This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Sony abandon backwards compatibility for PS4?

#31Shy420Posted 1/20/2013 6:00:29 PM
Uhh Sony has already abandoned backwards compatibility in the PS3 and then realized they could make more money by selling old games on PSN and in HD collections.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#32ORANGE666Posted 1/20/2013 6:20:16 PM(edited)
Depends on the price Sony's aiming at. Including PS3 bc would increase the price of the PS4 by a lot as they would need to include ps3 architecture.
#33rockyoumonkeysPosted 1/21/2013 10:42:51 AM
At this point there's simply no excuse not to have BC.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#34hockeybub89Posted 1/21/2013 11:09:09 AM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
At this point there's simply no excuse not to have BC.

You mean there's no excuse TO have it because there really isn't. They would just wind up removing it anyway. Gaikai is the only hope for BC. There's a snowball's chance in hell that they will include PS3 architecture inside launch PS4s. Everyone's overselling the importance of BC.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#35castrejon04Posted 1/21/2013 11:13:23 AM
If they add PS3 compatibility, the PS4 would have to be bigger in order to squeeze in the cell processor and graphics card.

They should just stick with PSX backwards compability and maybe PS2 if they can really shrink down the hardware.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#36Kazuya_80Posted 1/21/2013 11:19:54 AM(edited)
It will be probably be compatable with PS1 and PS2, PS3 would be hardware or Gaikai or no BC.
#37bob15xPosted 1/21/2013 12:37:33 PM
I think annoyedgamer has it correct. ps1,2,3 will be streamed via the service tehy just bought. That will be there "xbox live subscription" type plan.

So pay $50 a year and stream any ps1 and ps2 game, eventually ps3 once that system is done.
#38dankanefanPosted 1/21/2013 12:51:37 PM
I think abandoning BC creates a "I'll wait for a massive price drop" mentality for a lot of consumers. It was this way with the PS3. Once the price started coming down, I had a LOT of friends and family members asking me about the PS3 and BC was ALWAYS something they brought up. I had to tell them, "Yeah well the price is coming down but they took out BC." They would all respond, "Well, that sucks, I'll wait until another $100 price cut or so."

In other words, if Sony wants to cut BC, they have to realize that it'll eat into a HUGE chunk of that early adopter customer base.
---
www.saccitygamer.wordpress.com (My Gaming Blog)
@SacCityGamer ~ www.facebook.com/SacCityGamer
#39rschrake86Posted 1/21/2013 12:53:27 PM
Ummm.... They ALREADY abandoned it with the PS3.
---
~HTTR~
#40zender1999Posted 1/21/2013 12:58:35 PM
dankanefan posted...
I think abandoning BC creates a "I'll wait for a massive price drop" mentality for a lot of consumers. It was this way with the PS3. Once the price started coming down, I had a LOT of friends and family members asking me about the PS3 and BC was ALWAYS something they brought up. I had to tell them, "Yeah well the price is coming down but they took out BC." They would all respond, "Well, that sucks, I'll wait until another $100 price cut or so."

In other words, if Sony wants to cut BC, they have to realize that it'll eat into a HUGE chunk of that early adopter customer base.

unless they launch the ps4 at a good price maybe like 299, i know its almost impossibile but who knows it could happen