This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Enough is enough let me unlock something...

#1cyberkyberPosted 1/21/2013 7:25:39 AM
Any one remember the days where you would accomplish a difficult task and you'd actually unlock something. All we get now are lame trophies and if you want to unlock something you don't need skill you just need cash and a psn account, I find myself less interested to play the game after I completed it, not all games though some still know how it's done

Examples;
Resident evil 6
Mercenaries mode 3 stages available and the rest bought through DLC

Street fighter vs tekken;
Pay for extra characters on a fighting game (what's next 5 dollars for an uppercut)

Asura's wrath;
Real ending on DLC

Yeah I know a lot of capcom games up there.
Anyone know any other culprits?
#2TheTrueNubPosted 1/21/2013 7:27:03 AM
There's no reason to think that any of those would have been unlockables if they were not DLC.

Well, at least provided they weren't already on disc. I don't have an answer for that.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#3Dan_Dan_91_07Posted 1/21/2013 8:21:10 AM
Totally agree with you. Even if they are not on the disk already, I strongly believe it's a case of devs shelving content/space for consumers to later 're-buy' when in the previous gens they would be included in the game.

Examples? FF 13-2. The Colosseum area existed almost entirely to advertise DLC. This area is where you are able to (with the purchase of DLC) fight some fun and challenging fights for rewards, so it's basically like the battle arena in FF 7/10 or the hunts in 12 etc. There are 0 fights without DLC - simply a NPC that advertises them and a few items to pick-up.

Counter examples? I can't think of many but MGS 4 is a perfect example of the opposite. There's a huge amount of stuff to unlock but, not only this, Kojima Productions also supported the game for many months after its release with FREE downloadable content through their own servers - these included extra items, songs and the revolutionary in-game podcasts from some of the developers (think of a podcast that you listen to whilst playing that talk you through the stage you're on and gives you "making of" info and tips/Easter eggs etc).
#4SoleilArclionPosted 1/21/2013 8:24:10 AM
One of the reasons I've turned away from fighters. Used to be a single player element in doing the hard ass things to unlock characters.

Now its all out there already so the dudebros don't have to waste time.
#5jammiesPosted 1/21/2013 8:24:35 AM
1. Wait for the $60 game to drop to $30
2. Buy DLC
3. ???
4. Profit

---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#6RafedxPosted 1/21/2013 8:24:53 AM
cyberkyber posted...
Any one remember the days where you would accomplish a difficult task and you'd actually unlock something. All we get now are lame trophies and if you want to unlock something you don't need skill you just need cash and a psn account, I find myself less interested to play the game after I completed it, not all games though some still know how it's done

Examples;
Resident evil 6

Pay for extra characters on a fighting game (what's next 5 dollars for an uppercut)

Asura's wrath;
Real ending on DLC

I'm a bit bummed about this as well, I miss the days of un locakables, very few games seem to have them now. It would be nice if getting a trophy would also net you ingame rewards, from costumes, weapons, god items, etc. Would actually make trophies hold some merit.
---
http://www.terra-comic.com --> Terra: a Science Fiction Webcomic / Updates every 15th of the month.
#7Kai101xPosted 1/21/2013 9:53:27 AM
SoleilArclion posted...
One of the reasons I've turned away from fighters. Used to be a single player element in doing the hard ass things to unlock characters.

Now its all out there already so the dudebros don't have to waste time.

Same here. This is one of the main reasons why I skipped out on a lot of games this gen. Tekken tag 2 is an example. No characters, stages or modes to unlock. Characters and stages have to be unlocked through a patch. They're free but the method of getting them through updates was a turn off. It's silly to see an angel character in the intro but can't be unlocked in game. You'd think they'd make it so you have to clear arcade on the hardest difficulty to get the angel character or unknown.

Gundam vs extreme also comes to mind. All the empty character slots you see on the character select menu has to be filled in by buying the characters. All of the stages/routes are laid out too. No beating the game on hard with heero to get the other locked gundam wing character. No beat route A with a certain rank to reach an extra stage and unlock another route.
#8dankanefanPosted 1/21/2013 11:46:15 AM(edited)
I don't think some people get it. Take WWE 13 for example. It features 105 wrestlers. Yes, 105 characters to play as. However 21 of them are DLC. You pay $20 for 21 extra superstars, unlock all (if you want to use it), ability to edit in-game wrestlers' stats, 20 or so new moves, and 10 or so new belts. This essentially makes the game $80 if bought at full retail price and the DLC is purchased at full price.

Here's the thing, THQ/Yukes were able to put extra content into the game BECAUSE they charged extra for it. This raised their budget and allowed them to add more superstars than they would have been able to without the premium price.

Yes, I realize some developers/publishers abuse the system but this is the way DLC is SUPPOSED to work. The game still had over 100 unlockables. Again, I realize some games fail at unlockables though.
---
www.saccitygamer.wordpress.com (My Gaming Blog)
@SacCityGamer ~ www.facebook.com/SacCityGamer
#9Devilman_AmonPosted 1/21/2013 11:45:37 AM
This gen all you unlock is trophies or achievements
If you want to unlock anything else you need to unlock your wallet... : /
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#10ShinXaguraPosted 1/21/2013 11:47:01 AM
Rafedx posted...
cyberkyber posted...

Examples;
Resident evil 6

Asura's wrath;
Real ending on DLC

I'm a bit bummed about this as well, I miss the days of un locakables, very few games seem to have them now. It would be nice if getting a trophy would also net you ingame rewards, from costumes, weapons, god items, etc. Would actually make trophies hold some merit.

This.
---
You must defeat my SCREAMING DRAGON BULLET to stand a chance.