This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Guns or Games? Which would you choose to go?

#441Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 9:11:02 PM
Pato468 posted...
You shouldn`t BAN either, but there should be checks and controls, you can`t just sell a gun to anybody. Games don`t affect kids if they have responsible parents monitoring them. If they don`t , they have bigger problems than playing Halo and seeing monsters die.

True, a gun can help a 90 lb woman defend herself from a 200 lb rapists...a gun can also allow said rapist to effectively dominate that woman or those that would come to her aid.

Well, if the rapist has a gun then all the more reason the woman should have one too.
#442Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 9:12:06 PM
jrr18 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
jrr18 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
jrr18 posted...
So if haveing a gun with you at all times is needed to stop people from trying to mug/kill/harm you then how does the USA explain the rest of the developed nations haveing lower crime being in general a safer place to live? Fact you don't need guns unless there's a zombie outbrake.

They don't, and they aren't.

Read the whole topic, proof has been posted multiple times.

I forgot an and in there and Canada has lower murder and violent crime rate's then the USA so boom and no there's to many redundent post's in there. Canada the true world leader's in freedom!

I already covered Canada too. It's overall crime rate is twice the US.

Violent crime or petty crime?

Total crime, IIRC. Definitely not just petty crime. Again it's all posted.
#443jrr18Posted 1/20/2013 9:13:58 PM
^OK just looked it up but the USA still leads in homicide which was my main point.
---
Victory over the 2013 Capcom the game demon through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#444theshovellerPosted 1/20/2013 9:14:44 PM
hockeybub89 posted...
Banning guns in the US would not stop murders because we are simply a violent (and strong-willed) people. "No guns = no murder" simply would not translate as well as it does in other countries. The combination of our nature and our terrible mental health treatment would keep the country pretty much as violent as it is.

Basically. It's instilled in people here. Our history, all two-hundred-and-thirty-some years of it, are steeped in people fighting for their rights. First, we fought for taxation with representation. Then, we fought for freedom because they wouldn't let us speak on our taxes. Then, we fought for keeping our nation together, or for our own rights as states (depending on how you look at the Civil War.) Then, we fought for equality among the sexes, then among the races. While we were doing that, we fought for the oppressed overseas. Now... we pretty much are fighting for ourselves, sadly. There's no "great calling" for the people in the country to unite for or against.

That's just my take on it, though. My little interpretation of it.
#445Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 9:15:08 PM
jrr18 posted...
^OK just looked it up but the USA still leads in homicide which was my main point.

Total homicide or per capita homicide?
#446jrr18Posted 1/20/2013 9:19:44 PM
Lefty128k posted...
jrr18 posted...

Good question the source I looked at didn't say.
---
Victory over the 2013 Capcom the game demon through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#447SieKensouPosted 1/20/2013 9:37:27 PM(edited)
Lefty128k posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
Like stated earlier, the same day the Lanza shooting occured, in China, a man stabbed 22 kids.

none of those kids died.

I guess they are all Shaolin kung fu masters

Like I said before, simply owning a gun does not automatically give you the training and the mindset to handle crisis situations under stress and in a surprise element.
Cops and military men can attess to this. It takes months if not years of continuous training.
And with a gun, there is the issue of friendly fire in chaotic situation.

You are really being incredibly stupid now....

Yup, those 22 untrained children couldn't defend themselves against a knife wielding attacker. Just like I said in my prior posts.

and about training required for handling these specific situations?
Cops and military will tell you it takes weeks and months of continuous training to be able to be ready for situations like that. Even with a month off, they say you lose it and it takes a while to get back. All of this was explained in that mocumentary.
Just because you own a gun doesn't make you an expert in handling crisis situations because you learned how to fire one on a shooting range herp derp. You need actual specific training for that and continuous training to stay frosty.

Lefty128k posted...
You have no proof that the guns were not secured.
If they were taken without permission, that is theft...period.

SieKensou posted...
shot her with her guns...... ok.. if she didn't have the guns, he wouldn't be able to shoot her with her nonexistant guns

and about stress?
quoting myself again:
and as i said earlier...
being on high alert 24/7 makes you overstress easier.
being easily overstressed will make you have a high chance of mental illness.

have a read.
http://archive.calbar.ca.gov/calbar/2cbj/00nov/mclestdy.htm
The symptoms of chronic stress include inappropriate anger or impatience, overreaction to minor problems, anxiety, fear, irritability or resentment. People under stress overload may be unable to concentrate, to make decisions or to think clearly. They may be constantly active, yet accomplish little. Severe emotional distress symptoms include erratic behavior, sexual difficulties, phobic anxiety and depression which may lead to suicide.

The tragic result is that only a small percentage of those individuals who need help with a chemical dependency problem are aware of their need; accordingly, few seek help voluntarily. Without help, however, the disease can progress to fatal complications or insanity.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#448Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 9:37:29 PM
SieKensou posted...
and about stress?
quoting myself again:
and as i said earlier...

You can make all the quotes you want.

Fact is you just brought up stress out of the blue and didn't explain why. Saying it's related to mental illness explains how it might be relevant, but doesn't explain why you brought it up in the first place.
#449Lefty128kPosted 1/20/2013 9:38:42 PM(edited)
jrr18 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
jrr18 posted...

Good question the source I looked at didn't say.

Yup, well shouldn't you go find out?

Feel free to link to the source while your at it.
#450SieKensouPosted 1/20/2013 9:43:31 PM(edited)
Lefty128k posted...
SieKensou posted...
and about stress?
quoting myself again:
and as i said earlier...

You can make all the quotes you want.

Fact is you just brought up stress out of the blue and didn't explain why. Saying it's related to mental illness explains how it might be relevant, but doesn't explain why you brought it up in the first place.

you say mental illness is the sole cause.
i say being on high alert 24/7 causes overstress which in turn causes mental illness...

if everyone around me was carrying a gun, i would be terrified of making any mistake or angering anyone if even by accident. since i don't know if i will be the trigger for them to snap. if they snap and are carrying, will they shoot me and/or go on a shooting spree at that location?... how can i be certain that they won't? if they shoot and i have a gun, what are the chances there won't be strays? what are the chances that i will pull the gun before that person? what are the chances another person won't see the situation as i am not a killer? what are the chances i won't cause a big gunfight? how can i be certain of these odds?... with all of this in mind.... what room do i have to handle regular everyday stresses?
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462