This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will JRPGs keep getting worse or will they eventually get better?

#1FiendingHardPosted 1/17/2013 12:47:17 PM
Some people think we're in limbo right now and we will get a barrage of great JRPGs in the near future. Others are not so optimistic and think the days of JRPGs being the juggernaut behemoths are over and will fade into obscurity soon.

JRPGs are doing well for themselves on handhelds but its a different story on consoles.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Anarchy Reigns, Far Cry 3, Torchlight 2, Final Fantasy 9.
#2RampantBlattPosted 1/17/2013 12:48:08 PM
They won't get better till the gamers get smarter and the industry pulls its head out.
#3Devilman_AmonPosted 1/17/2013 12:52:04 PM
FiendingHard posted...
Some people think we're in limbo right now and we will get a barrage of great JRPGs in the near future. Others are not so optimistic and think the days of JRPGs being the juggernaut behemoths are over and will fade into obscurity soon.

JRPGs are doing well for themselves on handhelds but its a different story on consoles.

When the shift of interests in both development and purchasing goes from handheld back to console.

This gen the PS3 was underused because it was costly to develop for for many of those RPG developers who couldn't or didn't have the budget to make full fledged AAA rpgs with sprawling worlds on HD consoles using 30 to 60 million budgets.
Not to mention the shift of interest of Japanese gamers who this gen opted to play games on the go instead of playing in their crampt little Japanese homes with the tatami beds and living rooms the size of your average bathroom.

So if the next gen has easier to use development kits and the interest from the Japanese market wanes off of the PSP and 3DS and smartphones, then perhaps they can grab that back.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#4Bancario51Posted 1/17/2013 12:53:42 PM
JRPGS by and large are niche titles. And a matter of opinion,
---
Claiming to be an official ____ of a board is officially dumb
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#5ScreamingMidgetPosted 1/17/2013 12:54:21 PM
What an original thread.
#6gtaking5Posted 1/17/2013 1:02:52 PM
There are a lot of great JRPG's out there. Only problem is to play them you either have to live in Japan, or know how to read Japanese, as well as owning a PSP and a Nintendo DS. If you fit that description, enjoy the plethora of JRPG's you have at your disposal. If you don't fit that bill, well then you're s*** outta luck.
---
#NTN
#7GamerSantaPosted 1/17/2013 1:05:08 PM
Bancario51 posted...

Kingdom Hearts is more popular in America than it is in Japan. I see KH merchandise in retail stores and other outlets as opposed to a franchise as obscure as Bioshock and Mass Effect.
---
My magnificence knows no bounds.
#8ShineboxerPosted 1/17/2013 1:07:56 PM
Bancario51 posted...

Kingdom Hearts is more popular in America than it is in Japan. I see KH merchandise in retail stores and other outlets as opposed to a franchise as obscure as Bioshock and Mass Effect.

That's disney selling the merchandise, not SE.

Disney is a beast not to be trifled with.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#9GamerSantaPosted 1/17/2013 1:15:11 PM
Shineboxer posted...
Bancario51 posted...

That's disney selling the merchandise, not SE.

Disney is a beast not to be trifled with.

Undoubtedly. But still, it sells because people know and love the franchise.
---
My magnificence knows no bounds.
#10Devilman_AmonPosted 1/17/2013 1:20:32 PM
Bancario51 posted...

True. Which is why WRPG makers these days try to pass off action/sandbox games and FPS/TPS as RPGs so they can reach past that niche demographic
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)