This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Today's news and video games are focused with violence/shooters?

#1Jx1010Posted 1/23/2013 2:12:31 AM(edited)
Are video game companies choosing to make most games into shooting games so video games get some blame for shootings for some reason?

Is it a coincidence that....
shooting games are currently most popular......
plus other genres of games have been purposely turned into shooting games.......
plus shootings happened to happen at the same time....
plus video games get blamed for shooters instead of movies/media?
#2Chocobo115Posted 1/23/2013 2:10:02 AM
yes it's a coincidence.

I think Americans should investigate the relation between shootings and the overflow of guns to the public. I think they might get onto something if they try that for once.
#3WiiareVenomPosted 1/23/2013 2:11:19 AM
The sudden frequency of shootings is weird, but politicians were trying to ban games long before shooters were popular. Heck, they tried to ban comic books.
---
You must let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata, hiding inside with the candy, hoping kids don't breakthrough with a stick.
#4Devilman_AmonPosted 1/23/2013 2:14:22 AM(edited)
Video games are shooter based because the developers are trying to cater to the U.S. which is an obsessive gun culture and also now because they are taking advantage of this gens focus on online MP. And any of that popularity trickles over to Canada and EU accordingly.

You don't see FPS being developed in Japan because that country was no born out of guns and does not have a gun culture fetish history.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#5Jx1010(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 2:15:34 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Video games are shooter based because the developers are trying to cater to the U.S. which is an obsessive gun culture and also now because they are tasking advantage of this gens focus on online MP. And any of that popularity trickles over to Canada and EU accordingly.

You don't see FPS being developed in Japan because that country was no born out of guns and does not have a gun culture fetish history.

However u gotta admit that guns are sensationalized and made to look cool even as you kill in movies and games....
Instead if they showed ''reality'' of what guns do, this wouldnt happen...
its the way guns are shown, not the fact that they are legal
#6RoxasANobodyPosted 1/23/2013 2:20:23 AM
WiiareVenom posted...
The sudden frequency of shootings is weird.

Let's stop right there for a sec. I'm not one to jump up and say "CONSPIRACY!" at the drop of a dime, but isn't it a bit...fishy? I don't mean to turn this into the Paranormal/Conspiracy board, but it seems too synchronized. Or it seems to have triggered something in other mentally inefficient people to go about their plans. It's all the media's fault.

Little Tommy died? Well, instead of not shedding light on the incident for the next few weeks, let's talk about the killer! For example, why the hell do I still have to hear about the guy who killed people in Colorado? I even had a friend who was supposed to go to that movie that very night. He could've died, yet I don't give a damn about that guy nor should anyone else. Everyone who wanted their five seconds of fame wants it now due to the idiocy known as the media.

It's equivalent to feeding the trolls here. They get a good kick out of "LOL PS3 sucks. LOL I know this board likes Ni no Kuni, so that game can go suck a huge d***! ROFLOLMAO LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE MAD B^]!" and when people give them that attention, they want to come back. The outcomes are obviously different, but the moral result is the same.
---
"Fantastic baby."
Currently playing: R&C HD Collection, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Assassin's Creed III
#7WiiareVenomPosted 1/23/2013 2:31:45 AM(edited)
RoxasANobody posted...
WiiareVenom posted...
The sudden frequency of shootings is weird.

Let's stop right there for a sec. I'm not one to jump up and say "CONSPIRACY!" at the drop of a dime, but isn't it a bit...fishy? I don't mean to turn this into the Paranormal/Conspiracy board, but it seems too synchronized. Or it seems to have triggered something in other mentally inefficient people to go about their plans. It's all the media's fault.

Little Tommy died? Well, instead of not shedding light on the incident for the next few weeks, let's talk about the killer! For example, why the hell do I still have to hear about the guy who killed people in Colorado? I even had a friend who was supposed to go to that movie that very night. He could've died, yet I don't give a damn about that guy nor should anyone else. Everyone who wanted their five seconds of fame wants it now due to the idiocy known as the media.

It's equivalent to feeding the trolls here. They get a good kick out of "LOL PS3 sucks. LOL I know this board likes Ni no Kuni, so that game can go suck a huge d***! ROFLOLMAO LOOK AT HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE MAD B^]!" and when people give them that attention, they want to come back. The outcomes are obviously different, but the moral result is the same.

Possible, but what I gleamed from the various stories is that they all had different motives. The one yesterday in Texas was likely gang related, as it was a gun fight that arose from an argument. The Newtown guy was a controlling freak who did not want to be sent to the booby hatch, and was jealous of kids. A recent shooting at a college was about a guy attacking his financial planner or something. That preacher's kid who killed his family did it because he didn't get to play a video game, etc.

my keyboard sucks<.<
---
You must let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata, hiding inside with the candy, hoping kids don't breakthrough with a stick.
#8Devilman_AmonPosted 1/23/2013 2:47:50 AM
Jx1010 posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...
Video games are shooter based because the developers are trying to cater to the U.S. which is an obsessive gun culture and also now because they are tasking advantage of this gens focus on online MP. And any of that popularity trickles over to Canada and EU accordingly.

However u gotta admit that guns are sensationalized and made to look cool even as you kill in movies and games....
Instead if they showed ''reality'' of what guns do, this wouldnt happen...
its the way guns are shown, not the fact that they are legal

Well yeah, the majority of people in the U.S. that own guns aren't killing anyone with them. They're mainly used as deterrents, piece of mind to alleviate paranoia, hobby toys, or extensions of their overcompensation of something they were born lacking with in size...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#9hockeybub89Posted 1/23/2013 4:09:13 AM
Americans as a whole are a violent people. And we are also stubborn. Taking away guns isn't going to stop murders like it does in other countries. Killers will just switch weapons. The issue is a lot deeper than that. It's a culture.

This is all moot though because no one is going to ban guns or video games here. Logic will win out and the lawmakers will realize that all they would be doing is sticking a band aid on a sucking chest wound and telling you to pretend everything is better now.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#10SieKensouPosted 1/23/2013 7:32:42 AM(edited)
ShadianVise posted...
It's a multi-facated issue, really. Everyone wants to point the finger at something to blame (usually something already on their agenda), but I find it's almost always a case of all of the above. Violent media has been shown to cause aggressiveness, but the bigger issue is that society is violent as a whole. Violent games are made because they are demanded, as are movies and other forms of media. We need to tackle violence issues on a societal level by taking steps towards decreasing the reverence society has for violence and enforcing age restrictions for the most malleable of demographics.

(i hope it's ok to post it here. i agree with this point. and says it much better than i can...)
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462