This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mp4 not supported help

#1MikeugamePosted 1/21/2013 1:27:37 AM
I use to make mkv to mp4 using mkvextract to Megui, but the dude skylord changed his encodes to 5.1 so this way is not working anymore. Now I extract then use tsremux to demux the to files to 4.1 then remux with Megui, still not working what else is needed to make it work on ps3. I dont want to do a long re-encode or boast the file size.
---
I'm just saying
#2izza20Posted 1/21/2013 1:42:39 AM
Download mkv2vob. Make them vob files instead. Never had any issues with any HD files or 5.1 encodes. Both survive the change to vob with no re-encoding and the ps3 plays them just fine.
#3Mikeugame(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 1:50:14 AM
izza20 posted...
Download mkv2vob. Make them vob files instead. Never had any issues with any HD files or 5.1 encodes. Both survive the change to vob with no re-encoding and the ps3 plays them just fine.

I tried mkvob the other day it work on ps3 but with problems it took awhile to complete,the video quality got screwed, the file was 660mb and it made it 2gb.
---
I'm just saying
#4izza20Posted 1/21/2013 2:42:31 AM
Mikeugame posted...
izza20 posted...

I tried mkvob the other day it work on ps3 but with problems it took awhile to complete,the video quality got screwed, the file was 660mb and it made it 2gb.

I have absolutely none of those issues. Check the way you have it setup.

Here's what i've got on the configuration tab:
Output type: file
Preferred language: english (likely irrelevant, but I'll include everything anyway)
Video transcoding: Automatic
Preferred subtitle language: none
File splitting: none
Output file extension: vob (this one is important, for some reason the default on automatic is to make it a .mpg which totally screws with the video properties and the way the ps3 plays it back)
Transcoding codec: MPEG-2 (fast)

If these settings do not give you a .vob file that is 100% untouched and playable by the ps3, then the .mkv file in question uses codecs that simply aren't supported by the ps3 and you'd have to transcode them anyway. But every mkv file I have ever downloaded and put through this program has taken 30 to complete and played perfectly on my ps3.
#5izza20Posted 1/21/2013 2:43:37 AM
Oh, and everything in the check boxes to the right is unchecked except for automatic update.
#6Mikeugame(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 3:43:09 PM
izza20 posted...
Oh, and everything in the check boxes to the right is unchecked except for automatic update.

Still having the problems.
---
I'm just saying
#7antoinejonesPosted 1/21/2013 3:44:41 PM
ive had mp4s that didnt work on ps3 but then i reconvert them to mp4 using another program and they work fine
---
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#8PhoenixmgsPosted 1/21/2013 5:18:23 PM(edited)
XVID4PSP (version 5 is the best, version 6 is still beta I believe) is the best converting program I've ever used. The program is poorly named as it converts anything to anything. Open the MKV file in XVID4PSP, select MP4 for the format, and select COPY for both video and audio encoding. It'll only take a few minutes to remux the video and audio (no converting) to the new container (mkv to mp4). It's much better than mkv2vob. Sometimes the audio needs to be converted as the mp4 container supports fewer audio codecs (like OGG) than the mkv container (XVID4PSP 5 will inform you if you need to convert the audio, version 6 will not), but converting audio is super quick even for old PCs.
---
"Half of writing history is hiding the truth" - Malcolm Reynolds - Serenity
#9Mikeugame(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 10:32:22 PM
Phoenixmgs posted...
XVID4PSP (version 5 is the best, version 6 is still beta I believe) is the best converting program I've ever used. The program is poorly named as it converts anything to anything. Open the MKV file in XVID4PSP, select MP4 for the format, and select COPY for both video and audio encoding. It'll only take a few minutes to remux the video and audio (no converting) to the new container (mkv to mp4). It's much better than mkv2vob. Sometimes the audio needs to be converted as the mp4 container supports fewer audio codecs (like OGG) than the mkv container (XVID4PSP 5 will inform you if you need to convert the audio, version 6 will not), but converting audio is super quick even for old PCs.

So the video will come out the same as my process, same file size, quick, quality and all.
---
I'm just saying
#10PhoenixmgsPosted 1/22/2013 10:06:12 AM
Mikeugame posted...
Phoenixmgs posted...

So the video will come out the same as my process, same file size, quick, quality and all.

Yeah, nothing will be converted (occasionally audio will), it just pulls (copies) the video and audio out of the MKV container and puts them in the MP4 container. The file size will be almost exactly the same (a slight change due to the different container but less than 1MB difference). Sometimes the file size will be smaller if the MKV has multiple audio tracks as the MP4 container only supports 1 audio track (also no subtitle track support either for MP4). If the audio does need to be converted, it won't change the file size greatly either as having to go from say OGG to MP3 or AAC isn't going to drastically change the audio size either (a few MBs, but that's it).
---
"Half of writing history is hiding the truth" - Malcolm Reynolds - Serenity