This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are all Blu-ray lenses the same?

#1ohmyupoorchildPosted 1/17/2013 5:00:58 AM
As in their quality? I've had three different PS3's due to their lenses dying out. I know they all go eventually due to wear and tear with games, watching DVDs and BR filmes, etc, but are their better/different versions or are they all the same? I'm not talking about the PS3 exclusively either, any Blu-ray device, are they all built equally?

I would think not due to price differences, but I don't know much about Blu-ray devices outside of my PS3 experiences. If the quality varies across different devices, does Sony use the best lens they have in the PS3?

If not, they should, because I love my PS3 and it sucks their lenses go out. I don't own any Blu-ray movies or DVD's. I only use my PS3 for games and Netflix. My mother wants to buy a PS3 because she wants a Blu-ray player for her TV and sound system, but I don't know if I should tell her to go ahead and get one or to just get a standalone Blu-ray player. She would probably play games a little and use it for Blu-ray movies and Netflix mostly.
---
PSN: detoxifying
#2muggyPosted 1/17/2013 5:07:17 AM
Yeah if she is going to use it for games too, I would say get a PS3. As for all blurays created equally I am not sure.
#3Pereb27Posted 1/17/2013 5:13:26 AM
The lenses from old BC and 40gb models have a higher failure rate than the others. That's all I can think of.