This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Today's polls shows how poor your parents are regulating your PS3 purchases

#131Ampharos64Posted 1/20/2013 7:08:22 PM
Poll lacked a 'I've never liked violent games' option. Didn't play them then, don't play them now, and my parents knew that. Most 'violent' game I was ever interested in a kid was Dune, which I watched my dad play. My role was to warn about Sandworms, and encourage the use of tanks to squish enemy troops, but I'm pretty sure it never adversely affected my development. We played a lot of games together, still do from time to time, my mum as well, and she could see I react pretty much the same way she does when seeing more violent games, in gaming mags etc. 'That's not very nice'. But for the people who do enjoy that type of game (including my cousin, who has Aspeger's syndrome and has been allowed to play whatever he liked -violent shooters- since a child), I've yet to see someone who is in the slightest bit adversely affected by it. Based only on the way my sister plays games, I'm pretty sure an uninformed person might conclude she's a highly unstable individual, but this is really not the case. I can't help but cringe watching her since her attitude to NPCs is that they are there to die for her amusement. She particularly stunned me when she reached the first decision point in Infamous, because there was no pause for consideration whatsoever between the 'let the people share the food or blast them' choice coming up, and her, well, blasting them. While I'm sure many people might choose the Evil path, I'd have expected them to think about it. XD But, she hasn't actually killed anyone yet, as far as I know, and seems pretty normal to me. It's not the games that are going to lead to real life violence, it's other factors.

Dredj posted...
Perhaps these parents know their children well enough and trust them to play these games. I don't think you should be so judgemental TC.

But I'm from the UK so we are near on immune to this kind of hysteria.

Absolutely this, should've been a poll option. And yeah, though our media sometimes demonises videogames it's at least not as bad or frequent.

ShibiZero posted...
Am I the only one who's worried? Like, Video Games and even they graphics are getting progressively more realistic. Maybe one day they CAN make a texture out of a real person's skin. Kids need to play less advanced day to know that games are for fun, not training to kill. Talk about the good days where you had alot of fun playing Atari 2600 games. Graphics? Nope.Fun.
Also remember books are there for the same reason. I got more mature from reading lots of books when small, and recognizing errors and the consequences of your actions.

I think it's fine, there are still a lot of games that are quite appropriate for players under 18, and which might even benefit them positively. I've definitely learnt a lot from books too, reading is my other main interest, but I've learnt things from video games as well, and I'm sure many can say the same. I think that's a worthy focus of research, more than this, and it's really sad to see the media mostly just aren't aware enough about games to consider the possibility.
#132shawnmckPosted 1/20/2013 7:23:27 PM
JustPlainEvil posted...
10 million for game research yet he can't even get the cronies in CONgress to pass a plausible budget, as well as support rebel uprisings in other countries while trying to restrict our gun rights.

No matter who is in office, nobody will ever represent our needs properly.

I've also been buying my own games since I was 17. Am I a violent criminal? no.

^ It's the Senate's responsibility to come up with a budget, which they haven't done in 3 years.
The Congress CAN'T vote on a budget if none is brought to them.
Blame the Senate for that.

What the Congress is failing to pass is the notion of raising the debt ceiling...which is basically allowing the Government to borrow even more money.
It would be like the credit cards gave you a spending limit of $50,000....but you wanted it raised to $100,000.....
A year goes by and you reach your max at $100,000, and so you want it raised to $200,000....
A year goes by again and now you reached that limit and want it raised to $300,000....
And finally the Credit-Card company says.."That's enough, we aren't going to let you keep spending more than you are paying off"....
To which the Democrats cry foul and blame the Congress for not authorizing more spending (the debt ceiling raised).

Its scandalous what the Democrats and Obama are doing.
Keep in mind that after 8 years of Bush the deficit rose to 10 Trillion (which Obama himself called terrible and ran for President promising to reduce it)....
After 4 years of Obama it is now 16 Trillion, and estimated to be 20 to 22 trillion in another 4 years.

The problem is spending.
All that money has to be paid back. Just look at Greece and see what a huge deficit will do to a Country.
Also, the News isn't mentioning it, but according to Chinese news sources, the Chinese Government is getting pissed off at the US for not paying back a lot of the money they are owed, and is threatening to stop lending any more money.
If that happens, the US economy will collapse literally over night, because the US borrows 45 cents of every dollar it spends from China.

Also be warned, that your taxes are going to go up.
You CAN'T have such an enormous deficit without some form of high taxes, and there isn't enough rich people with that kind of money.
Taxes will have to be raised on EVERYONE in order to pay off the debt.
But Obama and the Democrats (& their willing accomplices in the News) will just blame Republicans, and you sheep will probably believe them.

You are being SCAMMED and lied to.
#133backguard222Posted 1/20/2013 7:24:20 PM
Not really.

I was playing games on the NES and SNES until I was 18. There wasn't much on those systems that would be objectionable for 10-18 year olds.
#134djwagonPosted 1/20/2013 8:42:22 PM(edited)
shawnmck posted...
JustPlainEvil posted...
10 million for game research yet he can't even get the cronies in CONgress to pass a plausible budget, as well as support rebel uprisings in other countries while trying to restrict our gun rights.

No matter who is in office, nobody will ever represent our needs properly.

I've also been buying my own games since I was 17. Am I a violent criminal? no.

^ It's the Senate's responsibility to come up with a budget, which they haven't done in 3 years.
The Congress CAN'T vote on a budget if none is brought to them.
Blame the Senate for that.

What the Congress is failing to pass is the notion of raising the debt ceiling...which is basically allowing the Government to borrow even more money.
It would be like the credit cards gave you a spending limit of $50,000....but you wanted it raised to $100,000.....
A year goes by and you reach your max at $100,000, and so you want it raised to $200,000....
A year goes by again and now you reached that limit and want it raised to $300,000....
And finally the Credit-Card company says.."That's enough, we aren't going to let you keep spending more than you are paying off"....
To which the Democrats cry foul and blame the Congress for not authorizing more spending (the debt ceiling raised).

Its scandalous what the Democrats and Obama are doing.
Keep in mind that after 8 years of Bush the deficit rose to 10 Trillion (which Obama himself called terrible and ran for President promising to reduce it)....
After 4 years of Obama it is now 16 Trillion, and estimated to be 20 to 22 trillion in another 4 years.

The problem is spending.
All that money has to be paid back. Just look at Greece and see what a huge deficit will do to a Country.
Also, the News isn't mentioning it, but according to Chinese news sources, the Chinese Government is getting pissed off at the US for not paying back a lot of the money they are owed, and is threatening to stop lending any more money.
If that happens, the US economy will collapse literally over night, because the US borrows 45 cents of every dollar it spends from China.

Also be warned, that your taxes are going to go up.
You CAN'T have such an enormous deficit without some form of high taxes, and there isn't enough rich people with that kind of money.
Taxes will have to be raised on EVERYONE in order to pay off the debt.
But Obama and the Democrats (& their willing accomplices in the News) will just blame Republicans, and you sheep will probably believe them.

You are being SCAMMED and lied to.

people keep forgetting OBAMA himself SPENT 6 trillion dollars in four years..oh that ok we really should not point fingers because he is our first AFRICAN- AMERICAN president or we will all be called racist.because we can NOT play the race card like African-American can or they use the good old fox news scam .just love how ever one that supported obama is so blinded by his bs it just makes me lol and I am from the usa and again voted for the green party again
---
when I was here before I went by the screen name IMPORTER1..