This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you guys think the PS4 will be backwards compatible with all PS3 games?

#51JoveHackPosted 1/18/2013 10:39:15 PM
Ragnoraok posted...
JoveHack posted...
Ragnoraok posted...
the ps3 can play ps1 games?

Yes.

And the 80GB model could play PS2 games via software emulation.

I have a 80gb ps3 sine 2008, but I doubt it could play ps2 games. Actually, I am going to try.

EDIT: I put in Naruto Ultimate Ninja 4(relatively recent ps2 game) and God of War(relatively old ps2 game), and neither worked. I got a sign that said "This model of ps3 does not support ps2 games"

I was referring to the early model fat NTSC 80GB PS3, that had four USB ports.

Source.
http://ps2.wikia.com/wiki/PS3s_with_PS2_Backwards_Compatibility

Which states in part:
NTSC 80gb v1 - partial BC
NTSC 80gb v2 - no BC

Sorry I misled you.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#52kobalobasileusPosted 1/18/2013 10:52:00 PM
No way will Sony keep using the pointless Cell processor architecture. Without Cell (or at least some flavor of PowerPC) the PS4/Orbis would have to be insanely powerful to run the emulation software that would be required for BC.

The only way it will happen is if Sony decides to re-re-master certain PS3 games in 4K Ultra HD for people to rebuy and play on the Orbis.
#53iTossSaladsPosted 1/18/2013 10:55:01 PM
No. Almost 0% chance of that happening. I mean, they got rid of PS3 BC on PS3 because people were using their new PS3's as an expensive PS2 and not going out and buying new games for PS3. If they add PS4 BC with PS4, people will spend the first year or two, at least, using it as an expensive PS3 and not going out and buying PS4. Sony won't let that happen again.
#543D3Posted 1/18/2013 11:12:06 PM
iTossSalads posted...
No. Almost 0% chance of that happening. I mean, they got rid of PS3 BC on PS3 because people were using their new PS3's as an expensive PS2 and not going out and buying new games for PS3. If they add PS4 BC with PS4, people will spend the first year or two, at least, using it as an expensive PS3 and not going out and buying PS4. Sony won't let that happen again.

They took it out to make it cheaper because people weren't buying it.
---
Because Naughty Dog
Joel+Ellie=Jelly...You Jelly?
#55FungumPosted 1/18/2013 11:14:16 PM
Nope. It's hard enough for a PC to emulate Wii games. The PS4 won't be anywhere near powerful enough to emulate the PS3.
#56CloakedNubPosted 1/18/2013 11:16:13 PM
There's no way it's going to be BC with PS3 games.
#57archizzyPosted 1/18/2013 11:29:02 PM
3D3 posted...
iTossSalads posted...

Salad is right.

They took it out to spur PS3 software sales. There is a quote somewhere if you look for it. Cutting cost was a bonus but their primary goal was to spur PS3 software sales as opposed to people using it as a higher priced PS2.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#58iTossSaladsPosted 1/18/2013 11:33:07 PM
3D3 posted...
iTossSalads posted...

Nope. People here like to repeat that but Sony has admitted removing PS3 BC from PS3 had VERY LITTLE to do with cutting costs and pretty much everything to do with trying to push new PS3 game sales. Like I said, people just weren't buying new PS3 games and using the thing initially and an expensive PS2.
#59FearPotionPosted 1/18/2013 11:37:49 PM
Don't know if it's been mention here but there were rumors flying around about Sony releasing a usb dongle that contains the Cell processor and RSX to run PS3 games. Sold separately.
#60LionheartCJPosted 1/18/2013 11:41:05 PM
I really doubt it for PS3 since its still quite a powerful console (no 360/PS3 emulators for PC that i know of)

They will probably have PS1 and PS2 software emulation though, PSP would be cool aswell but i doubt that
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSWXqC7Dlhs - The Legend Of Don Piano