This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As a JRPG fan I decided to play my first mainstream FPS dudebro shooter today

#81HellsingOrg(Topic Creator)Posted 1/24/2013 2:14:25 AM
theshoveller posted...
HellsingOrg posted...
I rented the most famous of your series known as CoD and got BO2.

after awhile i got bored and turned it off.

If you all like this games and they are the most popular then I weep for this generation.

I quickly went back to my wonderful world of high quality and high class superior jrpgs.

I rented this one JRPG called "Last Rebellion" and tried to play it. I got through one fight, got bored, and shut it off. If you like games like this, then I weep for your generation. All JRPGs are like this one example, because they are JRPGs.

I quickly went back to my sports game, where the game makes sense.

Now, do you see the problem with my argument? I played one game, and judged the entire genre by that one example. Even if you switch the game I used - let's go with Final Fantasy 13 instead of something that people may not have heard of - the result is the same - using a single game as a basis for an entire genre that has, at times, wildly different approaches to "first-person shooting."

If you want some examples of other FPS games to try - and are willing to try to scrounge some of these older and / or harder-to-find titles up to give them a shot - then I would recommend to you Timeshift, Singularity, Mirror's Edge, Borderlands, and Bulletstorm. Yes, most of those involve "get a gun, shoot someone, repeat." However, it's the other mechanics used in gameplay and storytelling that make them seem... more memorable than "just any old shooter."

Just my advice, take it or leave it. Rewinding time to take a sticky bomb off you before shooting the guy who threw it mid-priming is always memorable, as is pulling a guy towards you, kicking him away, then blasting him in the posterior with your rifle for a "Rear Entry" killshot.

I said I played one of the most popular and most sold games of the fps genre which is CoD.

You stating you played Last Rebellion is stupid because its
not popular
hardly any jrpg fans would recommend it
and you picked the worst game that no one plays

and by the way FF13 is a good Final Fantasy game and even a good one to start on.
I have many friends that never played an FF or a jrpg and loved that game.

its a new FF that caters towards the new generation.
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#82theshovellerPosted 1/24/2013 6:18:37 AM
HellsingOrg posted...
I said I played one of the most popular and most sold games of the fps genre which is CoD.

You stating you played Last Rebellion is stupid because its
not popular
hardly any jrpg fans would recommend it
and you picked the worst game that no one plays

and by the way FF13 is a good Final Fantasy game and even a good one to start on.
I have many friends that never played an FF or a jrpg and loved that game.

its a new FF that caters towards the new generation.

The point is the same - the exact same. I played one game of a genre, and then decreed the entire genre as "not worthy of my time." Now tell me, which game from this generation should I use as my "basis" for JRPGs as a whole? Only one, mind you - we're assuming that this person only plays one game to represent everything that is JRPGs.

It's the same problem with someone who plays a single shooter and judges the entire genre by that one example. You played Call of Duty. Is that representative of the entire genre? Hell no. It's popular and it sold a lot, but truth be told, I own one Call of Duty game that I got bundled in a replacement PS3 system, and I have never played it. I don't dig the emphasis on multiplayer deathmatch, I don't dig the modern-day military atmosphere and story, it's just not my thing. I can (and have) recommended games that, in my opinion, blow Call of Duty out of the water in almost every regard. Not everyone will like shooters - that's fine - but when someone tries a single one, regardless of popularity, and then insults the people who like that genre, it's in extremely poor taste.

The short version? You were way too quick to judge. The short, short version? Try another one.
#83ChaingunmasterPosted 1/24/2013 6:33:47 AM
I enjoy FPS games, it's COD I hate, or rather the multiplayer component. Is it in poor taste to condemn the many for the actions of a few? It's certainly not in good taste, but it's still how I feel.
Oh, and in the extremely unlikely event that you care, I didn't respond to you because I have you on ignore now, doc. I was beginning to feel bad about the things I was saying, though I doubt you'll believe it, and didn't want to read anything more that would fuel my anger.
---
www.lucid-lives.com (My webcomic)
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#84calhoun1389Posted 1/24/2013 6:51:28 AM
Just get Ni No Kuni and tell me its not better than CoD

Story wise? Probably, but then again, people don't play FPS for their story, we play them to complete with other people. It's not a genre that every can get into and it's especially hard to get into if all you want to do is play alone and fight the computer.

I mean, where's the gameplay? Where is the exploration and puzzles? Where are the sidequests?

Um, in other genres where they belong? God, FPS games would be boring as hell if you had to solve a puzzle just to get to the other players.

But seriously, what is so hard to grasp about having a genre that's solely based around people's competitive nature and wanting to play against other people? It's not like the FPS community is riding your ass about never stepping a foot online to prove your skills or anything. Just because you like to sit in your room/living room, playing video games all alone doesn't mean everyone does. Not that I don't like a few Single Player games, but playing only offline games all the time would quickly bore me and cause me to sell my system, much like I did my PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, N64, Playstation, and Super NES.

I enjoy FPS games, it's COD I hate, or rather the multiplayer component. Is it in poor taste to condemn the many for the actions of a few? It's certainly not in good taste, but it's still how I feel.
Oh, and in the extremely unlikely event that you care, I didn't respond to you because I have you on ignore now, doc. I was beginning to feel bad about the things I was saying, though I doubt you'll believe it, and didn't want to read anything more that would fuel my anger.

You have anger issues. You should get that checked out.
---
http://digitalmasters.4umotion.com/ Join and make friends.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#85Shy420Posted 1/24/2013 6:54:01 AM
Curious, you said FPS dudebro shooter but failed to say that you're a JRPG weeaboo fan. I mean the best thing you can do when you want people to believe your objective is to be insulting. That always makes people believe your serious and that the post isn't going to be a troll topic. Just saying is all.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#86ChaingunmasterPosted 1/24/2013 9:02:48 AM
calhoun1389 posted...

I have, most therapists give up. The bravest one even said I enjoyed it to much to stop.
---
#87Shy420Posted 1/24/2013 9:08:34 AM
Chaingunmaster posted...
calhoun1389 posted...

I have, most therapists give up. The bravest one even said I enjoyed it to much to stop.

Wow a true to life badass, here, on gamefaqs.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#88ChaingunmasterPosted 1/24/2013 9:09:43 AM
Shy420 posted...
Chaingunmaster posted...
calhoun1389 posted...

To the contrary, I think it's more pathetic than it is cool.
---
#89theshovellerPosted 1/24/2013 9:09:56 AM
Shy420 posted...

Don't make fun of him. Mister Furious is a very vital member of our group. He once lifted a bus!
#90ChaingunmasterPosted 1/24/2013 9:10:54 AM
Does getting run over by one count? It might have gone up a little for a second or two.
---