This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Well, this is unexpected...[SLICE & DICE & SLICE & DICE]

#1PAAGGpewpewPosted 1/23/2013 3:43:51 AM
Whoa, could it be that Metal Gear Rising Revengeance will be one of the best games of last gen? The demo has me amazed and shocked. Is Revengeance a step in the right direction (unlike DmC) and push the boundaries of the action genre, much like Ninja Gaiden (2004) did?

(disclaimer: this topic is based off the demo and not full game)

I was quite relieved after the first cutscene that MGR does not try to insult our intelligence with having a serious yet over the top pretentious storyline. Also, the cutscene was not that long, so hopefully this game will not torture people with long drawn out silly cutscene, nonsensical storyline stuff. Sure, the story in Revengeance may not be that great, but at least it does not try to be pretentious. This is a game about the gameplay, which games should be.

The slicing and dicing is fantastic and much better than non-gameplay pewpew stuff. Cool platforming and I like the interface and such. I also liked the music, so far.

Biggest +
NOT A PEWPEW OR PAAGG
HARDCORE game for HARDCORE gamers (buh-bye casuals)
BLADE MODE!!!!!!!!!

Biggest -
Robots that moo (robots are not cows)
Jack the Ripper split personality

I guess the Raiden Metal Gear games are the only Metal Gear games that I will ever like. Now, I am not sure I will buy this game, but I definitely want to play it by renting or price drop or sale or used.

Platinum Games are no slouch!
#2DemiFistPosted 1/23/2013 3:46:48 AM
PAAGGpewpew posted...
Whoa, could it be that Metal Gear Rising Revengeance will be one of the best games of last gen? The demo has me amazed and shocked. Is Revengeance a step in the right direction (unlike DmC) and push the boundaries of the action genre, much like Ninja Gaiden (2004) did?

(disclaimer: this topic is based off the demo and not full game)

I was quite relieved after the first cutscene that MGR does not try to insult our intelligence with having a serious yet over the top pretentious storyline. Also, the cutscene was not that long, so hopefully this game will not torture people with long drawn out silly cutscene, nonsensical storyline stuff. Sure, the story in Revengeance may not be that great, but at least it does not try to be pretentious. This is a game about the gameplay, which games should be.

The slicing and dicing is fantastic and much better than non-gameplay pewpew stuff. Cool platforming and I like the interface and such. I also liked the music, so far.

Biggest +
NOT A PEWPEW OR PAAGG
HARDCORE game for HARDCORE gamers (buh-bye casuals)
BLADE MODE!!!!!!!!!

Biggest -
Robots that moo (robots are not cows)
Jack the Ripper split personality

I guess the Raiden Metal Gear games are the only Metal Gear games that I will ever like. Now, I am not sure I will buy this game, but I definitely want to play it by renting or price drop or sale or used.

Platinum Games are no slouch!

demo didn't do anything for me.
I'm enjoying DmC much more.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#3killakPosted 1/23/2013 3:48:11 AM

While I did enjoy the MGR demo, DmC is absolutely kick ass so far. Nice long levels, lots of combat and great visuals and environments.
---
When the evil Shredder attacks, These turtle boys don't cut 'em no slack.
#4PAAGGpewpew(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 3:55:43 AM
DemiFist posted...

MGR - 60FPS compared to DmC's subpar 30FPS (not talking about PAAGGs either)

MGR - stellar combat, unlike the clunky combat that Ninja Theory is famous for, as you can tell with DmC (I think the capital C stands for "Clunky")

So refreshing for a game in this day and age to not use guns. All the gun casuals this gen must be flipping out since Raiden's main weapon is a sword. Sword >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gun pewpewz

Fox Engine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Unreal Engine

MGR is made by a competent developer (Platinum). DmC was made by a very incompetent developer (Ninja Theory). You would think that Ninja Theory would be a good developer, judging by their name, and Ninja Theory are a disappointment to ninjas everywhere.
#5DemiFistPosted 1/23/2013 4:12:20 AM
PAAGGpewpew posted...
DemiFist posted...

MGR - 60FPS compared to DmC's subpar 30FPS (not talking about PAAGGs either)

MGR - stellar combat, unlike the clunky combat that Ninja Theory is famous for, as you can tell with DmC (I think the capital C stands for "Clunky")

So refreshing for a game in this day and age to not use guns. All the gun casuals this gen must be flipping out since Raiden's main weapon is a sword. Sword >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gun pewpewz

Fox Engine >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Unreal Engine

MGR is made by a competent developer (Platinum). DmC was made by a very incompetent developer (Ninja Theory). You would think that Ninja Theory would be a good developer, judging by their name, and Ninja Theory are a disappointment to ninjas everywhere.

