This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Guns or Games? Which would you choose to go?

#11Devilman_AmonPosted 1/19/2013 2:33:12 PM
Undead_Yakuza posted...
Firearms are banned in my country (Denmark) and we have almost next to zero gun violence and killings because of it. So I would ban the guns.

The difference is Denmark was never a country born out of voilence through use of guns, so thye never established a feverish gun culture and a pervasive obsession over guns.

It's just like how there's no drinking age limit in France and yet you don't see as much alchohol abuse there as you do in the U.S. with kids because it's so "rebellious" to drink under age.

People in the U.S. will go nuts if guns were to be banned because the gun culture is part of this country since the dawn of it and many rednecks have nothing else to do while the gun companies and NRA make a killing off of them.
Itd be the equivalent of trying to erase smoking or get rid of gas.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#12ThAce6Posted 1/19/2013 2:33:18 PM
I would ban neither.
---
PSN: Anemptybox
#13MourningReignsPosted 1/19/2013 2:34:23 PM
calhoun1389 posted...
Games. Easily. They aren't there for anything but entertainment while guns can help a 90lbs woman defend herself from a 240lbs would-be-rapist or a family from a home invader.

Games can do the same thing.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#14Undead_YakuzaPosted 1/19/2013 2:36:39 PM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
If I had to choose, games of course.

Banning guns won't stop gun violence. Only an idiot would think that way.

Do these things:
1) Look at countries where citizens aren't allowed to be in possession of firearms.
2) Look at their gun violence statistics.
3) TRY to argue that a gun ban wouldn't reduce gun violence.
#15Devilman_AmonPosted 1/19/2013 2:37:05 PM
MourningReigns posted...
calhoun1389 posted...
Games. Easily. They aren't there for anything but entertainment while guns can help a 90lbs woman defend herself from a 240lbs would-be-rapist or a family from a home invader.

Games can do the same thing.

I think I read once some of the Japanese allow the spread of pervasive PC games as an 'outlet' deterrent for would be sex offenders. You have many of those fans often proudly claiming "2D women are > than real women" so perhaps there's some truth to it....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#16Godly_GoofPosted 1/19/2013 2:37:07 PM
Neither.

And frankly I'm a he'll of a lot more terrified of what you can do with household products than I am of guns :/

Theirs a reason I store ammonia and bleach as far away from one another as possible >.>
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#17Devilman_AmonPosted 1/19/2013 2:38:49 PM
Undead_Yakuza posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

Do these things:
1) Look at countries where citizens aren't allowed to be in possession of firearms.

You're right but the problem is the U.S. is too far gone in their obsession over guns for you to take them away without them going insane about it and possibly trying to spark a small civil war out of idiocy.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#18Godly_GoofPosted 1/19/2013 2:39:20 PM
Undead_Yakuza posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

Do these things:

And increase stabbings, beatings, etc. >.>

The logic that banning guns reduces violence is truly moronic. They'll just find another method to use instead.
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#19Undead_YakuzaPosted 1/19/2013 2:39:23 PM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

It'd be a start

Maybe banning violent video games would be the correct start?

Remember, banning guns just removes the legal way to obtain the guns. You can't pick up cocaine and heroine at Walgreens or CVS, but they are readily available among the drug community. So let's take the guns out of the hands of the home owners and let them remain in the hands of the dope fiends. And with that knowledge of home owners only being able to protect themselves with a kitchen knife or sauce pan, commence the home robbery.

And once we are done banning violent video games, we should ban violent music, films and books. Yeah, that sounds about right.
#20OEIO999Posted 1/19/2013 2:40:43 PM(edited)
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

It'd be a start

Maybe banning violent video games would be the correct start?

Remember, banning guns just removes the legal way to obtain the guns. You can't pick up cocaine and heroine at Walgreens or CVS, but they are readily available among the drug community. So let's take the guns out of the hands of the home owners and let them remain in the hands of the dope fiends. And with that knowledge of home owners only being able to protect themselves with a kitchen knife or sauce pan, commence the home robbery.

Except games aren't directly influencing violence, its being used as a scapegoat, unlike guns which are the implementation of destruction themselves

Instead of attempting to remove guns entirely, maybe include stricter laws with Gun handling, specifically targeting those who obtain them through illegal means, also direct justice given to those found with said guns, not just a 'slap on the back'. And prefferably limit the types of guns being available to just a Pistol