This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tales Producer: Japanese Devs "Going Back To Their Roots"

#31deprofundis442Posted 1/23/2013 8:47:34 AM
It's easy to say "go back to your roots" when you never had to change anything. A lot of Japanese devs kept doing what they always do when this gen started and it didn't work for them.

Tales of is simplistic and appeals to people who adore its simplistic nature. At some point, their audience won't be there anymore, and this guy won't be thinking like that then.
#32SieKensouPosted 1/23/2013 8:47:42 AM
thisranks posted...
Evil_Gogeta posted...
Thanks for the topic, but I feel this is just made up or a massive wrong translation. I`ve followed Tales media a bit here and they`ve never really said anything regarding westernizing it nor making too big of a change out of the Tales` past games.

It's just someone looking to push the regional agenda. As long as they don't make a big deal out of it in game i don't care.

If it is true, the odds are excellent that the reply was because the question that was asked put the respondent "in between a rock and a hard place". It's obvious that there are regionally challenged amongst the media as well, and these questions are going to be asked.

From what i've seen and games i've played the regional issue isn't as big a deal on the development side or we'd be seeing it plastered all over game boxes and in the text itself. Anybody with good business sense knows to stay away from bias when possible.

umm... Like how Culture is different between East Asian and Western locales, gameplay designs have different flavours between the two..
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#33sharinguyPosted 1/23/2013 12:37:39 PM
Bayonetta_ posted...
hambaconegg posted...
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/12618.html

"With regards to the Tales franchise, we've never made an effort to 'westernize' it. We feel that Western developers are good at certain things, while Japanese developers are good at other things. Rather than us trying to copy Western developers, we really try to look within ourselves and try to improve ourselves. The Tales franchise has been a personal struggle to better ourselves and the franchise."

-sorry for the copy and paste format. My browser's copy paste sux and some of my phones' keys are broken.

Japanese devs are extremely ignorant. You can't improve by looking within only. Life is about connecting and absorbing/learning from that which is different. NOBODY IN GAMING IS GOOD AT CERTAIN THINGS. Such limited thinking is way Japan as a country is failing as it is.

1. First off, human beings should always be moving forward in life while never forgetting their roots. Going back in time tells me they fear change or simply can't handle it.

2. Their roots is limited by Anime. Todays Japanese games panders to basically Anime and/or Loli lovers. There aren't any games free of Anime influence. Yakuza series almost had it but alot of the stuff in there is Anime-like and down right crazy.

3. Lasty, Old school Anime had more grown ups and much more series plots. Tales games so far have every annoying modern Anime cliche there is.

so Mario is now anime? Zelda is now anime? Metal Gear Solid is now anime? Bayonneta is now anime? Monster Hunter is now anime? Vanquish is now anime? Tekken, Soul Calibur, MvCe are now anime? Gran Turismo and Ace combat are now anime?

you sure are right that japan only makes anime games with loli nowadays.
---
PSN: Dorman_777
Pokemon Black FC: 5414-9379-0757
#34Divine_LightPosted 1/23/2013 12:50:01 PM
I hope they stick to these words in the next generation, this generation I felt Japanese developers had some identity issue, some of the most successful ones were successful because they stick with what they did, The fighting series, Persona , Catherine Demon (Dark) Souls, MGS4 and so on, anyone who tried to "westernize" became a laughing stock ( RE6)
---
Currently playing:SFXT, Yakuza: Dead Souls.
Waiting for :Metal Gear Revengeance, Last Gaurdian,Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
#35SigmaHacielPosted 1/23/2013 12:52:27 PM
Divine_Light posted...
I hope they stick to these words in the next generation, this generation I felt Japanese developers had some identity issue, some of the most successful ones were successful because they stick with what they did, The fighting series, Persona , Catherine Demon (Dark) Souls, MGS4 and so on, anyone who tried to "westernize" became a laughing stock ( RE6)

You're going to need a shield, because morons believe the Souls duo are WRPGs.

But you are right. Developers in general have lost their damn minds. They are either trying to pander to the lowest common denominator (IE the morons), or they are trying to be what they just can't.

Look at Suda, for a good example of what everyone SHOULD be doing. He really hasn't abandoned what he has always done. He is STILL putting out insanely stylized games. Maybe they aren't the best in gameplay, whatever, but he is consistent. He is STILL Suda.
#36TerotrousPosted 1/23/2013 1:01:37 PM
hambaconegg posted...
With regards to the Tales franchise, we've never made an effort to 'westernize' it. We feel that Western developers are good at certain things, while Japanese developers are good at other things. Rather than us trying to copy Western developers, we really try to look within ourselves and try to improve ourselves. The Tales franchise has been a personal struggle to better ourselves and the franchise.

I've been saying this for years. Companies like Capcom and Square Enix try to westernize their properties and all they do is make people hate them.

Remember Front Mission Evolved? Or have you blocked them out of your memory already?

TheWarHorse posted...
JRPG's simply aren't relevant anymore. Accept it and move on.

They're way more relevant than terrible Japanese-made WRPGs or FPS games.

Bayonetta_ posted...
2. Their roots is limited by Anime. Todays Japanese games panders to basically Anime and/or Loli lovers. There aren't any games free of Anime influence. Yakuza series almost had it but alot of the stuff in there is Anime-like and down right crazy.

Demon's Souls? Nier? Anything by Nintendo?

3. Lasty, Old school Anime had more grown ups and much more series plots. Tales games so far have every annoying modern Anime cliche there is.

.Hack, Spice and Wolf, Eden of the East, etc.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery