This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is your opinion on. . . Bioware's stance on Gay gaming?

#221DrakoVongola1Posted 1/16/2013 10:29:46 AM
darkphoenix181 posted...
DrakoVongola1 posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...
DrakoVongola1 posted...
darkphoenix181 posted...

There is no disrespect to gay people to tell the truth of what is contained in the bible. God did not create Adam and Steve just as the second poster said. This is a fact if you are a christian.

What followed that was disrespect to the man's belief.

In other words, freedom of religion unless what I want to do contradicts your relgion. Then you are forced to no longer believe your religion.

Consider this, what if Bioware made a planet of bible thumpers quoting scriptures and claiming the evidences of God's existence?
Would you approach it with the same open mind and respect it like you did with the gay planet?

If not, you are a bigot and don't care about rights. What you care about is your own agenda.

Your damn right I care about my own agenda more than yours when your agenda has been putting people like me down for centuries.

I don't care one little bit about your religion, when you go around and start disrespecting people and trying to keep people from having equal rights based solely on who gives them a boner I have a problem with that, as should any other rational, civil human being.

As for your stupid little question, no I would not care. I would question the purpose of it, but I wouldn't care in the slightest. If I didn't like what was on that planet I wouldn't go to it, just like if you don't like gay people getting married you don't have to go to a gay wedding.

You are correct when you say that God made Adam and Eve, but I fail to see how that means he hates gay people. Jesus never said one word about gay people, the only time it's ever mentioned in the New Testament was by Paul, who may I remind you was a fallible human being and not the Son of God.

You people! You did this! You did that!
Except, I did not!

You know what this sounds like? This sounds a like a prejudiced generalization. Apparently by believing in God I am now lumped into some giant group of people who are all bad and did terrible things to gay people when I nor anyone I know has done anything of the sort.

All I did was point out irony in this thread.

You're going to get generalized when the most vocal of your people are the idiots I speak of, you should get used to that.

It's fine. If you wish to be prejudiced and become a hypocrite, more power to you.

I'm only prejudiced against people who try to deny other's their rights, especially ones who use God to justify their bigotry. I don't know you so how can I know whether or not you're like the majority of Christians?
---
I hate religion, but I love Jesus.
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#222ADHDguitarPosted 1/16/2013 10:33:29 AM
DrakoVongola1 posted...

I'm only prejudiced against people who try to deny other's their rights, especially ones who use God to justify their bigotry. I don't know you so how can I know whether or not you're like the majority of Christians?

That's literately the textbook definition of prejudice. "I don't know you so I'm going to place the negative depiction of a group of people you're part of on you."
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#223TerotrousPosted 1/16/2013 10:54:09 AM(edited)
darkphoenix181 posted...
You people! You did this! You did that!
Except, I did not!

You know what this sounds like? This sounds a like a prejudiced generalization. Apparently by believing in God I am now lumped into some giant group of people who are all bad and did terrible things to gay people when I nor anyone I know has done anything of the sort.

All I did was point out irony in this thread.

This is legitimate. If you are a Christian and you don't discriminate, you're not doing anything wrong.

Though organized Christianity is still at fault because the discriminatory stance is their official one. They need to not only change their policy here, but they need to actively condemn those who discriminate, whether on religious grounds or otherwise.

This is actually something the US as a whole has a lot of problems with - they refuse to condemn discrimination and hate speech, instead they usually act to give the people who spew this garbage a greater voice. The republican party, for example, would be a lot more credible if they would come out and say "racism is simply wrong and anyone who uses race to try to discredit Obama needs to realize that this is not acceptable and we will not give the slightest consideration to your opinions". Instead they try to subtly pander to these people instead (though they're far from the only people guilty of doing this).
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#224hockeybub89Posted 1/16/2013 10:55:38 AM
I think you're wrong about the majority of Christians "hating" gay people. A lot of people seem uncomfortable, but I think you can only fault them so much. We are just in a transition period in society. So many things that were once seen as bad have become socially acceptable over the centuries. Heck, not even a hundred years ago, everyone thought there was nothing wrong with colored bathrooms. Homosexuality is just dealing with its own transition phase now. You're just going to have to live with it and know that future gays will appreciate what you dealt with for their benefit.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#225TerotrousPosted 1/16/2013 11:01:00 AM(edited)
hockeybub89 posted...
I think you're wrong about the majority of Christians "hating" gay people. A lot of people seem uncomfortable, but I think you can only fault them so much. We are just in a transition period in society. So many things that were once seen as bad have become socially acceptable over the centuries. Heck, not even a hundred years ago, everyone thought there was nothing wrong with colored bathrooms. Homosexuality is just dealing with its own transition phase now. You're just going to have to live with it and know that future gays will appreciate what you dealt with for their benefit.

