This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Free to Play is NOT the Future

#1backguard222Posted 1/18/2013 3:30:26 PM(edited)
The future is making customers pay full price for a base game and then nickel and diming them with extra content.

NOT giving customers them the game for free.

And the future is now.

Lament you poor souls. Break out your classic consoles and cleanse your hearts.
#2iPr0kkaFTWPosted 1/18/2013 3:31:07 PM
*goes back to playing Planetside 2*
#3OrangeSchweesePosted 1/18/2013 4:05:31 PM(edited)
nickel and diming with extra content that nobody is forcing you to buy.

Nevermind, I think I misunderstood your post.

A good example of what you mentioned is Skylanders. It's basically Pokemon, where you have to pay for extra monsters.
#4darkphoenix181Posted 1/18/2013 3:38:32 PM
only a small part of the game is free: League of Legends
---
Megaman Legends 3 :( NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
#5calhoun1389Posted 1/18/2013 3:46:07 PM
nickel and diming with extra content that nobody is forcing you to buy.

Could do as bad as Digimon Masters Online does. It's supposed to be similar to Pokemon, but you only have a 2% chance of getting any secondary Digimon unless you pay $7 for one.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#6Joyce_RhyderPosted 1/18/2013 3:51:29 PM
Not giving the customers the game for free has been the norm for years. In fact its how most businesses do business. Its when the extra content they release that was clearly meant to be apart of the original game that they sell seperately that doesnt bother me!
Xbox live is different tho. You pay for the internet, you pay for the game, you pay for the extra content and now in a manner of speaking YOU HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE MS!!!
#7Dan_Dan_91_07Posted 1/18/2013 4:03:57 PM
Pay to win is a horrible business model for true fans. Hell it's not even exclusive to f2p anymore with things like Final Fantasy: All The Bravest. >.>

The current gaming market is screwed up in many ways though - paying for a game to only receive 50% of it (having to pay for DLC to receive the other half) etc. I wish the masses stopped blindly giving these companies their money. Supply and demand - the companies aren't being greedy or unfair, it's just business.
#8ExtremeLightPosted 1/18/2013 4:07:05 PM
These so called free to play feed into the desire to pay more for better gaming experience. In reality, you're playing a toned down game but have to pay to get the good or more stuffs.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#9RagnoraokPosted 1/18/2013 4:07:26 PM
I agree. DLC crap is the future, which is getting worse now. Companies, like Capcom, release a portion of the game for full price and then release the rest as premium dlc. It is whatever tho, since so many gamers are too complacent to do anything about it, even if it is as simple as not purchasing the dlc or boycotting those games/companies....
---
Here at gamefaqs, you are either a troll, noob, or fanboy.....choose wisely.
#10Shinobi120Posted 1/18/2013 4:07:36 PM
Dan_Dan_91_07 posted...
Pay to win is a horrible business model for true fans. Hell it's not even exclusive to f2p anymore with things like Final Fantasy: All The Bravest. >.>

The current gaming market is screwed up in many ways though - paying for a game to only receive 50% of it (having to pay for DLC to receive the other half) etc. I wish the masses stopped blindly giving these companies their money. Supply and demand - the companies aren't being greedy or unfair, it's just business.

This. People need to start waking up. These companies are going to continue to get away with practices like these as long as many of these so called "gamers" keep bending over to them in everything that they do.