This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Digital Foundry has PS4 specs!?

#51SoliquidusPosted 1/18/2013 4:48:35 PM
In all honesty tho, I wouldn't mind if the System costs $599 or even a bit more. Doesn't seem like much to ask for this level of Tech. I don't want Sony to make a Loss on the Orbis, so if I have to pay a little more then that is fine by me.

Seems like Sony knows what they are doing this time around. So apparently Orbis will be affordable for what it offers, all whilst Sony turns a profit

Sigh. With all this news coming out about these consoles from so many reliable sources, it is quite obvious that these console will be unveiled soon, with a launch not too long after

So exciting
---
PS3 without Immersion lacks Rumble and PS3 without Rumble lacks Immersion. Finally Sony did the right thing
#52mogar002Posted 1/18/2013 4:49:19 PM
DF doesn't have squat
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#53godplaysSNESPosted 1/18/2013 4:49:35 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
FearPotion posted...
Jonvandamm posted...
With specs like that, I'm going to say the PS4 will launch from anywhere between $600-$749, maybe as high as $800. Hopefully not, but anything less than $600 will be another major loss for Sony, unless they plan on doing a high end model and a low end model, which costs less. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

The PS3 was expensive mainly due to the fact that it included the blu-ray drive which was the main reason at the time in driving the cost up. Not the specs. In a way blu-ray was a double edge sword for them. They lost some marketshare but it also played a major factor in blu-rays vs hd-dvd wars.

If the PS4 is sticking with blu-ray like we all think, it shouldn't be that expensive. Going for AMD over Nvidia is also a smart choice since Nvidia is always looking for additional incentives. I also heard about the usb dongle for PS2/PS3 backward compatibility. That's also great for those that want it. So I think Sony got the ball rolling in the right direction.

The GPU cost more than the blu-ray drive. The GPU, CPU, and Bluray Drive cost about $320 all together.

The 360 came one year earlier, was cheaper, and still trades blows with the PS3. The PS3 really isn't a great example of how to make the best console
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#54SsliasilPosted 1/18/2013 5:07:20 PM(edited)
I dont think some of you realize just how powerful a 4gb DDR5 car in conjunction with the rest of these specs really is O.o

It's mind bogglingly powerful, there has yet to be a game released, or announced that would cause even the slightest bit of lag for these specs.

To put it in perspective, a 4GB DDR5 card alone will run you nearly triple the price of a PS3...'

A DDR5 is unique in the way it processes RAM, Its much faster than its predecessors and uses less energy.

A 2GB DDR5 will generally outperform an 8GB DDR3, and we're talking double that. It's...exceptionally ridiculous. So much so that I wouldn't bet on this being true, but if it is...then my god.

---
"Ya know?" Wakka FF X and X-2.
#55Shinobi120Posted 1/18/2013 5:13:59 PM(edited)
^This. GDDR5 is far more superior than GDDR3 & destroys it in every aspect.
#56SsliasilPosted 1/18/2013 5:22:16 PM
Thats not even taking into account that this is a console, or a system with specialized specs.

What I mean, consoles dont change, once it is released, those are the specs it is stuck with forever. Which is amazing to most developers because you can tweak lines of code and programming to perfection. In other words, a console can and WILL beat the living snot out of a PC with equal specs.

It is completely impossible to fine tune game programming for PC's because of the extremely wide range of graphics cards and processors that have circulated around the world. That's why Lag is a common issue among PC's no matter what their specs.

That and you dont have to worry about an Operating System Bottleneck.

I love Consoles.

/nerdout
---
"Ya know?" Wakka FF X and X-2.
#57Real_AccountPosted 1/19/2013 10:53:24 AM
only 4GB of RAM?

Anyone here think the PS4 have way too few RAM? (only 4GB vs NextXbox 8GB of RAM)

Do you guys think Sony will make the same mistake again next gen by not having enough RAM and the PS4 will end up getting the worst version of multi-plat games again?
#58FISTY919Posted 1/19/2013 11:31:56 AM(edited)
mogar002 posted...
DF doesn't have squat

Pretty much. The article reads like it was written by the work experience kid. DF makes a decent comparison site, but it opinion pieces reek of bias and inaccuracies. Like when they went to such extreme lengths on twitter to call superDAE a liar and in the end wrote an article saying how legit it was.

Odds are they saw everyone else writing these articles and saw the clicks they were getting. It's like they cobbled together the 720's CPU advantage and GPU specific tech and pretended it's in the PS4.

From the article it's clear they have ZERO info on the Durango, which is cool IMO, such secrecy excites me.

Anyone here think the PS4 have way too few RAM? (only 4GB vs NextXbox 8GB of RAM)

Yes, even if you believe the hilariously wrong conceptions about the 720's 3GB OS, the system would still have at least a 1.5Gb advantage (40%). Look at the damage 50MB difference did this gen to the PS3. Aside from developer requests for more memory, this is the reason Microsoft did this anyway, PS3 weakness was a lack of memory, by enforcing a larger difference by default, you're going to see a significant difference when porting a game developed for 8GB into 4GB.

Do you guys think Sony will make the same mistake again next gen by not having enough RAM and the PS4 will end up getting the worst version of multi-plat games again?

Odds are this is a result of using a relatively uncustom GPU. Sony took an off the shelf AMD part, which would require GDDR5 to function next gen.

Microsoft once again created a custom piece for the GPU, stuck a 32-128MB piece of 1-2T/B SRam in for the bandwidth heavy framebuffer and got the 8GB the graphic heavy developers asked for.
#59SophisticationPosted 1/19/2013 11:06:05 AM
Real_Account posted...
only 4GB of RAM?

No.. not remotely. Ps4 has face melter fast, efficient,expensive top of the line ram. Nbox has 8gb of slow, dinosaur ram in which 3gb of it is reserved 100% to the os. That leaves 5gb of jank ram to the system. Ps4 will have all 4gb of its stupidly awesome ram at all times due to everything being flogged off the cores of cpu. Its going to be super powerful...
---
As a sophistocrat I am here to represent my fellow like minded Sophisticated gamers with judicious topics & post that spark debate.
PSN: Sophistocrat
#60antoinejonesPosted 1/19/2013 11:09:10 AM
soo does that mean they can no longer use "lack of RAM" for excuse for no party chat? and that certain games wouldnt have to lower their graphics and retool the game to make it run on PS3 because of the limited RAM (Final Fantasy XIV)?
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.