This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Sony abandon backwards compatibility for PS4?

#21EternalNetherPosted 1/19/2013 4:48:44 PM
Personally I don't mind much if it's not backwards compatible. Makes the system cheaper, nets Sony more money, and the PS3 will steadily become cheaper over time if anyone still wants one.
#22Jinzo 111887Posted 1/19/2013 8:19:59 PM(edited)
Backwards Compatabilty will come via Gaikai. That will be the most likely of out comes.

Or hackers and homebrew programmers/devs/designers. It's actually possible to connect and play SNES, Genesis, Game Boy (Color/Advance), Turbo Graphx 16, Nintendo 64, Neo Geo Pocket, (and maybe even Virtual Boy) games with a USB cartridge reader called a "Retrode" and plugin adapters, assuming you can get your Wii to run emulators and has the official IOS 58. Sony could lose money to those kinds of people because they don't properly support past customers. If they were smart, they would do backwards compatibility like through a plugin device like the Retrode.

Also, for the short sighted people who say "get a PS2/PS3" for backwards, you don't have to buy the device. It would just be a plugin thing. Also, there are a number of problems with digital/streaming services. Easily lose stuff when it gets taken offline (Second Sight can't be bought anymore), and what happens if you lose your connection because your only option is a crappy one?
---
At least Nintendo and Good Old Games are treating customers right instead of taking them for granted. They provide light during dark times.
#23DemonDog666Posted 1/20/2013 4:03:13 PM
Jinzo 111887 posted...
Backwards Compatabilty will come via Gaikai. That will be the most likely of out comes.

Or hackers and homebrew programmers/devs/designers. It's actually possible to connect and play SNES, Genesis, Game Boy (Color/Advance), Turbo Graphx 16, Nintendo 64, Neo Geo Pocket, (and maybe even Virtual Boy) games with a USB cartridge reader called a "Retrode" and plugin adapters, assuming you can get your Wii to run emulators and has the official IOS 58. Sony could lose money to those kinds of people because they don't properly support past customers. If they were smart, they would do backwards compatibility like through a plugin device like the Retrode.

Also, for the short sighted people who say "get a PS2/PS3" for backwards, you don't have to buy the device. It would just be a plugin thing. Also, there are a number of problems with digital/streaming services. Easily lose stuff when it gets taken offline (Second Sight can't be bought anymore), and what happens if you lose your connection because your only option is a crappy one?

Yes because hackers have done so much for ps3 BC with ps2...
#24ThePuddingManPosted 1/20/2013 4:16:42 PM
Most likely, yes. People here like to say they removed PS2 BC from PS3 because Sony was cutting costs, but Sony has admitted that's not the case. They removed it from PS3 because people were using their PS3 as an expensive PS2 and they weren't going out and buying new PS3 games. To boost PS3 game sells, they removed PS2 BC from PS3. They'll likely do the same with PS4.
#25Manimal_F0r3v3rPosted 1/20/2013 5:06:49 PM
I'm not holding my breath for PS3 BC on the PS4, especially considering that nVidia's not doing PS4 tech. Only hope is that sony is hard at work on software BC. i lol'd at that thought.
---
XBL: ManimalForever PSN: Manimal_Forever
|\/|/\|\|||\/|/\|_ [s.W.o] They see me trollin', they hatin'
#26zender1999Posted 1/20/2013 5:25:30 PM
sony could release a ps3 little box usb add on, with a shrinked cell chip in it, to make the ps4 bc for the people who want it
#27uuarmanPosted 1/20/2013 5:27:52 PM
They'll keep it at first, but then they'll cut it when the PS4 slim comes out. That's when they'll resell ps3 games in super hd.
#28NotCeoPosted 1/20/2013 5:31:56 PM
I doubt it'll have traditional BC. I think BC through Gaikai is pretty likely.

IMO the real question is will whether or not existing PSN purchases could be transferred to Gaikai.
#29KikuichimonjiPosted 1/20/2013 5:33:55 PM
Sony's plan of keeping the PS3 Slim model prices the same for the next couple years probably hints that PS4 won't be included a BC in its initial launch. This way PS3's will still sell to those who still want to play PS3 games when PS4 is on the shelf.
---
There's no point telling stupid people that they're stupid. They're too stupid to know that they're stupid. Wasted effort.
#30JanayBerryPosted 1/20/2013 5:36:51 PM
blackwaltz3 posted...
I just hope PSN purchases are BC, I could not care less about discs

Same here! I have way too much money spent on just gaming content alone (no movies, pics, themes, etc).

It would be a pain to not have all this carry over.
---
PSN ID: Jim_Berry
Xbox 360 Gamertag: KKA OMEGA Jim