This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If games don't become art, then they will continue to be juvenile entertainment

#11SmoshCuchPosted 1/22/2013 7:24:14 AM
Disagree. There are other options beside those two.
#12Q_Sensei(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 7:37:40 AM
SmoshCuch posted...

Okay, name a few.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Gel15.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GOZjlwIwfk&ob=av2e If you click my sig, make sure you watch at least 60 seconds.
#13SmoshCuchPosted 1/22/2013 8:07:29 AM
Q_Sensei posted...
SmoshCuch posted...

Okay, name a few.

How about 'adult entertainment' or 'family entertainment' for starters?

Would you classify every movie ever made as either 'art' or 'juvenile entertainment'?
#14SailorSatournePosted 1/22/2013 8:10:15 AM
Zignoff posted...
Games may become "Art,", but again it will always be a secondary at MOST, it can't be any higher due to the fact that games are a PRODUCT first and foremost, they are design to sell, to hit as many people as possible. some go after a niche group, but that group is large enough to make a profit.

Unless something is made without any value to gain from it, it will never truly be art, it can't be, art can't have a price tag on it, it has to be done without those restrictions, it has to be done truly free without any thought or want of gain, and has to be done BECAUSE they want to for themselves, not for anyone else, and THEN when it loved for that, it is art.

As long as Games remain a product, then they can never truly become solely art, they can be Artistic, but never truly art.

LOL. So much wrong in this post I don't even know where to begin.

I think I'll just start with "potential monetary gain doesn't preclude artistic value"

and I think I'll just finish with, "You know the Sistine Chapel? One of the most lauded examples of art in our society? Yeah, that was commissioned by the Pope at the time. Michelangelo didn't do that for free."
---
Placeholder signature so people don't skip the last line of my posts.
#15LightningSkyPosted 1/22/2013 8:14:22 AM
It's not like all films can be considered as art, I mean we have so many sequels in films and some are even unnecessary and we even have reboots of films that are too young for a reboot. Most mainstream cinema is not designed to create art but rather make money. It's the indie films that are interested in creating art. And it's the same with video games.
#16thisranksPosted 1/22/2013 8:24:30 AM
HaloODSTD posted...
If games were handled solely by the Japanese, they will ultimately become art.

And it's comments like this that really show the ignorance of the regionally challenged. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not the assumer.

I don't have problem with how others view video games until their opinion starts to affect how i should see them. I'll start worrying about art when i see idiots actually using J and W to describe it.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#17true_gamer80Posted 1/22/2013 8:25:54 AM
SmoshCuch posted...
Q_Sensei posted...
SmoshCuch posted...

Okay, name a few.

How about 'adult entertainment' or 'family entertainment' for starters?

Would you classify every movie ever made as either 'art' or 'juvenile entertainment'?

omg somebody with basic common sense around here!
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#18Chocobo115Posted 1/22/2013 8:28:39 AM
What if games already is art and just the rest of the world is getting it?

I still rank books higher, but I def rank games over movies.
#192nd_strikerPosted 1/22/2013 8:34:53 AM
Q_Sensei posted...
we will eventually degrade into only safe-sequels.

we're already there! People want sequels that why we get them.
---
"SS7 is still putting 40+ goals in per season even if he does pretend that a tap in was a bicycle kick every now and then"
#20A_Nonny_MoosePosted 1/22/2013 8:46:01 AM(edited)
if we can't get something out there that the masses can eventually look at with the same kind of awe Film Critics give Citizen Kayne

I'm confused, why do games need to be loved by the masses but films only need to be loved by film critics? We already have games that are held in as high regard by the game community as Citizen Kane is by the film community. Super Mario Brothers 3, Final Fantasy 7, Castlevania, Shadow of the Colossus, Portal, and so on. And those are all very recent creations compared to Citizen Kane too. Give video games another 40 years and see which games from today are still being talked about. Those will be your classics.
---
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png