This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Today's polls shows how poor your parents are regulating your PS3 purchases

#121RebornKusabiPosted 1/20/2013 5:26:11 PM
ShibiZero posted...
Am I the only one who's worried? Like, Video Games and even they graphics are getting progressively more realistic. Maybe one day they CAN make a texture out of a real person's skin. Kids need to play less advanced day to know that games are for fun, not training to kill. Talk about the good days where you had alot of fun playing Atari 2600 games. Graphics? Nope.Fun.
Also remember books are there for the same reason. I got more mature from reading lots of books when small, and recognizing errors and the consequences of your actions.

No because the average human being knows the difference between what is real and what is fantasy. When you see a violent death or rape scene in a movie, does that make you want to emulate what is in the movie? If you're a sane individual, no.

Same principal applies in this case. I am (legit) 25, about to be 26, and after a childhood of playing violent games like Grand Theft Auto, Manhunt, Doom, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Blood Storm and other dreck like that, I turned out well.

I should also state that I am severe Bipolar and suffer from Psychosis to the point that I take medication for it both, so if anyone is eligible for being unable to discern fantasy from reality, I would be a prime candidate. Again, none of that is hyperbole. So if my insane ass can function, albeit with heavy medication, and have been able to play every violent video game known to man, then why couldn't someone who is sane?

Maybe instead of being alarmed, like the government and these parental groups want you to be, you should have more faith in us crazy people. We're not all bad... we just need to be on proper medication and have psychiatric therapy or we LOSE OUR MINDS FIRE IT UP FIRE IT UP

Hahahaha I kid I kid
---
"The whole ending to MGS2 is a clusterf***. The game was good and then *POW* La Li Lu Le Lo and S.O.P.A. for about 45 minutes." -hankyhank3416
#122jcrush089Posted 1/20/2013 5:28:13 PM
Warhawk posted...
When I was growing up my parents made sure that I knew the difference between reality and fantasy. I know I was playing games like Mortal Kombat when I was 11 and it didn't affect me really. Though can't say that every kid was like me knowing the difference cause of the ones that can't really differentiate the two due to a mental state of mind.

QFT If parents raise their kids right then they wouldnt have to worry about what violent media they take in b/c their kids would know right from wrong and the difference between reality and fantasy.
---
I know the odds are against me but if theres a way to win I'm going to find it!
#123NicodimusPosted 1/20/2013 5:39:28 PM
I know everyone likes to complain, but 10 million is nothing. It's 1/3 of a fighter jet.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#124YoungGganonPosted 1/20/2013 6:19:05 PM
I think it's stupid to get mad at Obama for this. It's a question worth answering. I certainly think it's going to show up with bogus answers, but we'll see. I don't really see the need to get pissed or rage like a prepubescent boy over something that may be a concern. I don't agree with him on gun control, but he's not hurting anyone.
---
(Now playing Dead Island, Vanquish, and PSASBR Beta)
#125Psychofang12001Posted 1/20/2013 6:28:36 PM
So much for being broke of an economy if we have that much to spare on a pointless research. It hasn't been been the first time it's happened and In the end wasted money
---
Protocol 10 will commence whenever I feel like it
#126MinamoPosted 1/20/2013 6:43:19 PM
It's sad that almost no parents play with their kids. It's the best way to not only get involved in what your child enjoys, but the easiest way to teach them right and wrong when it comes to actions that occur in video games. I assume we'll see this number climb as the NES-era generation grows older. My parents didn't play too many games with me, but my mom absolutely loved San Andreas and Animal Crossing.

It doesn't matter what games you play as a child, as long as your parents teach you right from wrong (granted they understand the concept themselves). The poll doesn't show that parents are "poor," as much as it shows a lack of interest in their child's activities.

A good poll would ask "Do you actually raise your children, or do you let video games, TV, and movies do it for you?"

Shame every bad parent would lie.
#127poolmav2007Posted 1/20/2013 6:49:23 PM
You know what I find funny. A lot of gamers will say violent games have no effects on children, then turn around and say parent need to do a better job of reviewing what children play. Gamers blame the parents, but if games don't cause violent behavior, then why blame the parents?

I know not all gamers feel this way, but I've heard these same remarks out of the same gamer too many times.

To put it simply,

Point A: Violent games doesn't case violent behavior.
Point B: Parent need to take an active roll in what they're kids play.

Why do parents need to take an active roll reviewing what children play if violent games have no effect on children?

It does and everyone knows it. It is mostly teenagers and the industry who, markets games mostly toward children and teens, who don't want any regulations on M-rated titles.

I'll never blame school shootings on video games, because that is a stretch. But children do exhibit more violent behavior after playing more violent games. No one under the age of 14 (I think 17 is a bit high) should play a M-rated game. Of course, some T-rated games are worst than M-rated. I don't let my nephew (age 10) play M-rated games when he comes over, despite the fact his dad lets him play GTA.
---
---
Cheers! Arc the Lad 2 is still my No. 1.
#128zerooo0Posted 1/20/2013 6:54:43 PM
Psychofang12001 posted...
So much for being broke of an economy if we have that much to spare on a pointless research. It hasn't been been the first time it's happened and In the end wasted money

Exactly. Why not if that's Federal money, spend that on our stinkin debt?
---
Average mind set of SOME GFaq Users
If it's the same it's boring. If it's different condemn it to death.
#129MinamoPosted 1/20/2013 7:03:23 PM(edited)
poolmav2007 posted...
You know what I find funny. A lot of gamers will say violent games have no effects on children, then turn around and say parent need to do a better job of reviewing what children play. Gamers blame the parents, but if games don't cause violent behavior, then why blame the parents?

Because the parents aren't teaching them that the actions they see in video games aren't always acceptable in the real world. The exact same argument could be made for movies, television, comics (it was and it nearly destroyed the industry), books, and music. Bad parenting leads to children thinking that violent actions in video games, movies, TV, etc, is acceptable.
#130Hawker44Posted 1/20/2013 7:01:51 PM
Considering that games like Doom & Mortal Kombat didn't exist until I was already 17, there was nothing for my parents to regulate.