This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Guns or Games? Which would you choose to go?

#221zUkUuPosted 1/19/2013 10:10:51 PM
Lefty128k posted...
wstfld posted...
Undead_Yakuza posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
If I had to choose, games of course.

Banning guns won't stop gun violence. Only an idiot would think that way.

Do these things:
1) Look at countries where citizens aren't allowed to be in possession of firearms.
2) Look at their gun violence statistics.
3) TRY to argue that a gun ban wouldn't reduce gun violence.

America has the most gun freedom of any country.

Mexico has a total gun ban on citizens.
It is virtually impossible to get a gun permit in Brazil.
Colombia is more or less stricter than NY city.
Indonesia is strict gun control.
Russia can only have smooth-bore firearms initially.
Venezuela, no private gun ownership.
South Africa, 2 year wait for permit processing.
More or less same for Congo and Ethiopia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

US total murders, 12k

Mexico, 25k
Brazil, 40k
Colombia, 15k
Indonesia, 18k
Russia, 14k
Venezuela, 13k
South Africa, 15k
Congo, 13k
Ethiopia, 20k

America has way more people than any of these countries one on one, but less murder.

America has more guns per citizen than any of these countries one on one, but less murder.

All the countries combined have roughly twice the US population. They total 173,000 gun murders vs Americas 12,000. Even if you double Americas murder rate to match their doubled population, you still get 173,000 vs 24,000.

How about the UK? Worse violent crime rate than the US, less gun rights.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25671/Violent-crime-worse-Britain-US.html

It's a fact, more guns...less crime.

Why are you comparing the US to third world countries and war zones? I think Canada, Australia and the UK would be more apt comparisons. They are rich white countries that share the same culture origins.

The comparison are relevant to the post I quoted. Also, I directly linked to a US/UK comparison. UK has way more violent crime.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri-crime-total-crimes

US population 315,000,000 Crimes 12,000,000
UK population 63,000,000 Crimes 6,500,000
Geman population 82,000,000 Crimes 6,500,000
Canada population 35,000,000 Crimes 2,500,000

As pointed out on the website itself....you do the math. Let's see if you know how to tell which country has the highest crime rate.

hint: the US has more than triple the population of any of these other countries.

that is irrelevant comparison. compare "murder" and/or "shooting victims" please.
#222Devilman_AmonPosted 1/19/2013 10:11:28 PM
theshoveller posted...
Neither - I'd increase awareness and cash flow to mental health programs, as they're the real culprits. Quick quiz - who can name, without looking it up online, three different forms of schizophrenia?

What about the negligent parenting and prescription drug pushers?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#223LordcrabfoodPosted 1/19/2013 10:16:46 PM
DevilTears604 posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
DevilTears604 posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
Just ban Americans, problem solved.

Aw c'mon, we're not all bad...

Well maybe not, but the impression some of you give to the rest of the world is not very positive. Just how many mass shootings does it take for some of you idiots to realise things have to change? Its time to put personal agendas aside and the ridiculous fixation that americans have with guns.

Well yeah, you're right. I feel that exact way about our health care system. We're the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't use the socialized health care system; and consequently, we're the only country in the world with people who have to file bankruptcy because they can't pay their medical bills. To me, that seems like a straight-line, A to B, scenario.

The gun issue is a little tougher to deal with than that, but I think that has more to do with the psychological mindset of America as a whole. We tend to worship violence and death to a degree, and just flat eliminating guns, or games, or violent media, or even stuff like football, won't automatically solve the problem. Something has to change in the soul of America itself for progress to be made.

I agree 100%, banning guns by itself will not solve the problem but it is a step in the right direction. How about those advocating the availability of guns go round to the parents of a six year old child and tell them the child was gunned down. It has to begin with education and more recognition and action on mental conditions.
#224Devilman_AmonPosted 1/19/2013 10:16:54 PM
theshoveller posted...
cmc140 posted...
Ban guns and games and everything else think demolition man. Btw I would be living in under part of the city though.

Oh, ****. You mean I have to learn how to use the three shells? And I won't be able to eat Jello sitting around my house naked because it's hot and I just said "**** it?"

