This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As a JRPG fan I decided to play my first mainstream FPS dudebro shooter today

#61docholliday504Posted 1/23/2013 12:19:58 PM
Chaingunmaster posted...

Yeah, a community full of __________.
Fill in the blank with whatever first came to mind.

Gamers??

As in any community (be it online or off), there are going to be a few bad apples. But the oft-promulgated myth that every game of COD or Halo is filled with "Foul-Mouthed racist 13-year-olds" is complete and utter bull****. It's a lie perpetuated by people who don't play online and hate it for no reason other than its popular.

The truth is barely anyone uses a mic online (especially on PS3). When they do, 99.9%of the time they are respectful people just looking to have a conversation and/or just say hello.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Dark Souls, Halo 4
#62ChaingunmasterPosted 1/23/2013 12:36:30 PM
docholliday504 posted...
Chaingunmaster posted...

Yeah, a community full of __________.
Fill in the blank with whatever first came to mind.

Gamers??

As in any community (be it online or off), there are going to be a few bad apples. But the oft-promulgated myth that every game of COD or Halo is filled with "Foul-Mouthed racist 13-year-olds" is complete and utter bull****. It's a lie perpetuated by people who don't play online and hate it for no reason other than its popular.

The truth is barely anyone uses a mic online (especially on PS3). When they do, 99.9%of the time they are respectful people just looking to have a conversation and/or just say hello.

In my opinion one of the biggest advantages of the PS3 is that it doesn't come with a mic; I've met some of the most unlikable people I've ever encountered on Xbox Live, and especially with COD.
I don't hate it because it's popular,I hate it because of the type of lowest common denominator trash that popularity attracts.
---
www.lucid-lives.com (My webcomic)
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#63EvilCactusPosted 1/23/2013 12:41:41 PM
I suppose the lesson the TC is trying to teach is that JRPG fans lack the coordination and mental capacity to play the most simplified of Western games. TC would be in big trouble if he ever tried to play an RPG.
---
sig here
#64spectermaster14Posted 1/23/2013 12:45:40 PM
I like the part where some people not only took this thread seriously, but agreed with it.
#65ChaingunmasterPosted 1/23/2013 12:49:42 PM
I don't agree with the thread, but that doesn't change the fact that COD's multiplayer is full of jerks, brats and racists. Of course not every game you play online is going to have them, but that argument is asinine. It's like saying that because you've never been attacked in a dark alley that dark alleys get a bad rap.
---
#66theshovellerPosted 1/23/2013 12:57:14 PM
HellsingOrg posted...
I rented the most famous of your series known as CoD and got BO2.

after awhile i got bored and turned it off.

If you all like this games and they are the most popular then I weep for this generation.

I quickly went back to my wonderful world of high quality and high class superior jrpgs.

I rented this one JRPG called "Last Rebellion" and tried to play it. I got through one fight, got bored, and shut it off. If you like games like this, then I weep for your generation. All JRPGs are like this one example, because they are JRPGs.

I quickly went back to my sports game, where the game makes sense.

Now, do you see the problem with my argument? I played one game, and judged the entire genre by that one example. Even if you switch the game I used - let's go with Final Fantasy 13 instead of something that people may not have heard of - the result is the same - using a single game as a basis for an entire genre that has, at times, wildly different approaches to "first-person shooting."

If you want some examples of other FPS games to try - and are willing to try to scrounge some of these older and / or harder-to-find titles up to give them a shot - then I would recommend to you Timeshift, Singularity, Mirror's Edge, Borderlands, and Bulletstorm. Yes, most of those involve "get a gun, shoot someone, repeat." However, it's the other mechanics used in gameplay and storytelling that make them seem... more memorable than "just any old shooter."

Just my advice, take it or leave it. Rewinding time to take a sticky bomb off you before shooting the guy who threw it mid-priming is always memorable, as is pulling a guy towards you, kicking him away, then blasting him in the posterior with your rifle for a "Rear Entry" killshot.
#67docholliday504Posted 1/23/2013 2:34:32 PM
Chaingunmaster posted...
I don't agree with the thread, but that doesn't change the fact that COD's multiplayer is full of jerks, brats and racists. Of course not every game you play online is going to have them, but that argument is asinine. It's like saying that because you've never been attacked in a dark alley that dark alleys get a bad rap.

I've walked down a dark alley to get home for 6 years, in Chicago (Which I guess is the new Baltimore), and I've never been attacked once. Maybe dark alleys do get a bad rap. 99,999/100,000 times they are just a piece of street between two buildings....not the place where Batman's Parents got shot.

And so it is with online COD games.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing...Madden 2013, Dark Souls, Halo 4
#68thesnoopmeisterPosted 1/23/2013 2:39:31 PM
This topic helpfully reminded me why I have not been on Gamefaqs for a week. Ill try again some other time.
#69agrissaPosted 1/23/2013 2:42:07 PM
Cojirosean posted...
Shineboxer posted...
>High class
>JRPG

pick one.

Care to go into more detail?
Example of high class game?
Example of a JRPG?

>Shineboxer
>Intelligent post

pick one.
---
I am the Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:2~ ~ Number of fans:7~
#70ChaingunmasterPosted 1/23/2013 2:43:20 PM
docholliday504 posted...
Chaingunmaster posted...

I've walked down a dark alley to get home for 6 years, in Chicago (Which I guess is the new Baltimore), and I've never been attacked once. Maybe dark alleys do get a bad rap. 99,999/100,000 times they are just a piece of street between two buildings....not the place where Batman's Parents got shot.

And so it is with online COD games.

You piss me off. I'm almost hoping lady luck grows tired of you next time you go for a midnight stroll.
---