This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Sony abandon backwards compatibility for PS4?

#11brycemorrPosted 1/19/2013 3:11:05 PM
Backwards Compatabilty will come via Gaikai. That will be the most likely of out comes.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84
#12LuminescentRulePosted 1/19/2013 3:27:41 PM
blackwaltz3 posted...
I just hope PSN purchases are BC, I could not care less about discs

That won't happen either.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#13DemonDog666Posted 1/19/2013 4:05:33 PM
EternalNether posted...
I doubt there will be any possibility of backward compatibility without a Cell processor. While it is possible to make the PS4/Orbis backward compatible it would cost them a fortune, and cost us a fortune, and at this point it's just not worth it.

There's no reason for them not to use the cell processor though, all the issues with it being hard to program for have long been resolved with software and at it's time it was the cheapest you could get pre performance output so I can't imagine it being horrible expensive. Honestly there really is no reason not to use a supped up cell as a processor it'd be cheaper and allow for BC and still run circles around wiiU.
#14Undead_YakuzaPosted 1/19/2013 4:08:16 PM
No, I don't think so.
#15boofiePosted 1/19/2013 4:08:31 PM
If it was backwards compatible that would be the PS4's greatest selling point to me.
#16riddlebox89Posted 1/19/2013 4:08:50 PM
HakuMan111386 posted...
XFactor1 posted...
Probably not possible. The Cell is not used anymore and AMD is doing both the processor and the graphics chip.

PS3 used the cell processor and NVidia chips.

So...what'll become of my backlog and my digital games? o_O What do you think Sony will do? Transfer some things (such as trophies) over to PS4?

What will happen to your backlog and digital games? Simple, don't get rid of your PS3.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#17DefYouthPosted 1/19/2013 4:10:40 PM
LuminescentRule posted...
blackwaltz3 posted...
I just hope PSN purchases are BC, I could not care less about discs

That won't happen either.

That would piss me off.
---
I know that this is vitriol, no solution spleen-venting, but I feel better having screamed, don't you?
#18wstfldPosted 1/19/2013 4:11:22 PM
It would be nice if my downloaded games worked.
---
Last Played: Civ 5 G&K (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civ 5, DmC, SOTC HD
#19Jon_GodPosted 1/19/2013 4:19:43 PM
I hope not, but a fear so.

Logic says probably. The new system wont have a cell processor, making it easier to program for, but in the process, making it unable to play PS3 games.

Meaning, unless they go the early PS3 route (They wont), the only way for it to have BC would be basically to have a PS3 inside the console, which they wont do.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#20Paulf001Posted 1/19/2013 4:20:01 PM
Its very likely that PS4 will use AMD/Radeon combo which is completely different architecture, now they could write some emulator to play PS3 games but it would be end up being glitchey and buggy on a lot of games, with a lot of games needing patches to be compatible.

I doubt that Sony will support bc at all.