This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Today's news and video games are focused with violence/shooters?

#11OfficeChairPosted 1/23/2013 6:40:10 AM
It's a popular narrative in the media but perhaps SOME research should be done. You're going to tell me that violent games have zero effect when EVERYTHING has an effect on people in some way. REAL science needs to be done to find out what the effect is... and gamers should divorce themselves from blindly defending their favorite media.
---
this topic is ruined
[i really hate classic rock]
#12ShineboxerPosted 1/23/2013 6:40:36 AM
They should ban JRPG's.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#13WiiareVenomPosted 1/23/2013 12:06:46 PM
OfficeChair posted...
It's a popular narrative in the media but perhaps SOME research should be done. You're going to tell me that violent games have zero effect when EVERYTHING has an effect on people in some way. REAL science needs to be done to find out what the effect is... and gamers should divorce themselves from blindly defending their favorite media.

History is a better display than "REAL science". There have been many studies on games already anyway.

The Roman colosseum is the prime example. Long before games, tv, or even books as we know them(perhaps the greatest trash) people watched other people getting thrown to lions and beasts for fun..
---
You must let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata, hiding inside with the candy, hoping kids don't breakthrough with a stick.
#14WiiareVenomPosted 1/23/2013 12:13:34 PM
Shineboxer posted...
They should ban JRPG's.

They should ban banning.
---
You must let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata, hiding inside with the candy, hoping kids don't breakthrough with a stick.
#15OfficeChairPosted 1/23/2013 3:55:01 PM
WiiareVenom posted...
OfficeChair posted...

History is a better display than "REAL science". There have been many studies on games already anyway.

The Roman colosseum is the prime example. Long before games, tv, or even books as we know them(perhaps the greatest trash) people watched other people getting thrown to lions and beasts for fun..

History is subjective. You're insane.
---
this topic is ruined
[i really hate classic rock]
#16boofiePosted 1/23/2013 4:14:33 PM
If someone runs into a populated area and tries to kill everybody with a "Meteor" spell we can probably blame video games for that one.
#17Jx1010(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 11:20:18 PM
boofie posted...
If someone runs into a populated area and tries to kill everybody with a "Meteor" spell we can probably blame video games for that one.

..heh...
#18beebarbPosted 1/23/2013 11:51:17 PM
The whole issue of Games generates violence is utter nonsense. Anyone with even basic book knowledge about Psychology would probably tell you that the belief that games are the problem is the real issue here.

Someone's personal beliefs and indirectly the beliefs of their parents, affect people in many ways. This is usually not a negative thing, but under certain conditions it can be a problem. When a belief is strong enough, certain people can produce what they expect.

If parents educate their children from a young age that games are a form of entertainment and at times, an outlet for their anger and violent thoughts, rather than leaving them uninformed or pushing the belief of games cause violence, we wouldn't have this issue.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#19ChipChippersonPosted 1/23/2013 11:51:52 PM
There's something to be said for the 'news' media inspiring copycats. Baseball won't air a streaker running across the field because they don't want to promote that kind of behavior but making losers who otherwise would have slit their wrists in the tub infamous through 24/7 news coverage, nah nobody is inspired by that. No loser would ever seek fame or going out in a spectacular blaze of glory. /s

It's not guns, it's not games, it's not entertainment. It's this fame at all costs culture that we have. Everybody wants their 15 minutes even if it has to be bought in blood.

The fact that we dope up children with pharmaceuticals and change their entire neurochemistry almost from birth doesn't help either. From what I've read, almost all of these mass shooters were either on or withdrawling from anti-depressants.

''Subsequently, mass shootings and other violent incidents started to be reported. More often than not, the common denominator was that the shooters were on an antidepressant, or withdrawing from one. This is not about an isolated incident or two but numerous shootings. The question is, during the past twenty years is the use of antidepressants here a coincidence or a causation?

There have been too many mass shootings for it just to be a coincidence. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed twelve students and a teacher at Columbine High School. Eric was on Luvox, an antidepressant. The Virginia Tech shooter killed thirty-two people and he was on an antidepressant. While withdrawing from Prozac, Kip Kinkel murdered his mother and stepmother. He then shot twenty-two classmates and killed two. Jason Hoffman wounded five at his high school while he was on Effexor, also an antidepressant. James Holmes opened fire in a Colorado movie theater this past summer and killed twelve people and wounded fifty-eight. He was under the care of a psychiatrist but no information has been released as to what drug he must have been on.''

http://www.cchrflorida.org/blog/antidepressants-are-a-prescription-for-mass-shootings/
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.