60 FPS isn't making me enjoy MGR more than DMC.
Stellar combat? Not really, I prefer DmC's combat flow.
and as far as it being 'clunky' LMFAO...
that would be an issue with you lacking skill. DmC's combat is butter.
and I find Ninja Theory to be a good developer that had trouble finding their groove until DmC, they are very much a capable developer.
As far as I'm concerned P* and NT are both on equal ground. They've both had their Up and down moments.
Bayonetta had great gameplay... nothing else about it was good though.
Vanquish... Same as above.
Anarchy Reigns... Mediocre in every way.
MadWorld... One of my favorite wii games, but shallow us hell, still deeper than AR though.
For Ninja Theory
Heavenly Sword was a decent GoW clone with really well done cinematics, facial animations etc...
Enslaved had really shallow combat and platforming but the story was entertaining, and had good characters.
DmC is easily their best work as I've already stated.
Of course these are all my opinions.
Either way I like them both, but I like DmC much more than what I have played of MGR.
I will be buying it so my opinion may change with the final product.
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#6ScreamingMidgetPosted 1/23/2013 4:16:03 AM(edited)
Last gen? The gen is still ongoing...

Also,

As far as I'm concerned P* and NT are both on equal ground.

LOL
#7killakPosted 1/23/2013 4:16:49 AM
I like how Greer specifically states that he's judging a demo of MGR, yet all he needed from DmC was the demo, to judge it completely.

Second time i've seen it today
---
I believe in Jesus Christ, the exclamation.........
#8PAAGGpewpew(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 4:24:05 AM
ScreamingMidget posted...
Last gen? The gen is still ongoing...

WiiU made PS3 last gen. I have already upgraded to the future of gaming with the WiiU.

DemiFist posted...
60 FPS isn't making me enjoy MGR more than DMC.
Stellar combat? Not really, I prefer DmC's combat flow.
and as far as it being 'clunky' LMFAO...
that would be an issue with you lacking skill. DmC's combat is butter.
and I find Ninja Theory to be a good developer that had trouble finding their groove until DmC, they are very much a capable developer.
As far as I'm concerned P* and NT are both on equal ground. They've both had their Up and down moments.
Bayonetta had great gameplay... nothing else about it was good though.
Vanquish... Same as above.
Anarchy Reigns... Mediocre in every way.
MadWorld... One of my favorite wii games, but shallow us hell, still deeper than AR though.
For Ninja Theory
Heavenly Sword was a decent GoW clone with really well done cinematics, facial animations etc...
Enslaved had really shallow combat and platforming but the story was entertaining, and had good characters..

The more action packed action sandwiched between more action made me love the action of MgR much more than DmC
Ninja Theory = clunky. Look up clunky in the dictionary and you will see NT listed
Platinum make good games, unlike NT tho
Yeah, I don't like Bayo. Cheesiest story in existence. I can't stand it, it makes me cringe.
Heavenly Sword had super clunky combat. Also, facial expressions and cinematics does make a great game, not.
Monkey was a really stupid ass character

Unlike Ninja Theory, Stella got her groove back.

killak posted...
I like how specifically states that he's judging a demo of MGR, yet all he needed from DmC was the demo, to judge it completely.

Second time i've seen it today

DmC has lame characters, clunky unpolished combat, dumb story and dialogue written by 5 year olds, super ugly unreal engine graphics, bad physics, super linear and scripted, easy gameplay, etc. There is nothing redeeming about DmC. It follows super lame modern LCDG formula. So generic.

Also, DmC does nothing new for the action genre, while MgR pushes the action genre to the limit with the pedal to the metal. MgR is how action games should be done, unlike Donte mediocre Clunky.
#9DocDeliciousPosted 1/23/2013 4:25:26 AM
killak posted...

While I did enjoy the MGR demo, DmC is absolutely kick ass so far. Nice long levels, lots of combat and great visuals and environments.

It's f****** good, right?

MGR is looking great too though. Demo is pretty awesome. It's the only demo I've ever kept on my PS3 for more than a couple months. Playing around with blade mode is...refreshing. Love the block mechanics as well; feels great getting those "perfect blocks" (whatever you want to call them).
---
DmC, Vanquish, Sound Shapes, Mass Effect Trilogy, Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles, King's Field, Far Cry 3, Monster Hunter FU, Chrono Cross
PSN: DocDelicious
#10zerooo0Posted 1/23/2013 4:26:02 AM
The game is not running on the Fox Engine.
---
CoD>Dog Turd>Gaming Community>GFAQS Community