This is likely true, but we're still reliant on congress to take the first step and end the legal discrimination. Once that's gone, the religions will have to be next, and then it will filter down to regular people. The longer they put this off because they're afraid of losing the support of bigoted people, the longer the transition will take.

The comparison to segregation is apt, I just wish more people would realize that if you oppose homosexual rights, you're clearly going to be on the wrong side of history, just as the people who opposed desegregation were.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#226Alyzabeth1990Posted 1/16/2013 11:05:13 AM
velvet_hammer posted...
God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve

I have an Adam and Steve pairing.. ;)
#227nutslapPosted 1/16/2013 11:12:23 AM
id prefer not to have that in games but whatever, let gay people have their fun.

on the other hand, getting stuck with a dude in dragon's dogma just because i upgraded my weapons frequently was ridiculous.
---
maybe she's born with it
or maybe.. it's MAYBELLINE
#228plucky027Posted 1/16/2013 11:26:50 AM
The primary theories of evolution are sound, what religious folks can't get their mind around is the fact we don't know 100% for certain what happened or when. So they instantly dismiss any possibility of being wrong instead of continuing their line of research. The only way they can get a grip on their own reality is to think they know everything just because some parent or priest told them so.

One of my favorite examples of this was many old maps specially created by the catholic church pointed that heaven was due East, where the sun rose over the edge of the our flat planet. That was proven completely wrong so they just pointed at the sky and said, OK it's up there now. Proven completely wrong and still they continue on lying to keep everyone believing and themselves in power. Exactly the same reason the catholic church hates birth control, less sheep for them to herd. It's competition vs other religions, increase your numbers until the opposition is finished and everyone on the planet bows before a Pope appointed by men, not a god. The #1 way people start believing this pile of tripe is because their parents tell them to, the church knows this people. Or they live in a 3rd world country with no schools, little food and water, and these nice religious people come along, fix a few things, teach them to read and then shove bibles in their hands. Missionary work is just another scam to drum up more followers. While good people are genuinely trying to help others by going on these trips, the church is just using them as tools to spread their own biased message. A ridiculously small number of educated people ever convert, so off to Africa we go.

But back onto topic, gay characters and romance in video games makes absolutely no difference to me. People have the right to do whatever and whomever they like and I respect that. If I created a game I'd make it how I wanted it not how everyone else on the planet wanted it, if that meant less sales then so be it. However, while I was flattered Zevran wanted to polish my man pole, requiring me to go through with it to earn a Trophy on the road to platinum... ehhhh maybe want to rethink that as it's going to annoy a lot of achievement junkies out there. No romances, gay or straight, should have that specific of trophies. While all game content and trophies are completely optional, you are still dangling a pixelated carrot we want out there..... uh, no the dangling carrot wasn't a sexual reference. :P
#229muggyPosted 1/16/2013 11:31:00 AM
plucky027 posted...

-Proven completely wrong and still they continue on lying to keep everyone believing and themselves in power.

-less sheep for them to herd.

-The #1 way people start believing this pile of tripe is because their parents tell them to, the church knows this people.

-and then shove bibles in their hands. Missionary work is just another scam to drum up more followers.

-While good people are genuinely trying to help others -
the church is just using them as tools to spread their own biased message.

People have the right to do whatever and whomever they like and I respect that.

Uh, No you don't.
#230kiahPosted 1/16/2013 11:31:41 AM
Things that make you go hmmm...

OK, so God created Adam and Eve and then stopped creating? Who creates homosexuals?

Why is it an insult for a gay man to hit on a straight man, but NOT an insult for a man to hit on any woman he feels like hitting on?

The Judeo-Christian scriptures pretty much give the same discourse against adulterers (much more often and explicitly) as homosexuals, but many people shrug off the former as a necessary evil and are thoroughly repulsed by the latter, which is odd because current scientific inquiry indicates being homosexual is NOT a choice, whereas being an adulterer most certainly IS a choice.

Until all people wear signs saying STRAIGHT, GAY, and BISEXUAL, MALE, FEMALE, and HERMAPHRODITE, it's a little difficult to know just who is hitting on you in the first place.

Doesn't it make more sense to respond with either a "Yeah, baby" or "No thanks" and be done with it rather than wasting all that emotional energy in hating someone you don't even know anything about?

The day people start irrationally loving and accepting different groups of people as often as they irrationally hate different groups of people is when Christianity starts to live up to its credo "Owe no man anything but to love one another. He that loveth another hath fulfilled the law." And I mean "love" in its most positive and Biblical sense.
---
Q: What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic?
A: Someone who stays up all night wondering if there is a Dog. G. Marx