This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Guns or Games? Which would you choose to go?

#431Devilman_AmonPosted 1/20/2013 9:38:06 PM(edited)
Lefty128k posted...
zyrax2301 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
Point is, without guns the weapon is switched. Banning guns doesn't lower violent crime, it just alters it. The one thing it does do is ensure that good people don't have guns.

A psycho with a knife is nowhere near as dangerous as one with a rifle. A person can stand up to a knife, or a crowbar, or a bat. If they're looking down the barrel of a gun at range defense goes out the window. A trigger finger doesn't get tired either.

You simply don't know how bad it could be with a knife.

Most people cannot stand up to those weapons, most people don't have that kind of training or mindset.

If they are looking down the barrel of a gun, then the best defense is......a gun of their own.

Like stated earlier, the same day the Lanza shooting occured, in China, a man stabbed 22 kids.

none of those kids died.

I guess they are all Shaolin kung fu masters

Like I said before, simply owning a gun does not automatically give you the training and the mindset to handle crisis situations under stress and in a surprise element.
Cops and military men can attess to this. It takes months if not years of continuous training.
And with a gun, there is the issue of friendly fire in chaotic situation.

You are really being incredibly stupid now....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#432Pato468Posted 1/20/2013 9:41:53 PM
You shouldn`t BAN either, but there should be checks and controls, you can`t just sell a gun to anybody. Games don`t affect kids if they have responsible parents monitoring them. If they don`t , they have bigger problems than playing Halo and seeing monsters die.

True, a gun can help a 90 lb woman defend herself from a 200 lb rapists...a gun can also allow said rapist to effectively dominate that woman or those that would come to her aid.
#433Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 9:42:23 PM
SieKensou posted...
Lefty128k posted...
Point is, without guns the weapon is switched. Banning guns doesn't lower violent crime, it just alters it. The one thing it does do is ensure that good people don't have guns.

reduced damage. you didn't fully read my post.

Why do you keep bringing up stress?

you brought up mental illness.

You said that the movie patrons didn't need guns if there was security.
People get attacked outside of theaters as well.
Therefore the government would have to provide 24/7/365 security.
What is the plan to provide that for 300,000,000+ people?

The other option is to just obey the Second amendment and let good people stay armed.

guns aren't the only way to disarm an opponent. and good security can protect civilians. good emergency response units can further aid.

Reduce damage? Knives have killed plenty. Wars used to be conducted with swords and knives so their lethality is well established.

Yup, I did bring up mental illness. How does that explain why you keep bringing up stress?

Good security might or might not be able to protect citizens, but unless you can provide that 24/7 then people need a way to deal with attackers themselves and that also means armed attackers. People get attacked outside of theaters, at their homes, out shopping, randomly taking a walk and millions of other circumstances.

So what's the plan for handling that?

What's the plan for providing 24/7 security for 300,000,000+ people?
#434Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 9:46:50 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Lefty128k posted...

Easy access? He stole the guns.

He always had full access to them because his mom was a n idiot. He took them out of the house without her permission of course but he never had to do much to 'steal' them since she practically let him have access to them at all times in the house

You have no proof that the guns were not secured.
If they were taken without permission, that is theft...period.

Off the deep into, and sinking fast.

BTW, you never explained how me accusing Lanza of crimes is defending him.

Lefty128k posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
Lefty128k posted...

Adam Lanza stole the guns and shot his mother in the face, two criminal acts before he even got to the school.

Stop defending this guy to further your gun fetish agenda. His intention was to shoot his mom and go to the school; it was all one plan. You can't really 'steal' what you have free access to.
Those guns should have never been in the house and his mom should have had him committed years ago.

How is accusing him of crimes defending him?

You have gone of the deep end, Bud.
#435hockeybub89Posted 1/20/2013 9:48:10 PM
Banning guns in the US would not stop murders because we are simply a violent (and strong-willed) people. "No guns = no murder" simply would not translate as well as it does in other countries. The combination of our nature and our terrible mental health treatment would keep the country pretty much as violent as it is.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#436Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 9:49:04 PM
jrr18 posted...
So if haveing a gun with you at all times is needed to stop people from trying to mug/kill/harm you then how does the USA explain the rest of the developed nations haveing lower crime being in general a safer place to live? Fact you don't need guns unless there's a zombie outbrake.

They don't, and they aren't.

Read the whole topic, proof has been posted multiple times.
#437jrr18Posted 1/20/2013 9:52:23 PM
Lefty128k posted...
jrr18 posted...
So if haveing a gun with you at all times is needed to stop people from trying to mug/kill/harm you then how does the USA explain the rest of the developed nations haveing lower crime being in general a safer place to live? Fact you don't need guns unless there's a zombie outbrake.

I forgot an and in there and Canada has lower murder and violent crime rate's then the USA so boom and no there's to many redundent post's in there. Canada the true world leader's in freedom!
---
Victory over the 2013 Capcom the game demon through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#438Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 10:06:31 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Lefty128k posted...
zyrax2301 posted...
Lefty128k posted...

A psycho with a knife is nowhere near as dangerous as one with a rifle. A person can stand up to a knife, or a crowbar, or a bat. If they're looking down the barrel of a gun at range defense goes out the window. A trigger finger doesn't get tired either.

You simply don't know how bad it could be with a knife.

Most people cannot stand up to those weapons, most people don't have that kind of training or mindset.

If they are looking down the barrel of a gun, then the best defense is......a gun of their own.

Like stated earlier, the same day the Lanza shooting occured, in China, a man stabbed 22 kids.

none of those kids died.

I guess they are all Shaolin kung fu masters

Like I said before, simply owning a gun does not automatically give you the training and the mindset to handle crisis situations under stress and in a surprise element.
Cops and military men can attess to this. It takes months if not years of continuous training.
And with a gun, there is the issue of friendly fire in chaotic situation.

You are really being incredibly stupid now....

Yup, those 22 untrained children couldn't defend themselves against a knife wielding attacker. Just like I said in my prior posts.

That's racist...period.

Months and years of training? Connecticut Police get academy training and then only practice 2-3 hours a year on the shooting range. They certainly do not get training year in and out.

page 4
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/Training-Obsolescence.pdf

I really wish I could prove this with a reference, but cops make more "bad shoots" than regular citizens. Feel free to not believe that.

But remember that NY cops shot 9 innocent bystanders last year, friendly fire.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/25/empire-state-building-shooting-nypd-bullets-shot-all-nine_n_1830007.html

Can you find as many for normal citizens who were shooting at a bad guy and hit an bystander instead? 9 of them.

If training to handle stress worked PTSD wouldn't exist within the military.

Sounds like you're getting a little stressed, resorting to insults and all.
#439Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 10:08:21 PM
jrr18 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
jrr18 posted...

I forgot an and in there and Canada has lower murder and violent crime rate's then the USA so boom and no there's to many redundent post's in there. Canada the true world leader's in freedom!

I already covered Canada too. It's overall crime rate is twice the US.
#440jrr18Posted 1/20/2013 10:09:56 PM
Lefty128k posted...
jrr18 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
jrr18 posted...

I already covered Canada too. It's overall crime rate is twice the US.

Violent crime or petty crime?
---
Victory over the 2013 Capcom the game demon through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101