Theshoveller you are fined two credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#225Unbridled9Posted 1/19/2013 10:17:15 PM
I'd ban games. At least action-based shooters with a heavy focus on 'realism' that use cover systems and offer little originality in their design or story. AKA. CoD clones at the LEAST!

I don't like the 'cutesy' games and they are FAR from immune from being cloned, but I kinda feel games in general need a slap to get them out of the 'CoD hyper-realism' phase. Last year one of the better games I played was Edge which had me controlling a freaking CUBE! No shooting, no real violence, no hyper-graphics, not even a NAME... And it was better than a lot of games I played.
---
Math with Vi!
My 2 fists - 1 of your face = 1 dead foe.
#226gamestop27Posted 1/19/2013 10:17:26 PM
Since I don't own a gun and prefer swords. The guns can go.
---
Evolution is not true, I've had a dog for 14 years and its still a dog no change into a cat.~XTrEaMkILlA227
#227Lefty128kPosted 1/19/2013 10:17:58 PM
Dredj posted...
I'm from England, so... ban the guns, doesn't effect me.

I don't have to worry about defending my home with a gun, because the person breaking in won't have a gun. Logic that seems amiss in America.

The UK gun ban affected you all very badly. After they took your guns they are now taking your free speech.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20104567/in-uk-twitter-facebook-rants-land-some-in-jail

One teenager made offensive comments about a murdered child on Twitter. Another young man wrote on Facebook that British soldiers should "go to hell." A third posted a picture of a burning paper poppy, symbol of remembrance of war dead.

All were arrested, two convicted, and one jailed and they're not the only ones. In Britain, hundreds of people are prosecuted each year for posts, tweets, texts and emails deemed menacing, indecent, offensive or obscene, and the number is growing as our online lives expand.

Now, I don't agree with everything said by these people. But most of this would be free speech in the USA. I mean seriously, arrested for burning what amounts to an origami plant.

Care to guess what they take after your guns and your speech?

BTW, your "logic" is flawed.

UK gun crime rises 35%.
http://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/15/gun-crime-soars-in-england-by-35-where-guns-are-banned/

How's that ban working out?
#228synthetiksinPosted 1/19/2013 10:21:39 PM
Games, if I really had to choose one, which is a dumb ultimatum anyway.

Gun violence is only stupid in some countries. There are countries that have lax gun laws but low rates of crime involving guns. It's just some countries like America where with so much people, the margin with stupid people will have them.
#229theshovellerPosted 1/19/2013 10:23:31 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
theshoveller posted...
Neither - I'd increase awareness and cash flow to mental health programs, as they're the real culprits. Quick quiz - who can name, without looking it up online, three different forms of schizophrenia?

What about the negligent parenting and prescription drug pushers?

Negligent parenting, that's kinda self-explanatory who's to blame for that one - the parent who's negligent. Prescription drug pushers, that's one of two things, or a combination of the two - the patient and the doctor. The patient needs to be up-front with the doctor regarding the effects of the drugs on their body, and truthful. The doctor needs to not overmedicate the patient to the point where they're not able to fully function.

I work in a mental health program, myself, and one big thing they push is this thing called "personal medicine." Basically, the concept is less prescription drugs, more actual "things" to get you to feel better and deal with your symptoms so you're not strung out on haldol like some sort of "living zombie." If your symptoms are minimal on a low dose of an anti-psychotic, but you still hear voices from time to time, then do your "personal medicine" to cope with the voices and possibly make them stop - pet your cat, read a book, take a cold shower, or go for a walk around the block.

The problem with that is not everyone wants to go for a walk when they hear voices to quiet them down - they just want to "take a pill that cures them." There is no "cure" for it. It's not a cold, or an infection, or a cut or scrape that just "fixes" itself over time. So, patients insist sometimes on taking more meds. Doctors insist on them taking more meds if they won't find something to keep them from becoming increasingly symptomatic and unable to function. And, of course, there are the few corrupt doctors and patients out there - nothing's free from corruption in some form.
#230Lefty128kPosted 1/19/2013 10:24:07 PM
Damien94 posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
If I had to choose, games of course.

Banning guns won't stop gun violence. Only an idiot would think that way.

This moronic way of thinking has been disproven by many countries. The countries with bans or highly strict gun laws have extremely low levels of violence.

Nope, the opposite in fact. And I proved as much with these things called numbers and references.