This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Guns or Games? Which would you choose to go?

#61wstfldPosted 1/19/2013 4:27:13 PM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...
If I had to choose, games of course.

Banning guns won't stop gun violence. Only an idiot would think that way.

Guns are banned in Japan and Denmark, and gun violence in those two countries is almost non-existant.

They just switched to samurai swords and viking axes.
---
Last Played: Civ 5 G&K (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civ 5, DmC, SOTC HD
#62DemonXCasePosted 1/19/2013 4:27:28 PM
Neither...I've never shot anyone & I own guns & violent games...don't steal my freedom & trample on my rights because of the actions of others.
---
Pray for Death.....
#63KneelBeforeLokiPosted 1/19/2013 4:30:31 PM
I'd ban guns but accidentally voted for games :(
---
Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid 4, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Wii U), NSMBU, ZombiU, Nintendo Land, Mortal Komabat (2011), Borderlands, Red Steel 2
#64Devilman_AmonPosted 1/19/2013 4:32:04 PM
wstfld posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

Guns are banned in Japan and Denmark, and gun violence in those two countries is almost non-existant.

They just switched to samurai swords and viking axes.

You can't walk around with one in public. They must be confined to the home or a studio
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#65LtMessiahDM504Posted 1/19/2013 4:36:40 PM
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

I get what your saying, but its just mass generalizations by you. Just like your comments about americans wearing jean overalls, all gun owners being rednecks, gun owners only own guns for the wow factor, and now gun owners only 'think' they are normal. I have guns to protect mine (family).

When I said that, I was really specifying the extremely vocal and dangerous nutjobs that are throwning out "you'll see a civil war uprising like 1776 if you take our guns" paranoia out there and many of them happen to be yes rednecks...
If you think I'm trying to paint you as one then thats an issue you have with yourself (if you consider yourself a redneck). I dont know who you are so thats on you. If you're not then fine no problem then

Are you married? Got kids?

I get that you want to protect your family. That's obviously a first priority and commendable thing. Everyone gets that. But no one wants to take that away from you. There are people that cling to that excuse that own 50 guns in their homes. Not the one handgun that you own. No one is talking about people like you.
Just the excessive assault rifles that aren't needed and also more importantly, stricter background checks to try to lessen the ease of morons accessing them.

The way you word things doesn't point to the extreme gun advocate population. It seemed more aimed at americans as a whole. I am not taking it as you saying I am a redneck, but your wording was basically that anyone who owns a gun is a redneck. Reread it for yourself.

Owning 50 guns and owning 10 isn't much different. Chances are you only need 1. I agree assault weapons, semi-auto or not, don't belong in civilian hands. Hunting rifles, hunting shotguns, and pistols aren't nearly as bad. But when you say ban guns, you aren't adding in there 'assault rifle'. Banned guns means all guns. Banned assault rifles means leaving pistols in the hands of home owners.

Anyway, I agree. Background checks need to take much longer and be extensive. This isn't a job at walmart, it's the right to take someone's life. It should be given to people who are mentally stable and have rational thinking.
#66LtMessiahDM504Posted 1/19/2013 4:40:06 PM
Only an overly patriotic, military obsessed, inbred redneck would choose to ban games over guns.

I choose to protect my family over playing hitman 5. That being said, your ignorant generalization earned you a spot on the ignore list.

LtMessiahDM504 posted...

It's already been discussed on the first page I think. Not extensively, but you can't JUST take into account the fact those two countries have guns banned. Lots more go into play. Think of how different Japan is from the US. Is it just because the normal populace doesn't own firearms?
#67Lefty128kPosted 1/19/2013 5:00:28 PM(edited)
Undead_Yakuza posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

Do these things:
1) Look at countries where citizens aren't allowed to be in possession of firearms.
2) Look at their gun violence statistics.
3) TRY to argue that a gun ban wouldn't reduce gun violence.

America has the most gun freedom of any country.

Mexico has a total gun ban on citizens.
It is virtually impossible to get a gun permit in Brazil.
Colombia is more or less stricter than NY city.
Indonesia is strict gun control.
Russia can only have smooth-bore firearms initially.
Venezuela, no private gun ownership.
South Africa, 2 year wait for permit processing.
More or less same for Congo and Ethiopia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

US total murders, 12k

Mexico, 25k
Brazil, 40k
Colombia, 15k
Indonesia, 18k
Russia, 14k
Venezuela, 13k
South Africa, 15k
Congo, 13k
Ethiopia, 20k

America has way more people than any of these countries one on one, but less murder.

America has more guns per citizen than any of these countries one on one, but less murder.

All the countries combined have roughly twice the US population. They total 173,000 gun murders vs Americas 12,000. Even if you double Americas murder rate to match their doubled population, you still get 173,000 vs 24,000.

How about the UK? Worse violent crime rate than the US, less gun rights.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25671/Violent-crime-worse-Britain-US.html

It's a fact, more guns...less crime.
#68SoleilArclionPosted 1/19/2013 4:56:08 PM
I would ban Gamefaqs. World peace attained.
#69Lefty128kPosted 1/19/2013 4:59:07 PM
kingrat2314 posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

Japanese crime rates have nothing to do with gun bans. The Japanese criminal Justice system is torturous and has been condemned as inhumane by rights organizations and IIRC even the UN itself. The police can torture a confession out of you and the prosecutors can use it in court.

To put it simply, Japanese people are afraid of being tortured by the police. That's why they don't commit as many crimes. Even if they are innocent they can get convicted.

BTW, I am Japanese. So this isn't some American attack on Japan or anything. This stuff is true, feel free to research it for yourself.
#70LtMessiahDM504Posted 1/19/2013 5:14:59 PM
kingrat2314 posted...
LtMessiahDM504 posted...

Japanese crime rates have nothing to do with gun bans. The Japanese criminal Justice system is torturous and has been condemned as inhumane by rights organizations and IIRC even the UN itself. The police can torture a confession out of you and the prosecutors can use it in court.

To put it simply, Japanese people are afraid of being tortured by the police. That's why they don't commit as many crimes. Even if they are innocent they can get convicted.

BTW, I am Japanese. So this isn't some American attack on Japan or anything. This stuff is true, feel free to research it for yourself.

I can't say I am for torturing people into confessions, but as far as rapists, murderers, and child molesters, I believe punishment should go beyond the death penalty. Lifelong incarceration isn't enough to deter people from attempting those crimes. Hell, jail is sometimes better living conditions than they are used to.

Rapists and child molesters deserve much MUCH more than life sentences or even public execution. People are sickening.