This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Free to Play is NOT the Future

#11squall1981Posted 1/18/2013 4:10:50 PM
this is why i refuse to buy many good games until the goty edition comes out and i can get the whole game without spending mroe money.

i really want to buy borderlands 2/ skyrim/ and other great games but i refuse to until i can get a full game.

i only just bought gta4 and RDR recently due to this. i miss the good old days when you actually get a full game for your money.

sequals> DLC

square used to pump out quality games soooo fast ff7/ff8/ff9/ff10/fftactics/pe1/pe2 etc all came out within what 3-4 years? we lucky to get 1 decent game per decade now.
---
trolls and fanboys are the same just working on different ends of the spectrum.
#12badboyPosted 1/18/2013 4:17:01 PM
Free to play is the future of MMOs not all games.
#13AnonymousFriendPosted 1/18/2013 5:25:10 PM
Joyce_Rhyder posted...
Not giving the customers the game for free has been the norm for years. In fact its how most businesses do business. Its when the extra content they release that was clearly meant to be apart of the original game that they sell seperately that doesnt bother me!
Xbox live is different tho. You pay for the internet, you pay for the game, you pay for the extra content and now in a manner of speaking YOU HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE MS!!!

Without a dev to confess, how do we know what's "meant to be apart of the original game"? Compare the extra squad mates from Mass Effect 2 with the one from the third game. In 2, they have very limited dialog on the ship and in missions. In 3, Javik adds a lot to the missions, especially one in particular.

Personally, I would want any purchase I make to be of the upmost quality.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
#14calhoun1389Posted 1/18/2013 5:51:46 PM
As much as we as consumers hate it, so long as thousands will support it, it's a brilliant business strategy. Take Digimon Masters Online for example. You get the game for free, but you only get to choose on of the Season 5 partners to start with. It gives you a chance to get different partners as you progress through the game. However, they make their money by making it unbelievably difficult to get the Digimon.

See, to get a new Digimon, you have to grind for a "mercenary egg" which only drop at like 5% from the desired Digimon (or it's evolutions) and you have to grind to get "Data" to "inject" into the egg to hatch it. These Data drops are also rare. Even if you get a Guilmon egg and the 30 Data to hatch it, you have to successfully inject data 3 times. However, you have only a 2% chance at succeeding at even one. With like a 60% chance of destroying the egg, causing the players to have to grind for a new egg and more Data to inject.

Since the game's chances are greatly stacked against the players, Joymax has a cash store that makes it easier to get Digimon. The prices are $7 for an egg and $0.80 for each Data item. This comes out to $27 for just that one Digimon. If you want them to reach a level beyond Champion, you need 12 "Evolutors" which cost $3.60 a piece. That one Digimon now costs $70.20... that's more than a full game release for just ONE extra Digimon. If you want more than the basic 3 Digimon, then you have to spend $2.70 for each extra Digimon, on top of the already ridiculous cost of that one Digimon.

While extremely user-unfriendly, they're raking in $10+ more from one Digimon than most game companies get from one game sale. From that angle, it's brilliant. Millions to be made off only about 10,000 users should they want new and more powerful Digimon that are otherwise near impossible to achieve through normal play.
---
My first born, Jackson was born on Friday, May 11, 2012.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#15MegaMettaurPosted 1/18/2013 5:54:44 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
nickel and diming with extra content that nobody is forcing you to buy.

Nevermind, I think I misunderstood your post.

A good example of what you mentioned is Skylanders. It's basically Pokemon, where you have to pay for extra monsters.

Or companies that sell you half a game, then charge you more for the rest of it (ridge Racer Vita)
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#16MegaMettaurPosted 1/18/2013 5:54:44 PM
OrangeSchweese posted...
nickel and diming with extra content that nobody is forcing you to buy.

Nevermind, I think I misunderstood your post.

A good example of what you mentioned is Skylanders. It's basically Pokemon, where you have to pay for extra monsters.

Or companies that sell you half a game, then charge you more for the rest of it (ridge Racer Vita)
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#17AmanoJPosted 1/18/2013 6:16:24 PM
The topic is depressing, because it IS a good business strategy, it's just disgusting to anyone who really loves games. Games these days are being cashed in on from every conceivable angle, and then some. It's really hard to watch.

The posters who say the power is in the hands of the conusmers are correct. Nothing will change as long as people keep paying whatever is asked for these things. Problem is, individually, many of these transactions are incredibly easy for most people to justify. "It's only five bucks once," or something. Many don't stop to think of it as a whole, how much they actually end up paying for a game when all is said and done. We are talking about some seriously outrageous prices for full content for a single game, or for what would equal the same content you used to get.
It's a marketing strategy that's worked for ages, and its also a psychological trick on some level. Much the same way the 99-cent trick works. You see something priced at 1.99 and subconciously see it as quite a bit cheaper than if it had been priced at 2.00. It's only a penny, but it still feels significant to most people.

I've seen some pretty crazy DLC/Freemium prices and tactics at work already, and it only looks to be getting worse. Every time I see "free to play," I cringe. It's usually easy to guess what that means.
---
Clever got me this far, then tricky got me in.
#18Taran_McDohlPosted 1/18/2013 6:23:00 PM
This is just silly...the proof is *stops caring..walks away and heads back to Skyrim*
---
An excuse is the sauce fools spoon over failure to hide the flavor of their own incompetence.
PSN: Taran_Omega / Steam ID: tpanciera
#19boredofyouPosted 1/18/2013 6:30:57 PM
backguard222 posted...
The future is making customers pay full price for a base game and then nickel and diming them with extra content.

NOT giving customers them the game for free.

And the future is now.

Lament you poor souls. Break out your classic consoles and cleanse your hearts.

I disagree.
The future is breaking full games into episodes and charging full game price for each one while maintaining the already on the disc dlc dynamic. Also, soon some "genius" executive will suggest that they begin charging for single game save increments of cloud space for your game saves..

See? You've only had a taste of the ways they can milk cash from you.
---
If you fell for it, it isn't cheap. It is just something that works on you. Adapt.. Or curl up in the fetal position, your call.
#20BloodyBoogerPosted 1/18/2013 7:23:41 PM
iPr0kkaFTW posted...
*goes back to playing Planetside 2*

i've played this for about 12 hours so far, it's incredible for a free game. the things you can do, the scale of the environment & battles. there's really nothing else like it.
---
"Purple is a fruit" -Homer Simpson