This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

so....i like DmC...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. so....i like DmC...
3 years ago#11
DMC4's copypaste for Dante was sinful but not warrant enough for a reboot that didn't live up to the name.

DmC is a 6. Had it been its own game, 7+ easy.

And also, going in with low expectations makes an internment camp bearable.
3 years ago#12
Devilman_Amon posted...
Retroxgamer0 posted...
the gameplay is much like the other devil may cry games, but they incorporated angel and demon blades into the equation which leads to more comboing potential, and they streamlined the upgrading system and gave you more things to upgrade. they also made the items less confusing by just giving you color coded orbs that do stuff such as resurrect or restore health. they clearly tell you how the system works, and what exactly affects your overall score per mission, unlike devil may cry 1-4 which leave you doing some guess work or researching for yourself.

Items were never confusing for me though.

All you're saying is they casualized the experience for noobs.

Also you're wrong about the combo potential. Watch any combo video comparison on YT to see why

You're still leaving out the framerate thats been cut in half, the many major glitches in the game (do a search for "glitch" on the DmC board), the lack of manual lock on, the choppier animations that seem to have a delay, the enemies that can only be killed with one type of weapon thus limiting custom combo potential and worse drops in framerate and screen tearing than the previous games.

While the framerate may be lower than other versions of the game, it never impedes your ability to play it, the gameplay is still very fast paced and responsive. I've never gotten killed because of lag or anything like that. So the framerate is not even something worth mentioning. And not once throughout the game have I ever regretted not having a lockon feature. I've always hit the enemies that I've meant to hit, even if they're mixed in with other enemies so that's also a non-issue.
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
3 years ago#13
I like it too TC!
3 years ago#14
Crimson Skys posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
Retroxgamer0 posted...
the gameplay is much like the other devil may cry games, but they incorporated angel and demon blades into the equation which leads to more comboing potential, and they streamlined the upgrading system and gave you more things to upgrade. they also made the items less confusing by just giving you color coded orbs that do stuff such as resurrect or restore health. they clearly tell you how the system works, and what exactly affects your overall score per mission, unlike devil may cry 1-4 which leave you doing some guess work or researching for yourself.

Also you're wrong about the combo potential. Watch any combo video comparison on YT to see why

You're still leaving out the framerate thats been cut in half, the many major glitches in the game (do a search for "glitch" on the DmC board), the lack of manual lock on, the choppier animations that seem to have a delay, the enemies that can only be killed with one type of weapon thus limiting custom combo potential and worse drops in framerate and screen tearing than the previous games.

While the framerate may be lower than other versions of the game, it never impedes your ability to play it, the gameplay is still very fast paced and responsive. I've never gotten killed because of lag or anything like that. So the framerate is not even something worth mentioning. And not once throughout the game have I ever regretted not having a lockon feature. I've always hit the enemies that I've meant to hit, even if they're mixed in with other enemies so that's also a non-issue.

And I never died playing Fist of the North Star but its a welcome addition to gameplay when the sequel doubles the framerate where by the demo I can instantly feel a difference.

And removing lock on option makes no sense. It's a viable option. Removing it only makes the game thart much more an inferiority to it's predecessors. It lessens the ability to have more customizing options of movement in your free flowing comboing gameplay.
When I'm playing an action game or a fighting game, I don't want the computer telling me where and when I should shoot or strike. That's ******* stupid. It might as well be a QTE then. I want that ability so I can actively create my own path 100% of the time on the fly. Removing it made zero sense.

You also ignored the glitches which are an issue regardless of whether you experienced some or not.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
3 years ago#15
Devilman_Amon posted...
Crimson Skys posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
Retroxgamer0 posted...

And I never died playing Fist of the North Star but its a welcome addition to gameplay when the sequel doubles the framerate where by the demo I can instantly feel a difference.

And removing lock on option makes no sense. It's a viable option. Removing it only makes the game thart much more an inferiority to it's predecessors. It lessens the ability to have more customizing options of movement in your free flowing comboing gameplay.

You also ignored the glitches which are an issue regardless of whether you experienced some or not.

Well like I said, I've never had an issue with the game because it didn't have a manual lockon feature. I always hit the enemies I meant to hit so I've never thought to myself that it needed one and it was never a problem for me. And what game doesn't have glitches? Skyrim and Fallout 3 have glitches up the ying-yang but everyone loves those games. Anyway I've never experienced any glitches in DmC yet anyway so they must not be a huge problem.
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
3 years ago#16
Then something is wrong with you.
---
Evolution is not true, I've had a dog for 14 years and its still a dog no change into a cat.~XTrEaMkILlA227
3 years ago#17
I think I'm closing in on the end, and so far I've liked it too. It's not phenomenal, but it doesn't deserve the vapid hate.

