This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Digital Foundry has PS4 specs!?

#91FISTY919Posted 1/19/2013 8:19:12 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
Universquall posted...
All of his Microsoft paid for posts.

This post is lacking context...

He's trying to paint the picture that my comments are pro Microsoft, when they're just referencing a generation of evidence.

The PS3 had similar bandwidth advantages and near parity on the RAM compared to the Xbox 360, yet bandwidth was a hindrance in cross platform games and bore its head in exclusives like Killzone, Uncharted, you name it...and the RAM disparity was pretty evident in Fallout and Skyrim among others. "Lazy devs" they would say.

The PS4 supposedly has similar bandwidth advantages and solves the split-ram issue, albeit in the least correct way, by denying the console the other 4GB. The PS4 would easily be in a better position by continuing the split-ram approach of the PS3 and adding in another 4GB of GDDR3.
#92SophisticationPosted 1/19/2013 8:23:53 PM
killak posted...
The CPU has 6GBps transfer rates O.o How is that a decrease?

It's a decrease as a singular core. We're going from 3.2ghz, to 1.6.

I know that overall it'll be faster, but since the core clock is slower, the heat dissipation will be faster and will most likely be a more reliable system.

Everyone who is considered a tech head on neogaf says. Otherwise. They say the ps4 specs are insane for console due to games being heavily optimized for it specifically. They are saying it's basically everything developers have been asking for.
---
As a sophistocrat I am here to represent my fellow like minded Sophisticated gamers with judicious topics & post that spark debate.
PSN: Sophistocrat
#93morphinapgPosted 1/19/2013 8:24:41 PM
The problem is you have to have a strong first thread. A lot of stuff in games must be run on the first, main thread. 1.6 GHz cores would be fine for additional cores, but the first core should be more powerful than the PS3's CPU, and at 1.6 GHz, I doubt that's the case. It could be extremely limiting. Don't get me wrong, developers will do a lot to optimize code for 8 core CPUs, but there are certain things that just don't work properly unless run consecutively on a single thread, and those type of actions may be severely limited this gen. I know these AMD CPUs likely have a better instruction set than the Cell, therefore not needing as much GHz for the same output, but still... HALF!? I highly doubt they're THAT much optimized.

And when utilized properly, the PS3's Cell could be equivalent to a true 6 core 3.2 GHz CPU, such as when fully utilized with games like Uncharted 2/3. Most game developers didn't take the time to learn the full capabilities of the SPEs, but when utilized properly, I have a feeling the cell would outperform an 8 core 1.6 GHz CPU. This is why these rumored specs worry me quite a lot. Now, if this CPU is anything like some of the AMD CPUs out there right now, it likely overclocks itself when enough performance is demanded of it, so 1.6 GHz may not be the limit. If that's the case, it may not be as bad as it sounds.
#94FISTY919Posted 1/19/2013 8:26:40 PM
Pay no heed to the clock decrease, it doesn't mean anything in terms of performance unless you're comparing it to a higher clocked version of itself.
#95killakPosted 1/19/2013 8:27:43 PM
Everyone who is considered a tech head on neogaf says. Otherwise. They say the ps4 specs are insane for console due to games being heavily optimized for it specifically.

As I said, overall it will be faster, but the core clock is slower. That's my point.
---
..you're supposed to put spoilers when you talk about the color of the sky. some people haven't seen it yet. - llaW_Enots
#96CooperRCPosted 1/19/2013 8:31:58 PM
I have to call BS on these specs. I do not think people realize how expensive 4GB of DDR5 is.
#97Pendragoon(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 8:41:27 PM
CooperRC posted...
I have to call BS on these specs. I do not think people realize how expensive 4GB of DDR5 is.

In bulk orders it will probably be the most expensive part of the console. Given that a 6670 GPU with 1gb of gddr5 is profitable at $90 to Amazon, who also buy it from another company who sold it to them for a profit, I doubt it will cost more than $80 for this RAM if Sony goes with it. Still expensive, but nothing compared to the most expensive parts of the PS3 at launch.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#98SsliasilPosted 1/19/2013 8:46:27 PM
Ahh okay I see what you mean, that wont effect anything, the Cell Processor's architecture is really really weird and is built in a way that requires that much clock speed, but the actual clock speed of the system as a whole is much much lower
---
"Ya know?" Wakka FF X and X-2.
#99RedJacket200Posted 1/19/2013 8:53:13 PM
If these specs are really true I wouldn't get to hyped. Devs will still develop on the new Xbox because it will be easier so the PS4's power won't be fully utilized yet again giving the PS4 players crappy ports, but great exclusives.
---
Force Recon -- Penetrates Deeper, Takes Longer And Carries A Bigger Load
#100Shinobi120Posted 1/19/2013 8:56:41 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
Universquall posted...
Because I forgot to quote Shinobi in relation to the MS plant.

There is a difference between a fanboy and a MS plant. Have you ever dealt with a corporate plant on a message board before? They do a very good job of blending into a user group.

I'm not a fanboy (or a "MS plant"), if you're referring to me.