This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Poll: What's the Greatest RPG of all-time?

#191No_MegaPosted 1/14/2013 8:23:19 PM
Xenogears-nice to see it getting so much mention in the comments.

Vagrant Story is also excellent.

The poll is pretty limited without at least mentioning some WRPGs. I'd add Planescape: Torment or The Witcher to consideration.
#192imdeffbettaPosted 1/14/2013 8:28:48 PM
On that list, I would say Chrono Trigger. The best one for me overall is Final Fantasy 6, however.
#193wstfldPosted 1/14/2013 8:31:05 PM
Demon's Souls
---
Last Played: FTL (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civilzation V, FTL
#194redskinStuPosted 1/14/2013 8:40:25 PM
Ultima has got to be up there.
#195AntonSaidWhatPosted 1/14/2013 8:47:47 PM
Final Fantasy IX
#196SwaquPosted 1/14/2013 9:01:16 PM(edited)
Fallout 2

As for JRPGs I like FFIX and Chrono Cross best.

Edit: You know what, it depends how far we consider RPGs, Deus Ex, FFT, Fallout:NV, Neverwinter Nights (for multiplayer aspect.)...

I don't think most of these make it to my top 10.
#197Siara_SedaiPosted 1/15/2013 7:14:47 AM(edited)
luminion187 posted...
Terotrous posted...
luminion187 posted...
I actually think Suikoden III is better than II (obviously I'm going to get flamed for this by jaded gamers who wear nostalgia glasses).

Its gameplay clearly isn't. There's a lot more to do in Suikoden 2, and the battle system is a bit better as well. Strategy battles are way better in 2.

That being said, I think the 3 viewpoints approach was interesting, but ultimately it feels padded. I think each character's 3 chapters have about enough interesting material for one chapter, while the rest is either dull or repeated. Some pruning would have helped the pacing of the game tremendously, as by the time it gets interesting in late Chapter 4 (around 50! hours in), it's also almost over.

At least the music from Duck Village is awesome. I should listen to that now.

interesting -- I really hate that description. It comes across as dismissive. No, Suikoden 3's trinity system was more than interesting -- it was amazing, it was compelling, it was revolutionary. Suikoden fans were so obsessed with 2 due to nostalgia that they didn't even give Suikoden 3 much of a chance (I even know an idiot who said 4 was better than 3....we're not friends anymore). The story telling (not the actual story itself) in Suikoden 2 was just so boring and mundane to me. You had a mute protagonist and a single viewpoint whereas in 3 you had 4 protagonists (plus the secret antagonist chapters) and multiple viewpoints.

Most of the elements in the game (Suikoden 2) were standard JRPG fare aside from the 108 characters and owning your own castle. At least with 3 they tried something new. Although their execution was a little rough you still have to admire their ambition and creativity.

At least you're not alone. I think I might be the only one that thinks Suikoden 1 is the best...
---
That world are square.
#198TerotrousPosted 1/15/2013 7:37:50 AM(edited)
luminion187 posted...
interesting -- I really hate that description. It comes across as dismissive. No, Suikoden 3's trinity system was more than interesting -- it was amazing, it was compelling, it was revolutionary.

I certainly wouldn't use the word "revolutionary". First of all, Square beat them to the market by ten years with Treasure of the Rudras, which not only has the same multiple viewpoints thing it's also done somewhat better here as the paths overlap more often and there's much less filler. To call it a revolution also implies that it's somehow changed gaming, which it really hasn't - it's simply one method of telling a story which has the potential to raise user engagement since you have to "pay attention" to unravel the story.

Suikoden fans were so obsessed with 2 due to nostalgia that they didn't even give Suikoden 3 much of a chance (I even know an idiot who said 4 was better than 3....we're not friends anymore). The story telling (not the actual story itself) in Suikoden 2 was just so boring and mundane to me. You had a mute protagonist and a single viewpoint whereas in 3 you had 4 protagonists (plus the secret antagonist chapters) and multiple viewpoints.

The thing is, the storytelling in Suikoden 2 isn't really why anyone likes it. There's just a ton to do in that game - you can recruit a ton of characters, you can build up your castle in a ton of different ways, there's loads of items and runes to collect, there's multiple battle styles, etc. This is also true of Suikoden 3, but not until the very end of the game. Once you get about 50 hours in, Suikoden 3 may actually surpass Suikoden 2 - there's just only a few hours of gameplay left at that point and there's a lot to slog through to get that far.

To me, Suikoden 3 feels somewhat rushed / unfinished. There's a fair bit of drag in the early chapters (for example, Hugo 1 is awesome, but Hugo 2 and 3 are dull), and I feel each character could be consolidated into two chapters at most, but the main problem is really that once they join up there's so little left.

It's also worth noting that while I do think Suikoden 2 is better than 3 overall, I didn't vote Suikoden 2 in the poll, partially due to some of the issues you brought up like the fact that its story isn't that amazing. Suikoden 2 can clearly still be improved upon, and 3 does make some improvements. Unfortunately, it also takes some steps backward in a few areas, so the ultimate Suikoden game hasn't really happened yet.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#199Ubba84Posted 1/15/2013 7:36:21 AM
FF9 and 6
---
PSN: SaucagedogOelie
Yes I did spell sausage wrong, so sue me :-(
#200deadmarvPosted 1/15/2013 10:50:48 AM
lebronwadebosh posted...
please try to understand that there's a lot of Great RPGs . i'm totally bound to miss them... just post it .... i based this one on the "Questions for RPG fans?" and "Top 100 RPGs by IGN " thread. ...

''leaves and will never look at posts because of complaints about the list being crap" ...

Hmm...mostly JRPGs and no bethe$da games? I smell a troll.
---
All PS3 owners should boycott Bethesda.