This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people avoid games without trophies?

#1aPimp_named_leEPosted 1/22/2013 10:46:24 PM
I have two brother-in-laws that have this mentality. one is 32 while the other is 12. (i know others as well, but the age of these two help set up and somewhat destroy the stereotype of old gen versus new gen gamers) they won't touch any game on the ps3 like saints row 2, assassin's creed, ratchet and clank (the first one on the ps3) or any classic game for this reason if if they do like the series as a whole (which they do in regards to AC and RC). Why do these fake rewards matter so much to people? Back in the day beating the game or getting the strongest armor and weapons were all the rewards needed. maybe there is a really basic answer i am overlooking, or maybe it lies in some in-depth psychological explanation (could make for a nice paper topic for high school/college).

I do like trophies by the way. they definitely help in regards to adding longevity to a game and help one feel accomplished, but i think its rather silly to completely avoid games you would normally enjoy playing simply because a trophy system is not in place.
---
~I will floss my teeth with your soul~
#2Seifer_usPosted 1/22/2013 10:55:03 PM
I'm just the opposite. I'd probably buy more games if they didn't have trophies because I don't like to run the risk of one game with some insane trophy messing up my nearly perfect record. Super Street Fighter IV, anyone?
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#3Stanger5150Posted 1/22/2013 10:57:28 PM
Because they have their preferences. Nothing weird about it. Whatever their reasons are, if you don't get it, it's not for you to understand.

Personally, I like trophies, but I don't consider them before buying a game. Sometimes it's actually kind of nice playing a game without trophies.

I am a trophy hunter in spurts... and it's the same thing as when I chased the high scores in Ms. Pac-Man, Rampage, Smash TV, Roadblasters, and Space Invaders back in the day.

Personal gaming milestones are nothing new... they just have different names now. I remember when Nintendo Power had challenges, and asked readers to send pics of high scores and proof that a Game Genie wasn't used.

Trophies are the same thing. Not much has really changed.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Far Cry 3, Final Fantasy, Midway Arcade Origins, Final Fantasy V, Castlevania Chronicles, Xexyz
#4jameswintertonPosted 1/22/2013 10:58:32 PM
I like trophies because I want to get my trophy level as high as possible.

Different strokes and all that.

I dont get why people are offended by others playing their games in a certain way tbh
---
psn: jrwinterton
#5enigma2274Posted 1/22/2013 11:00:15 PM
I could care less about trophies. I play games to see the story through to the end.
---
Currently playing:EDF 2017, P3P, LBP Vita, Far Cry 3, Ni No Kuni
#6DefYouthPosted 1/22/2013 11:01:28 PM
I don't care about trophies but I can see their appeal. I can't imagine someone not wanting to play a great game just because there are no trophies though. That's kind of silly.
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis
#7jrr18Posted 1/22/2013 11:02:12 PM
enigma2274 posted...
I could care less about trophies. I play games to see the story through to the end.

This
---
Victory over Capcom the game demon through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#8Stanger5150Posted 1/22/2013 11:02:32 PM
jameswinterton posted...
I like trophies because I want to get my trophy level as high as possible.

Different strokes and all that.

I dont get why people are offended by others playing their games in a certain way tbh

It's the "instead of trying to learn something about what I don't understand, I'll just hate it and judge it because it's different than the way I do things" mentality.

The same basic mentality that causes racism, holy wars, and homophobia.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Far Cry 3, Final Fantasy, Midway Arcade Origins, Final Fantasy V, Castlevania Chronicles, Xexyz
#9hrjPosted 1/22/2013 11:03:28 PM
jrr18 posted...
enigma2274 posted...

This

That.
---
PSN/GT - Hennaboy
#10AwesomePS3gamerPosted 1/22/2013 11:05:51 PM
I don't, I stopped caring about trophies 2 years ago.