Truth be told, I was never really a hardcore fan of the series. I played through them, but never really paid attention to the story. Because of that, they aren't very fresh in my mind, so it is hard to compare.

I bought DmC because I like Ninja Theory, their choices with art direction, their ability to craft interesting worlds and likeable characters, and their subtle humor. They hit on all those qualities. The environments are colorful, varied, and unlike anything I've played before. Many are absurdly surreal. The boss battles are also unique. Plus, the game is full of over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek humor, but can also take itself seriously.

The angelic/demonic combat handles similar to Heavenly Sword, which makes switching weapons and chaining combos simple and fluid. I guess you could make a point that the game has been casualized, but what game hasn't? Gaming is bigger business than it was 5-10 years ago.

I haven't had any real issues. There's a little bit of texture pop-in, and choppy audio on rare occasions when loading, but nothing that ruins the experience. The gameplay and animations (especially the jumping) feel a bit stiff, but I think that is similar in the old entries too. I'm also fine with 30fps. The framerate seems solid and I've seen no tearing.
---
This signature will not change until I change it. 7/03/09
3 years ago#18
Retroxgamer0 posted...
it has a very good story and very good gameplay, so i am a fan of that. its also much better than its predecessor Devil May Cry 4 and im sure not many will try to dispute that fact. It seems to be popular, and it is getting good reviews as well, so overall i will say it was a very successful title, dispite some of the ignorant hatred towards the new Dante's style, or Ninja Theory's potential cockiness (which may be warranted cause i feel they made a game onpar with some devil may cry games, which are some of the best games the ps2 ever got) What do you think?

going in with low expectations, it has exceeded my expectations, though hasnt shattered them.

Why do you think it is better than DMC4. And leave out the story and presentation as one of the reasons. Meaning, I want you to explain why you think it has better performance and gameplay....

Better weapons that are all useful, easier to access the weapons mid combo, grapple with both grab and pull, better enemies, better AI, better platforming, no backtracking
---
Last Played: Civ 5 G&K (9.5/10)
Now Playing: XCOM Enemy Unknown, Civ 5, DmC, SOTC HD
3 years ago#19
Wozman23 posted...
I think I'm closing in on the end, and so far I've liked it too. It's not phenomenal, but it doesn't deserve the vapid hate.

Truth be told, I was never really a hardcore fan of the series. I played through them, but never really paid attention to the story. Because of that, they aren't very fresh in my mind, so it is hard to compare.

I bought DmC because I like Ninja Theory, their choices with art direction, their ability to craft interesting worlds and likeable characters, and their subtle humor. They hit on all those qualities. The environments are colorful, varied, and unlike anything I've played before. Many are absurdly surreal. The boss battles are also unique. Plus, the game is full of over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek humor, but can also take itself seriously.

The angelic/demonic combat handles similar to Heavenly Sword, which makes switching weapons and chaining combos simple and fluid. I guess you could make a point that the game has been casualized, but what game hasn't? Gaming is bigger business than it was 5-10 years ago.

I haven't had any real issues. There's a little bit of texture pop-in, and choppy audio on rare occasions when loading, but nothing that ruins the experience. The gameplay and animations (especially the jumping) feel a bit stiff, but I think that is similar in the old entries too. I'm also fine with 30fps. The framerate seems solid and I've seen no tearing.

game being casualized =/= more sales and more money. Also it's much easier to cater to loyal fans than finding a new group that may or may not stick around for the next few entries. The problem with the companies is that they think their games need to change and is capable of earning more and may earn less as a result. Taking risks is fine, just not stupid ones where you are purposely being controversial and eliminating every element that brought you X fans anyway. Persona games and other niche titles(even though persona is getting more popular, hopefully it doesn't sell out and experiment like crazy) strive off their loyal fans and even manage to get more along for the ride.
---
Check out my backlog: http://backloggery.com/aalvi
PSN ID: Aalvi-S|http://psnprofiles.com/Aalvi-S|3DS FC in Profile
3 years ago#20
wstfld posted...

Better weapons that are all useful, easier to access the weapons mid combo, grapple with both grab and pull, better enemies, better AI, better platforming, no backtracking

I don't know if you can cite "better A.I." as a point since it's been stated the first three difficulties are a cakewalk and like I said, there are certain enemies that can only be destroyed with a certain weapon thus limiting combo customizing choices.
DMC never really focused on platforming and the platforming in the game is nothing to write home about anyway since most of it its dumb easy much like Enslaved's auto platforming which was heavily criticized.
And I dont remember any weapon not being useful in the previous game...guns are certainly much more useful from the start then in this game where you need to spend a lot to upgrade them to be of use; sacrificing your other points on upgrading other things you would want (unless you've finished the game already and are playing through it again)

All in all it still takes away more than it gives based on what you said; the negatives outweigh any pluses....
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. so....i like DmC...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived