatically while Sony lost half of its consumer base to Microsoft and Nintendo. My friend says that most, if not all PS3 owners are hardcore. And that about 60 million out of 75 million owners of XBOX 360 are also hardcore. Pretty much, he thinks that all of the consumers base of the ps3 is Hardcore and that 80% of the consumer base of XBOX 360 is hardcore.

This is what went down.

Friend: Nintendo didnt get any of ps2 user base except maybe casuals

Me: Casuals were prob a big part of the PS2 consumer base. I highly doubt the PS2 had 150+ million hardcores.

Friend: of course not, some were core and some casual but we dont know how many were who unless there are official factual data

Me: I would say ps2 had more casual than hardcore. Everything pretty much does lol

Friend: Considering ps3 and 360 combined right now are at 151+ mil we can say most of ps2s user base were Core. Because ps2 has how much sales? 150?150+? xbox had 20 mil so that means at least 170 between both.

Friend: But looking at those numbers its a safe assumptions that most ps2 owners were core

Me: I don't think so. That's too high.

Friend: You just say that cause wii is casual and nintendo is more casual now than it was before.

Me: No, casuals have been existing alongside hardcore since the beginning of gaming.
we just didn't notice them until Nintendo revealed them to us.

Friend: Anyway, most ps3 and 360 owners are core. Probalby all ps3 owners are core.

Me: Really? All PS3 owners are core? -_-

Friend: most 360 owners are core and some are casual cause of kinect. Why would a casual own a ps3? -.-

Me: Call of Duty

Friend: it virutally has nothing casual about it. call of booty isnt a casual game.

Me: call of duty is among one of the most casualist hardcore game there is.

Friend: and cod only players are prob on 360. maybe but its still a core game. not casual

Me: It's debatable.

Friend: no but anway, theres no reason for a casual to own a ps3. So thats why its safe to assume all owners are core. casuals have reason to own 360 cause of kinect and kinect sold a lot.

Me: I would say 360, heck all consoles, have more casual owners than hardcores.

Friend: well youre wrong

Me: Most 360 owners only own 3 types of games.

Me: They own 1. "The Latest Call of Duty"

Me: 2. "Random Sports Game"

Me: 3. "Possible Random Racing Game"

Me: Call of Duty has a higher % of ownership than the other 2.

Friend: that doesnt make them casual.

Friend: not true, not all, and even if true doesnt make them casual. okay who care, doesnt make them casual

Me: only owning call of duty and a random sports game is not hardcore

Friend: why not? if the games are hardcore, that jut means that person only enjoys those games.

Friend: you cant say thats not hardcore and nintendo games are hardcore jst because they arent cod or sports games when almost all nintendo games are casual or have 1% core and the rest casual

Friend: anyway 76 mil hardcore ps3 owners, and what 50, 55, 60 mil 360 ownrers hardcore?

Friend: lets go with 60, so 75 plus 60 is how much?135? yeah and ps2 had 150 mil

Me: see thats wrong. Casuals bigtime outnumber hardcore people

Friend: now, not before and casuals only buy wii and maybe kinect

Me: Casuals only buy call of duty

Me: Take a look at this picture and tell me what you see.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=547462068599873&set=pb.480169731995774.-2207520000.1358147244&type=3&theater

What do you guys say?
#2RampantBlattPosted 1/14/2013 12:47:02 AM
The conversation, and then the poorly typed version of the conversation, gave me 5 different kinds of Cancer.

They are literally fighting over which one gets priority right now.

Though the picture is spot-on.
#3lambchipsPosted 1/14/2013 12:47:49 AM
most core gamers are on the pc now....
console has been and will always be the casual platform
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#4Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 12:48:48 AM
RampantBlatt posted...
The conversation, and then the poorly typed version of the conversation, gave me 5 different kinds of Cancer.

They are literally fighting over which one gets priority right now.

Though the picture is spot-on.

It happened on Facebook Chat.

No, that is not what we said. If you read, we were fighting about whether the hardcore or consumer base is bigger on the consoles.

Are there more casuals or more hardcores?
#5BeknessPosted 1/14/2013 12:49:12 AM
Ritster21 posted...

Friend: Anyway, most ps3 and 360 owners are core. Probalby all ps3 owners are core.

Friend: it virutally has nothing casual about it. call of booty isnt a casual game.

Friend: anyway 76 mil hardcore ps3 owners, and what 50, 55, 60 mil 360 ownrers hardcore?

Friend: lets go with 60, so 75 plus 60 is how much?135? yeah and ps2 had 150 mil

Me: see thats wrong. Casuals bigtime outnumber hardcore people

Probably, Virtually, owners, all typos.

I think there was more but they were lost in walls of text.
---
Your #1 source for natural and manmade disaster management
#6RampantBlattPosted 1/14/2013 12:50:04 AM
Yes.

That is an easy answer. There are TONS of casuals to every one "hardcore".

Really, the people on here are mostly "hardcore", because they actually remotely care about games.
#7OrangeSchweesePosted 1/14/2013 1:06:10 AM(edited)
what is this I don't even

Nevermind, I read it. I agree, "casuals" have always been around. I disagree with the pic, though. That's just a blind generalization.

Oh, and the word "casual" has lost much of its meaning. It used to be a derogatory term used in MMO's, to describe players who would drag a party down (and eventually the game itself, via whining to devs on the forums for unfair changes to the game) due to their poor gear and unrefined ability at playing their class. Now, people just throw it around to describe anyone who plays something less than they, regardless of if it even has an effect on their experience...
#8Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 1:08:45 AM
Bump.
#9JahkeemyorkPosted 1/14/2013 1:18:44 AM
I agree with the earlier poster a good majority of hardcore players are pc based. If my comp was good enough I would use steam instead of my ps3
#10Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 12:47:33 PM
Bump.